Words Not Heard Much Anymore

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":jjkdck12 said:
How about the word....."Haint"? Used for "Ghost".

I guess derived from "Haunt".

Example:

"She was so ugly, she could sit on a tombstone and hatch a "Haint". :shock:

How about she is so ugly she would run a haint up a thorn tree.

When my mom used to help us get ready for a bath when we were little, she would pull off our shirts and say, "Skin a possum!" or "Skin a rabbit." I think anyone working with kids would get sued today for saying something like that.

Oh, and let us not forget "The devil's beating his wife" for when it is raining while the sun is shining.

Lammie":37kwt3bg said:
Oh, and let us not forget "The devil's beating his wife" for when it is raining while the sun is shining.

I didn't know the devil was married! I should have guessed he was, since the Lord tossed him into a life of eternal torment. :lol:

john250":1liexid9 said:
Lammie":1liexid9 said:

I didn't know the devil was married! I should have guessed he was, since the Lord tossed him into a life of eternal torment. :lol:

My mom used to say that all the time and I just thought it was something she made up until I read it on one of those language tests. My husband made fun of me for saying it. I don't know what it means. Maybe I'll wiki it.

cowgirl580":31d008ne said:
Wisteria Farms":31d008ne said:
Just one more that makes me smile...

Theres a country song out (don't know who sings it) but he says "up in the morn'n stirrin around"...

I always have to laugh because I've heard my grandma say "stirrin around" so......many times. She's born/raised in So. Missouri.

Grannys also good for calling people "gomer" and "Shyster"

Craig Morgan "A Little Bit of Life"

THATS IT!!!! I could sing it in my head and knew it was a little bit of "somethin".... haha. Still doesn't beat the turnip truck song (Good Directions) though.... just love that one. Thanks

Wisteria Farms":1prp8ky7 said:
hurleyjd":1prp8ky7 said:
Wewild":1prp8ky7 said:
"Red neck" today doesn't resemble the first intent when it was first used to be derogatory.

What is the history of Redneck. Where and when did it start.

I always thought it referred to the red neck of a farmer... as in a farmer's tan.

Here is the version that I heard. The rural white laborers would come to town on Saturday and get a haircut, and the white skin where the hair was would sunburn and turn red. This was on the neck. The blacks was supposed to have started calling the whites red necks. This may be so and maybe not I just heard it.

hurleyjd":10vwx7wp said:
Wisteria Farms":10vwx7wp said:
hurleyjd":10vwx7wp said:
Wewild":10vwx7wp said:
"Red neck" today doesn't resemble the first intent when it was first used to be derogatory.

I always thought it referred to the red neck of a farmer... as in a farmer's tan.

Here is the version that I heard. The rural white laborers would come to town on Saturday and get a haircut, and the white skin where the hair was would sunburn and turn red. This was on the neck. The blacks was supposed to have started calling the whites red necks. This may be so and maybe not I just heard it.

That is how it was explained to me. By an oldtimer when I was over the other year.

Don't do that again or I'll pull down ya keks, and tan ya hide.

my Dear old Grandaddy used to say that if we had been naughty....Keks here is slang for trousers.

chrisy":1t2xlbwm said:
hurleyjd":1t2xlbwm said:
Wisteria Farms":1t2xlbwm said:
hurleyjd":1t2xlbwm said:
Wewild":1t2xlbwm said:

That is how it was explained to me. By an oldtimer when I was over the other year.

I always heard the same about the redness but it was the townfolk who used it to describe country folks. I'm sure there are lots of other explanations out there for it though.

Tegerian I always heard the same about the redness but it was the townfolk who used it to describe country folks. [/quote said:
That's the way I heard it as well.

• Flour Sack
    Wash House
    Blackleaf 40
    Musterole
    Mustard Plaster
    "Sakes Alive"
    Stud (human)
    Wood Stove
    Flat Iron
    Griddle Cakes
    Hardwood Floor
    Washboard
    Copper Kettle
    Wash Pot
    Sink
    "I'll Be All Over You Like White on Rice" (Drill Sargeant Quote)
    Whitewall Tires
    Carburetor
    "Change my Points & Plugs...Also Rotor, if Needed"
    Kerosene
    Coal Oil
    Fender Skirts
    Smitties (Loud Mufflers)
    "Double-Clutching"
    "Second Gear Rubber"
    Sunday Morning Meeting
    Mud Room
    Box Camera
    Press Camera
    Flash Bulbs
    Tennis Shoes (1940's)
    Clothes Line
    Punch Cards (early IBM data processing)
    Coffee Pot
    Gee Whiz!
    Dad Gum!
    "Just Wait Till Your Father Gets Home!"
    Picture Shows
    Bloomers
    "Got A Fag?" (As in "Do you have a cigarette?")
    Cancer Sticks, Coffin Nails
    "Smoke 'em if you got 'em!"
    Cigarette Machine
    Cigarette Urns (in public buildings, offices, hospitals, etc.)
    Stick Shift

Etc., Etc....

Latest posts