Words Not Heard Much Anymore

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
1- "Satchel" - a bag that has handles or strap for toting items.

Got any more?

Anybody ever heard the word "Swanee" used?

Like.........."Well I'll Swanee", instead of, "Well I'll Swear".

MikeC":c5qjotri said:

Not Swanee, but "swain" used to be common.

:lol: I've heard that swannee, Mike. Also, I swan or swain as dun said. Been a long time though. About as long as it's been since hearing "Well, I'll be swigger". . Not sure what that means means.

Growing up folks used to call a soda "a Dope", haven't heard it used in a long time now. Never heard "I'll be swiggered" but I growing up I used to hear "I'll be jiggered" quite a bit.

Outhouse, jalopy, root cellar, smokehouse, woodshed, pocket book, hog pen, ponhause(sp.?), cracklings, rail fence, galoushes(sp?), davenport, bookstrap, tintype picture, typewriter, brooch,eggbeater, griddle, springtooth harrow, hay mow, murphy bed.

I'll ask my Mom tomorrow what swiggered means. Or maybe it was jiggered. I could be remembering wrong. Anyway, she wouldn't let me say it. She wouldn't let me say "I swannee" either.

heck there-- we use half of the ones that mermill2 uses, around here well ok looking at that again I guess we only use 5 or 6 but his grandma still uses most of them words (if not owns them also!!)

;-)

Friday I asked my daughter what time the "doings" for the swim team was done. She said, "huh?".
I said "The get together ~ what time is it over?"
She said, "Oh, the party ~ its a party now, mom :roll: ."

My 87 year old uncle always raises the eyes of the younger set when he says- he has to put his "rubbers" on--meaning his overshoes.... ;-) :lol: :lol:

Oldtimer":26m4t7bp said:
My 87 year old uncle always raises the eyes of the younger set when he says- he has to put his "rubbers" on--meaning his overshoes.... ;-) :lol: :lol:

Rubbers and overshoes to me are different. Overshoes are galoshes rubbers are only as high as a oxford shoe.
Now I just say "muckers". I wear them to town the same as I do on the farm when it's muddy/nasty

MikeC":1c1w74ne said:

I'd forgotten that one...I think the worst word I ever heard was my Mom say "Damnation" when we were kids. Dad never cussed. I dont know where I got all them fancy words from.

Latest posts