Woods rotary mower

Help Support CattleToday:

tnwalkingred

Reaction score
Anyone use a Woods rotary mower? I'm looking at a 2126 that is 10' wide pull type. It looks to be well taken care of but I've never rang anything other than Bush Hog brand or John Deere. Thoughts?

Kyle

Tnwalking I have ran 5' cutters made by woods one came with my tractor package I bought for my business in 2001 It was fine ran well no issues. I have never ran a batwing mower made by them but I do like all of their implements.

I just bought a Bush Hog 10' pull type, but for the same money I would have bought a Woods or
a John Deere. If the deck is good and the gear boxes don't leak and the u joints have been greased,
It gets down to the price. Good luck!

highgrit":2mjylvqw said:
I had a 7 foot model, way to light duty for me. Keep it out of the brush and it should be fine.

Wow what were you trying to cut gum trees the size of a 2 liter bottle or something ? the woods I had went through hell and back on everything. The only reason I sold it was financial crunch in 2009 or I would have it still today.

I have a 6' JD 606 mower. Been a good one. I bought it at my uncle's estate sale. I'd like something a bit wider like a 8' or 10'.

Next week a guy is coming from Boston to stay at his ranch here for the summer. I always mow his yard each year when he comes with my mower. He is seriously considering buying his own tractor. So I might see if he wants to deal on a good used JD mower. ;-)

Local place sells Rhino mowers, blades, and post hole diggers. They have everything from 4' to 15' mowers in stock. Look like a well built machine. I might wait until fall and see if I can get a good end-of-season deal. :nod:

Sky, the gear box cracked the deck, and the stump jumper got bent on lighter stumps. If the tractor will run it over I mow it. A Brown can take more than the tractor.

highgrit":1xu2ynvd said:
Sky, the gear box cracked the deck, and the stump jumper got bent on lighter stumps. If the tractor will run it over I mow it. A Brown can take more than the tractor.

I gotcha I had mine behind a 30hp tractor so I just briars grass and small pine trees and saplings.

I used mine exclusively in customer back yards briars and made bike trails cut grass the one I had served me fine I didn't use around farm we always had king latter and john Deere bushhogs for farm stuff.

Don't get hung up on the brand.

I have a Woods batwing. With every brand it depends on the model you get. I cut stuff that is taller than the tractor. I actually use the bucket to start breaking it over then take the shredder over it. Its rated for some crazy diameter. Way bigger than I have the balls to run over.

We also have a batwing and 10' Bushhog. They are all good machines.

The Woods mower I got was for sale on the side of the road. Older gentleman had a stoke and was getting out of the cattle business. Paid like $8K for it. Looked brand new. Stump jumper still had paint on it. ;-) ;-)

Last time I checked Woods, like most other rotary cutter brands, offers a lighter duty "economy" model and a much heavier one (at least in the smaller 3 point sizes). I had a 5' hd Woods on a 40hp Massey compact tractor for a couple of years and I loved it. It'd cut anything I was willing to run over.

Just bought a rhino 10' but looked extensively at all. Be sure you are comparing apples to apples. They all have different duty sizes as said above. The woods did have some advantages over others but not where I wanted.

I went ahead and bought a 3810 Bushhog brand pull type mower. It cost a lot more but it is a beast! Very heavy and very well made!

Kyle

Dawgfarmer":1ga0mjjy said:
Just bought a rhino 10' but looked extensively at all. Be sure you are comparing apples to apples. They all have different duty sizes as said above. The woods did have some advantages over others but not where I wanted.

Dawgfarmer, welcome to CT! :tiphat:

Please give us an update on your Rhino mower when you get some use on it. If you are so inclined, a ballpark price for comparison purposes would be nice. :secret:

As I posted previously, an 8' or 10' model is on my wish list if I can find a home for my 6' JD. :p

I don't want a pull type mower. The mowers in stock at the local place are all 3pt except the 12' and 15' models are pull type.

They also have a hydraulic drive quick tach mower for a skid steer loader in stock.

Finally got a chance to run the Rhino a bit. Worked well although I was mainly clipping fescue tops and Johnson grass. Had it raised over my good grass. Did lose a universal joint after about 2 days running. Evidently a snap ring was not installed correctly over the cap and it slung apart. Thinking it will be a warranty issue but I already fixed it.

Latest posts