Winter protein

Help Support CattleToday:

Hogtiming

Reaction score
To supplement our cows in the winter to low quality hay. I use 2:1 ratio of soybean meal and salt. I could use dds and salt but I chose soybean meal. Opinions on doing this or anyone have any other ideas I could do for extra supplement

kenny thomas":14bmexio said:
Corn is cheap this year and has lots of energy. Do you really know the quality of your hay. Have it tested to see what is needed.
I agree, you need more energy in the winter then protein unless the animals are very very small for their age, i.e. undersized heifers or feedlot steers.

dun":1joftih1 said:
kenny thomas":1joftih1 said:
Corn is cheap this year and has lots of energy. Do you really know the quality of your hay. Have it tested to see what is needed.
I agree, you need more energy in the winter then protein unless the animals are very very small for their age, i.e. undersized heifers or feedlot steers.

I plan on mixing some DDG and brewers grain together when we get the real cold they do well on brewers grain but I think the DDG would make it a lot better.

I have read, as it applies to horses, that the fermentation of roughage in the stomach creates much more heat than grain digesting. Is this true of cattle? Seems as though it would be the same.

City Guy":2cmluwhi said:
I have read, as it applies to horses, that the fermentation of roughage in the rumen creates much more heat than grain digesting. Is this true of cattle? Seems as though it would be the same.
Roughage does make heat. But if your sources are telling you that fermentation in the rumen of a horse helps build heat you might look for someone that knows more about the digestive tract of a horse.

Yes, Dun, I realized after I posted that a horse is not a ruminant and only has one very primitive stomach, sorry!

PS. I can't figure out how to make corrections after I post. Help, anyone?

City Guy":pw0n4u5j said:
Yes, Dun, I realized after I posted that a horse is not a ruminant and only has one very primitive stomach, sorry!

there should be something on the upper right corner of your post you can click on there should be a edit link

ez14":22r60wib said:
City Guy":22r60wib said:

there should be something on the upper right corner of your post you can click on there should be a edit link
It's the left most symbol, looks like a pencil

Hogtiming":2jtcbt23 said:
To supplement our cows in the winter to low quality hay. I use 2:1 ratio of soybean meal and salt. I could use dds and salt but I chose soybean meal. Opinions on doing this or anyone have any other ideas I could do for extra supplement
That mix is over 30% crude protein. Really think you need that much and why SBM?? Very expensive.

City Guy":3ld7vdic said:
I have read, as it applies to horses, that the fermentation of roughage in the stomach creates much more heat than grain digesting. Is this true of cattle? Seems as though it would be the same.
Everything being digested creates heat but animals need energy. A lot of this junk people put into animals will create heat but not enough energy for them to walk to the feeder to eat it.

Is it possible to mix ddg corn and use salt to limit their intake to a small amount.

Hogtiming":1rkdxepr said:
Do you know the percentage salt?

Hog some make a mix with 25% salt, others will go as high as 1/3. A few oldtimers still buy cottonseed meal and mix it half and half with salt. All work ok, but higher the salt the lower the consumption. I don't feed a lot of it but have fed some. The one I prefer is 50% corn, 25% cottonseed meal and 25% salt. Comes out to about 14% crude protein and good energy with the corn in it.

Latest posts