Winter sale question

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasShooter

Reaction score
Hello,

I have some steers/heifers that I would like to sell at the market come this Dec. Has the market, during the last few years, had a tendency to drop in the winter months? I haven't purchased/sold any livestock during these months since 2001.

If the market had dropped, how long did it last?

I do realize that market conditions change due to economic events, news, as well as geographical location, but I would like the normal trend.

Thanks,

You're right, it will always depend on the region and what type of season you are having locally. Then you have to figure in the national outlook and demand.

Typically cattle will fall off in the fall, say October and pick up again in very late winter/early spring. The last couple of years have seen the market stay remarkably steady even through the winter. However, prices have already dropped and they will probably drop more as fall nears. Still think the prices are great..no matter what. Try to sell off the farm to get a better price, or market them in a select sale if they meet the criteria.

Thanks 1848,

That was kind of my assessment the last few years, but I hadn't actually been to a sale…I like to buy off one's farm myself.

I will definitely try and sale off the farm, like you said. I think I will have pretty good luck. If market prices are down and there's a problem with me selling off the farm, do you see me losing $$ by keeping them a few extra months...selling them in the late winter to early spring as yearlings?

My experience tells me that Sept. to first of Dec. is the worste time. i think most ranchers calf in the spring and wean in the fall. Sell late Dec. and you should be OK.

Scotty

Scotty":2ktlyk16 said:
Sell late Dec. and you should be OK.
Where's he gonna sell steers/heifers in late December, Scotty? He'll have to sell them in the country since there aren't any sales going on. Won't be any way to tell what they're really worth then.

Well late could be a realative term. There will be a sale Dec. 30 in DUBLIN Texas. He can sell them there. 1 PM start. Thats were lady. ;-)

Scotty

It's usually not a good idea to try to sell smaller lots of calves or yearlings when there aren't enough around to finish a load. Normally, nobody wants to even start a load because they get too stale waiting on numbers to pick up to finish it. Watch the weather in wheat country if you're talking about calves, and be flexible is the best advice I can give you.

Shooter, an awful lot of calves sold in the fall are sold to guys that graze them on winter wheat in north Texas and of course in other states. Also a lot of calves go to wheat or oat patches in the hill country, and even down in my area I see a fair number of calves that were obviously bought to graze on planted fall/winter forages.

TexasShooter":376m0il8 said:
..do you see me losing $$ by keeping them a few extra months...selling them in the late winter to early spring as yearlings?

If you have the grass to put weight on them thru the winter w/o allot of overhead (feed), then keeping them should not be a problem. Though it does matters if you are in a pinch for money! ;-). Remember, as cattle get larger they will bring less per lb. Selling them early spring would be best. Of course you could always sell them in groups as the market fluctuates and the pocket book thins. Sell some early and sell some late.

First, find out the days the local sale barns operate in the area. This may be a couple different county barns (usually they will all operate on a different day). Next, go to some auctions for a couple of weeks. Watch the prices and watch to see which sale barn averages higher and/or pays better for your type calves (color, breed, type) Then go to the two auctions preceeding the one you select as giving the best price. When you see the prices jump in those others... consecutively, you will have time to respond and get yours in at the sale barn of your choice during the upswing ;-)

Sale barns will also provide you the information on the type and price per lb over the last couple of weeks. Your extension agent will usually know too. All you have to do is ask, or buy a livestock weekly and keep up with it at home.. :)

TexasShooter":3a8x6c49 said:
Hello,

I have some steers/heifers that I would like to sell at the market come this Dec. Has the market, during the last few years, had a tendency to drop in the winter months?

The average market for calves and cull cows bottoms in November when there are a lot of them for sale. I have no idea if this is going to be an average year. If you want to use Superior, you could sell them now and then deliver them in December. If you have the feed and the time you can make a couple bucks by continuing to grow the current animals. Or if you have the antibiotics and the time you could also make some money selling them and buying back light ones. Lots of options...

Latest posts