Winning more important than????

Help Support CattleToday:

2barmcattle

Reaction score
Had a longhorn show bull toss me in the air last night. Not fun. Should have put winning out of my mind when I noticed the aggression as a yearling and sent him down the road. :( This would be his last year to show (Senior Bull) and has won at all of the shows. Has won a bunch through his whole career. He shows great w/halter and nose ring...my 10yr old son shows him.

Our company even places "Safety Before Profits" and lives by that statement. Why did I not practice that at home??? Well, he is done for now. Should make some great and healthy meat for the freezer. Wife forcing me to go see the Doc today to make sure all of these aches and pains and bruises are nothing. :oops: Could have been worse and....glad it was me and not one of the kids. I have already thanked God that it was not worse.

Just sharing a valuable lesson learned.

your doing the right thing by culling the bull.hope your not hurt from him throwing you in the air.i always watch all bulls.from bull calves to herd bulls.

ya know.... getting wallerd into the ground by an angry cow isn't any fun either. I have been picking out the "mean" ones and getting rid of them, it has helped out my herd heaps. :nod:

2barmcattle":v37wzqph said:
Should have put winning out of my mind when I noticed the aggression as a yearling and sent him down the road.

Hindsight is 20/20, and I'm willing to bet you are not the first to make this mistake. I'm sorry this happened to you, but I am very happy it wasn't one of your kids, and I hope everything checks out at the dr's. Good luck, and take care.

We've all done that kind of stuff, so don't feel too bad .So many times I've given sound advice only to fail to take it myself . At least you've faced your mistake and called it for what it is . I respect that .

Larry

oh i know how you feel. i was nine years old in the show ring with a very hungry charlais bull. he got his head under my butt and threw me about 5-10 in front of him. that was my first time in the show ring btw

I guess there is always risk showing bulls. Especially with 5' horns. They can be too tame. I wonder if I am mistaking aggression for play. Either way freezer beef is the answer. Is it aggression or play???

The Doc(used to fight bulls by the way). Says rib damage - no breaks - that can only be treated w/pain killers and I have to check back in 3 days for him to check one of my vertebrae that was painfull when he PUSHED ON IT. I really don't hurt much this a.m. and I have not even picked up the painkillers at the pharmacy.

I don't know. I come from more of a commercial background and I see putting a halter on a bull, leading him around like a dog, and giving him hair cuts as kind of an unnatural thing to ask from El toro. Bulls that come after me out on a forty acre field have got to go. Bulls that take a shot in a crowding pen or in tight places is just a bull being a bull. Some of the most laid back, placid bulls you have ever seen will go ga ga in a sorting pen. His show career probably should be over since you obviously can't trust him anymore; BUT after putting all that time and money into a bull I would want some of that back. There probably is a commercial herd some place who could use him. Be honest with the buyer about him being too aggressive to show; but just because he took a shot at you doesn't mean he can't service 20 cows on somebody's front 40.

Aggression or play???? Doesn't matter! I guess that's one of the reasons I get upset with folks here that absolutely insist on trying to make lap dogs out of 2000 lb. animals. No one listens and there even folks (veterans/guru's) here who incourage the newbies to treat them like pets. I know I shouldn't take on or feel responsible for people who want to do that sort of thing but when you offer help and folks ignore the warnings then they deserve what they get.

I have one of the most gentle bulls on earth and he hurt me a couple of years ago and it could have been bad. Not because he was trying to but because he trapped me against the back of the pickup while he was trying to get a few cubes. It was my fault. I knew better than turn my back on him (or any of the cattle for that matter).

You were lucky. You were really lucky that one of your children didn't get hurt, or worse. Thank God for that. Hope your bruises heal quickly and your pride even quicker.

Earl Thigpen":1g195kfi said:
Aggression or play???? Doesn't matter! I guess that's one of the reasons I get upset with folks here that absolutely insist on trying to make lap dogs out of 2000 lb. animals. No one listens and there even folks (veterans/guru's) here who incourage the newbies to treat them like pets. I know I shouldn't take on or feel responsible for people who want to do that sort of thing but when you offer help and folks ignore the warnings then they deserve what they get.

I have one of the most gentle bulls on earth and he hurt me a couple of years ago and it could have been bad. Not because he was trying to but because he trapped me against the back of the pickup while he was trying to get a few cubes. It was my fault. I knew better than turn my back on him (or any of the cattle for that matter).

You were lucky. You were really lucky that one of your children didn't get hurt, or worse. Thank God for that. Hope your bruises heal quickly and your pride even quicker.

Guilty as charged - somewhat. Not trying to make a lap dog out of a 1500# bull, not necessarily a newbie and ...........I definately let my guard down. Good points!!!! This experience was definately a wake up call of how to keep in mind that these show cattle are still cattle. :cboy:

Everyone I have ever heard of attacked or killed by a bull, was by a "gentle" bull. You always stay a way from the aggressive ones! Show bulls are the very worst. I prefer a little respect and healthy fear on both sides of the relationship.

2barmcattle":3qb3o8zk said:
Earl Thigpen":3qb3o8zk said:

Guilty as charged - somewhat. Not trying to make a lap dog out of a 1500# bull, not necessarily a newbie and ...........I definately let my guard down.

You don't have to make a lapdog out of a bull to get hurt, it happens every day of the week. Factor in halter breaking him, and the fact that you have now erased his natural fear he has of humans - and you have a train wreck waiting to happen should you fail to understand/respect the situation that has been created.

Latest posts