horses working cows

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
how meny here will allow horses on their place to pen their cattle or catch neighbors cattle on their place.we have a neighbors cow an calf on our place thats wilder than a devil.an neighbor just thought it was his right to come on our place with horses an dogs to catch them.we told him no horses or dogs allowed an he blew up.id already told him she ran when any1 was in the pasture or close to the gates.so we took the 4 wheelers in to see what she would do.an he got to running the cows an hemmed them up an 2 or of our cows jumped into the neighbors pasture.then we managed to catch the calf an pen it,wich allowed us to put the cow in the corral.but the calf busted a board on the loading chute.an the cow jumped over a 6ft pipe corral fence like it wasnt there.weve had horses on our place an had some cows hurt an limping because of it,an our cows run from them because they not used to them.so horses are no longer allowed on our place unless we put them in.

ALACOWMAN":13w81fgo said:
it would depend more on the cowboy riding it in my opinion,, not the horse....
:nod: A good cowboy can do way better on horseback than 10 4-wheelers. There just ain't that many of em left any more, and I certainly don't fit the bill.

yep you take a good quiet hand working cows can make alot happen with little incident,,... then someone blowing up in the middle hooping and hollering.... though theres a place for that, but they know the time to...

since that cow can explode with just us being in the pasture she will stay awhile.she has got our cows pretty upset an they are mostly calm cowsbut we can get a few cows an calves up in the corral if need be.

Yes, I ride horses through the cattle on the ranch as often as possible. I believe it's the best way to see them up close, in a safe and quite manner.

True, the first time many cattle are exposed to horses they either run for the hills, or try to charge your horse, but once they get usesd to and respect a horse, the horse can be an invaluable tool in handling cattle.

I like penning cattle with horses and a cake truck. Call the cattle to the pen with the cake, then ride behind the herd to encourage any stragglers to move along.

Cattle need to be broke(some take 10 minutes others 10 days) to using horses or dogs for things to be nice and quiet.
Done right- horses and dogs make life alot easier with cattle.
That being said---I wouldn't let a stranger come on my place with dogs or horses.

well if your cos are as gentle as you claim why didn't you just go out and get all of your cows in the corral and them let these guys get their cow
or go feed your cows in the corral a few times a week and more than likely the other one would have followed also
Sometimes people just don't think of doing things the easy way until they have already screwed it up

feed is the easiest thing in the world to get cows gathered

I used to have the best little cow dog in the world.
but over the years the cows got so gentle that I did not need her as they would come to call. I also actively culled for dispostion and a high head and high tail was a black mark.

I cannot put my mare in with the cows as I would not have a fence left. She loves to chase em just for sport. My old gelding would be no problem.

Would concur with others the horse is not the problem. sounds like the neighbor is. sounds like a full fury guy who enjoys life at that pace and its consequences. I outgrew that a few years ago. I love to ride and used to love working cattle with horses but I never liked fixing fence so i figured out how to do both and stay sane.

yes the cows are gentle enough for us to handle but they all wont come to feed an go into the corral.they never have an they never will.as long as we can put the calves in the corral without meny cows to sort out the better we like it an thats the way its done.

Yes I have used horses in the past with our cattle so it is not new to them. Dogs however they would usually attack. Queensland cattle are famous for attacking dogs.

But a neighbour came with a horse and a couple of dogs to get a cow that another neighbour had left behind when taking his cattle away and he had bought her.

He had two comments about our cattle.

"The quietest cattle he had ever seen" and "Boy are they electric fence trained."

I have neve worked cattle with a horse, but a good dog can do wonders.

If you stir cattle up then you have a problem, better to give up and go home let them calm down.

I have given up using the quad here. They were chased and abused with it here before I arrieved and then when in pasture you have the weekenders being stupid. Just quicker and easier to use time and walk them on foot.

I would really like to get to use a horse.

Using quads to handles cattle is like wiping your butt with a pine cone-it's painful to do-painful to watch and you can only do half a job. A neighbor had two bulls get in my cows and offered to bring his fourwheelers-he was told to go sit in his house and I'd let him know when I had them back in his corral. We trailed them a couple miles home-then got to work rest of the day helping him do cattle work he couldn't do on a bike. Gather her in with your cows and sort her off. We had a bit of a bloat issue this morning so moved 230 yearlings in about twenty minutes-I 'trolled' them in-tied a salt bag to my lariet and dragged it they followed me like I was the Pied Piper. Quads are great for salting and fencing but have no place in sorting cattle.

Howdyjabo":1tj7l82b said:
Done right- horses and dogs make life alot easier with cattle.
That being said---I wouldn't let a stranger come on my place with dogs or horses.

Yep and Yep...

Letting a stranger on your place..IMO...is asking for trouble..to many times the "cowboy" is a dumbass who only has two speeds..stop and balls to the wall. and if he's got a dog with him, the critter runs cows thru fences..nope..My 10 year old son can work cattle better horseback then alot of them yokels..

I'd rather do it myself and not add more gray hairs to my head. That being said..a good horse(with a good person in the saddle) and a good dog are invaluable..my dog has helped me tremendously, even when I wasnt horseback...bottomline is..they are merely the tools..the person is the one whose suppossed to possess the brain.

I use a quad on my cattle now. It is too dangerous to use horses with the drought as there are cracks in the ground that can run several feet and the be wide enough for a hoof. The scariest thing I have seen.

I can round the whole herd up with a quad even with cows with new calves who do not want to come up.

My hubby cannot. It does not seem to be something that I can teach him. The same with lunging a horse. Sure he can do it under instruction but doesn't really understand it. That is with now 7 years with working with cattle. You just have to be in the right position to have them go where you want. Move a couple of cms that way and they will go the opposite way.

So I am the one who brings the herd up. Last time we just called them and threw out some hay and they all came up. But I will go and get the quad in spring when they decide they are not hungry enough to come up.

some people just never get the knack of working stock....no matter how much they love it.

My late partner loved cows and loved working them but he was always in exactly the wrong place and I could not get him to think like a cow in over twenty years of trying.

finally got him trained to go where I told him when I told him. worked as long as he was in earshot.

pdfangus":11hkp1n4 said:
some people just never get the knack of working stock....no matter how much they love it.

My late partner loved cows and loved working them but he was always in exactly the wrong place and I could not get him to think like a cow in over twenty years of trying.
finally got him trained to go where I told him when I told him. worked as long as he was in earshot.
im trying to figure out if thats a bad thing ...or not
:cowboy:

Latest posts