Working Dog

Help Support CattleToday:

Loch Valley Fold

Reaction score
Took our new pup Diesel out to meet the cows yesterday at 11 weeks old we've not had time to see if he has what it takes to make a working dog, heres a couple of pics don't think we need to worry. I'm there with him as "back up" should one of the cows/ calves become a little too pushy. He already shows that he's going to have force - maybe too much for the sheep but we'll worry about that later
Diesel1.jpg

Diesel2.jpg

Hi Ken
He is a mix of Kelpie & Border Collie, parents don't work but grandparents were bred & worked on a dairy farm. This is a cross that I really like

We breed mostly Angus, we've started selling a couple of bulls as well lately as they the quality that I would breed with. We've just started playing around with Dexters for milking we've used a Jersey bull over the entire herd this year as I didn't want the hassle of running 2 bulls. The cow pictured is the most protective mamma we have she just didn't want to back off & her calves are 9 mths old

I hope he does well for you! Looks like he is off to a great start. Interesting coloration of the cattle, the red/black. Are those highlands, too? How well do they mix with the bulls and how is their temperament? I've never been around any so it's neat to see them!

Diesel should do alright, he has some big boots to fill he is going to be compared to our other dog Rocky. The red/black are Jersey x Angus & were in our dairy herd until they got too old for milking, than got retired to our farm to raise calves for a few more years yet. The highlands are the last 2 we kept from our purebred herd we had kept 3 but Flora passed away a couple of months ago from natural causes (she was about 20yrs) we culled the rest as my step daughter was afraid of them & the bull produced some real feral tempered calves. Their x-bred calves don't have as much hair as the purebreds, do in summer/spring they slick right up & look like any other Angus. These cows will wean calves up to 70 -80 % of their bodyweight temperaments are great & they are no hassle with any of the other cows

Ken,
If Diesel was sitting in front of you at the picture show in the dark, he would look like Bo or Jed, so don't be thumping anybodies ears when you go!! :lol2:
It might get embarrassing. :shock:

Latest posts