Woods 15 Foot Batwing Mower

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Ranch Man

Reaction score
Broke down and purchased a Brand New Woods 15 Foot Batwing Mower. Your gonna get a tickle out of this one...My current Tractor does not have enough HP to make it happen. I have been looking for a larger Tractor but during my search I discovered a DEAL on this mower. $8500.00 Delivered. If anyone is interested there is one more available at this price. PM me and I will give you the contact information. Just in case you are wondering, NO I DONT SELL AG EQUIPMENT. I just thought I would pass on what I consider to be a great deal.

On the Larger Tractor thing, seriously considering the Kubota M9540 w/ Cab. Have not completely decided but I am leaning in that direction. The other consideration is the John Deere 5603 w/ Cab. Any thoughts on either would be welcome, its a lot of money and I only intend to make this type of purchase once during my lifetime. Thanks, TRM.

I have a BushHog 15' batwing and a JD 6620 72hp tractor. They work fine together unless you try to mow 1" tall, then it will not pull very well. At higher heights, it works fine. I try to cut my pastures at 4-6" depending on the time of the year.

Remember the rules: "take half and leave half" and "tall grass means tall roots"

My current Tractor is a John Deere 990 37hp Diesel 4X4, Not quite enough for the Larger mower. Next year im gonna start cuttin my own Hay. Its a bunch of money but what the heck, you cant take it with you. I think im sold on the Kubota M9540 as far as a new tractor goes.

Texas Ranch Man":3706p8sm said:
New Woods 15 Foot Batwing Mower.
On the Larger Tractor thing, seriously considering the Kubota M9540 w/ Cab. The other consideration is the John Deere 5603 w/ Cab. Thanks, TRM.

I looked, and the Deere 5603 claims 99 HP. The Kubota M9540 claims 92/93 HP.
I mowed thousands of acres with an MF 275. Sixty some HP but without a cab and FWD. If the PRIMARY use of this tractor is to pull the mower, you can drow FWD and about 20 HP. And still have a cab. Save large $.
How many acres of hay will you be making? You might want the extra power and weight if you'll be pulling larger disc mowers. Disc mowers like a heavy tractor.

On rare occasions (cleaning off a field to plant or burn and time is of essence) I pull a 15 foot Bushhog. The tractor I usually use is JD 100 engine/85 pto HP tractor.

When the stuff is thick and I want cut close I have to go to a bigger tractor or slow down to a creep.

Bushogging where there are lots of fireants is probably the hardest thing a tractor can do.

I'd go at least 100 hp.

I have experience with Mahindra tractors. Got a buddy who is a dealer. Their drive train and electrical is made by Kubota. I would not buy a Kubota or Mahindra. I have been inside those tractors... seen their diagrams to fix stuff... and electronics... all leave ALOT to be desired. :shock:

They are fine for what I call "hobby farmers"... but if you want to get down and work up some land it will not be long and you will have problems.

The tractor market in general leaves alot to be desired. They just don't make them like they use to.... EVEN JD.

One of the most dependable tractors you can get,,, in my opinion,,, is the mid 90s John Deeres. Lots of people are going back to those tractors and rebuilding if necessary rather than buying new.

Just mu opinion and experiences... not sure if that helped any or not.

I do have a 15 yr old 40 hp kubota and it is awsome. I have literally tried to destroy it, but can't. I thought about a 95 HP but went to a Deere 6415 because of weight. I did not feel comforatable with Vermeer 605 pushing a 5000 lb Kubota down a slope. More comforatable with it pushing 7000 lbs. On flat ground I would have went with Kubota.

Did the big Mahindra. DO NOT GO THERE. PM me for horror .

JMichal":3syiypu9 said:
I do have a 15 yr old 40 hp kubota and it is awsome. I have literally tried to destroy it, but can't. I thought about a 95 HP but went to a Deere 6415 because of weight. I did not feel comforatable with Vermeer 605 pushing a 5000 lb Kubota down a slope. More comforatable with it pushing 7000 lbs. On flat ground I would have went with Kubota.

Did the big Mahindra. DO NOT GO THERE. PM me for horror .

Was it a 7000 series with a cab.... JUNK!

Texas Ranch Man":3izyuc06 said:
I will be making Hay on 45 acres.

If you like Kubota, you might want to look at the M95 or M105, they are heavier than the 9540 and look to be built much stronger.

I found a coupla new M95s and had quotes done on them. They cost a little more than the M9540. There were two features found on the M9540 that are not available on the M95. An automatic self leveling bucket, and Hydraulic Transmission. Does anyone have experience with the M95, I have also heard that it is a Heavier Tractor, One feature I liked better about is was it did not have alot of Digital read outs, everything was a gauge. I did consider the fact that the M9540 had more fancy stuff to go wrong.

Latest posts