winter watering help.

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.

Reaction score
I have a new place that does not have a winter watering system. It has a spring that they say watered cattle year around in the past It also has a well with one of thoses pipes coming out of the ground that drains back into its self when turned off. The mud around the spring is thick and I worry that the calves will get stuck in it if I use it as a water source. Any good ideas on how to set up a water source for winter? If the cattle use the spring will they pack down a trail through the mud? I saw a cow use it once but she had to pull one leg out at a time and then rest before moving another leg.

Canada is a lot different than Texas as to climate. However, there are some realistic methods to get and keep water, even where you are.

First of all is you have a well with a pump in it, you could put in a large storage tank (say 1000 to 3000 gallons), set on a concrete or treated wood platform. Then build an insulated building around the tank. Put in an electric heater in the building to keep inside temperature above 32 deg. F. Then, a line from the bottom of the tank to a freeze proof faucet or other outlet that is lower than the tank (for gravity drainage) to fill an outside stock tank.

Thus, tank in an insulated building with portable heater, fill tank from well pump, empty tank into stock tank via gravity drainage to a lower point.

Not the cheapest thing to do; however, it will work while providing a storage of water.

S.R.R.":g0oh0zf7 said:
I have a new place that does not have a winter watering system. It has a spring that they say watered cattle year around in the past It also has a well with one of thoses pipes coming out of the ground that drains back into its self when turned off. The mud around the spring is thick and I worry that the calves will get stuck in it if I use it as a water source. Any good ideas on how to set up a water source for winter? If the cattle use the spring will they pack down a trail through the mud? I saw a cow use it once but she had to pull one leg out at a time and then rest before moving another leg.

Yup - visit your neighbours and ask them what they do - or pump the water direct to a heated bowl - have to bury the line first.

Or, let them lick snow.

For cows - we fill the trough once a day - if they miss they go thirsty. They soon learn to be there when you start the water.

For calves we put out a heated bowl - forget the frost free - they aren't!

For the bulls we used to fill a trough and keep a heater in it - works fine.

Best bet - see what neighbours do and copy it - they are the locals and therefore the proven "best idea" for the local area.

Bez'

Running Arrow Bill":1poyvxem said:
Canada is a lot different than Texas as to climate. However, there are some realistic methods to get and keep water, even where you are.

First of all is you have a well with a pump in it, you could put in a large storage tank (say 1000 to 3000 gallons), set on a concrete or treated wood platform. Then build an insulated building around the tank. Put in an electric heater in the building to keep inside temperature above 32 deg. F. Then, a line from the bottom of the tank to a freeze proof faucet or other outlet that is lower than the tank (for gravity drainage) to fill an outside stock tank.

Thus, tank in an insulated building with portable heater, fill tank from well pump, empty tank into stock tank via gravity drainage to a lower point.

Not the cheapest thing to do; however, it will work while providing a storage of water.

Your last sentence was the understatement of the year! But, it would work.

Building and energy costs are high. Minus 50 is not unusual - and for extended periods of time.

Simple is best - see my previous response.

Bez'

I have seen where people drive a sandpoint vertically into springs and let the water flow freely into a tank.The tank had an over flow that fed 2 other tanks then drained into a near by creek.It run year round.

Can't say about the snow....we haven't put out the tank heaters yet but it won't be long.....had my son bury a new line this summer and ran electric with it so we'll have water in the upper pens this year.
Good luck...I'd get real busy with this project, I bet y'all have hard freezing nights now, we're frosting over regularly.
DMc

I was told eating snow is not good for cattle. If I remember correctly, snow is too low a temp and if they consume it consistently it lowers their body temp. Also, snow when melted becomes the same as distilled water, that part of it I am not sure of if that effects the cattle or not.....

Thanks for the input. If I can,t get something set up soon I just have to keep them up with the others. We have been having 2-5c at night and 7-12c days with rain, rain, rain.

When I was in MT and fed cows we had a stock tank that was 3/4 covered with straw, there was a solid fence around it so that cows couldn't get to it. In the front a board ran down into the water a couple inches. We only had to remove the ice in that area even at 20 below.

What I'm planning on doing is get a combine tire run the inlet pipe up through the bottom of the tire and then put a drain pipe the height you want the water level. Run the drain pipe away from the tire. Fill the bottom with concrete andlet the water run.

Bobg

When we need a water source away from the barn, we run a water line and power under the freeze line to where it is needed. Install a backflow spiggot like you have and put a heater in a water tank. Helps to secure the water pipe coming up to a 4x4 cause the cows like to rub on everything, plus it gives a place to mount the electrical outlet. You'll still have to go out and fill the tank, but there are other options available there too, depending on your pocket book. Had one of those tanks that the water comes up from underneath with no power and is not suppose to freeze, but have'nt tried it yet.

May I also recommend putting heat tape around the lower part of your hydrant (under ground). Just because they are designed to drain back, doesn't always mean that they will. This way if by some chance it does freeze up you can just crack the valve open alittle bit and plug in the tape for about an hour or so.

Our cows water out of automatic waterers. Our heifers that we keep and the bulls sometimes water out of springs though.

The muckier areas should freeze they always do around here and the only thing that stays open is where the spring comes out of the ground. The cows will pack down a trail as it is freezing and have a path that is usually fairly smooth. Although closer to the actual source of water it can still be bumpy and when those bumps freeze there can be some sprained legs if they are the fighting type so you might want to take that into consideration.

Some of our springs don't stay open all year but they are the ones that look more like water holes - fairly smooth until you hit the water. Those ones I have to open so I usually just fill up buckets for the cattle, now that I have a house down here, it's easier. The springs that the cows have a hard time walking to all summer usually stay open all winter. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't freeze. If you decide to use it for the winter go out now and make sure you know where the water actually comes out of the ground just in case you have to open it.

We have never had calves in the fields with our boggy springs until they were older. How far do the cows sink? Any more than knee deep?

I'm not sure how far away your spring is from the furthest point of mud but you could try getting out a bobcat and just digging it out. If you dig out to the edge of the mud as low as where the spring comes up you will turn it into a waterhole. If you have to go to far from the source of the spring though you can have a problem with the water freezing and then the cows are walking on a skating rink to get a drink. That can be helped by putting straw into the water as it freezes though making it less slippery. You may have to dig it out every few years though.

Another method is to put in a culvert(s) and build an actual road to the main source of the spring. That can be a bit more tricky and it depends on the ground around the spring and how often the source moves.

It's hard to tell you what to do not seeing the spring. Sorry I am not being more help.

DON'T let your cattle just eat snow. Some of our neighbours do that and it drives me nuts! :mad: A cow has to eat a lot of snow before she will get her daily water requirements. Their rumens do not function well if they do not get sufficient water. You will end up not only with a colder cow as mentioned above but you will also end up with cows who are not healthy. Body condition will not be as good, the calves won't do as well, more problems with milking, and more calving problems in general. Besides the fact your cows will be thirsty. We are raising these animals to eat but we have a responsibility to be humane in the process.

Be thankful you just got rain. We got our first dump of snow. :roll: I am NOT ready for winter, the cows are all depressed. The only one who is happy is the dog - she's a Newfoundland and is so excited that she has both snow and the river to play in. Pitiful. :p

If your spring has year round flow you might consider developing it. If it's flowing it ain't freezing and ground water has a temp of what, 50 something degrees. PM me if like to see pics of how to plumb one.

Latest posts