Winter Rye - no rain in sight

Help Support CattleToday:

Emgen

Reaction score
What is the downside to planting winter rye with no rain in the forecast for the next 10 days? Any seed damage or germination issues that I might face if rain is 1-2 weeks away? With no rain and current hay shortages, I'm banking on a rye crop to keep cattle fed thru winter. Thanks

skyeagle":1sxwc2ew said:
I just spread 200# over 5a we need rain bad

Skyeagle

Made in the USA

Not just rain, enough rain!
I seeded 25 acres of WSG at $45 an acre and we got just enough to make it germinate. Then it turned dry again and died.

dun

i most likely will not be planting this year... too dry.

jt

Drilled 1000# Cereal Rye on about 14 acres on 10/14/05. Have had no rain on my parade,yet :oops: That's good news since no germination has taken place but if it doesn't rain and rain and rain soon, there won't be enough growing season left to get a useable stand :roll: I knew I shouldn"t have given up my day job :mad:

JAY

Seeded the new lease last week, had a drizzle for two days but only settled the dust for a couple of days....expecting rain next week. Now if we get germination some warm weather will be nice and then a good snow blanket.
Don't want to do this all over when the ground thaws.
DMc

I drilled before the rain from the hurricane hit and the wheat and rye shot right up but its dry as a bone now. Thank god for heavy dews but I dont think it'll last much longer without rain. As luck would have it I drilled more this year than any other, lol.

Emgen,
The only way it will hurt the rye is if it has enough moisture to sprout it but not enough to get it up. We sowed ours 10 days ago and the field is already bright green.(but we have good water and circle pivots to irrigate it.) Hope you get yours up, because if you don't it might be a long winter feeding hay.

Travis

Rain...finally. Now if the warm weather holds on for a few more weeks before we get the freezing nights we just mighn't have enough pasture for the pairs this spring. DMc

Latest posts