More progress

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I got the last of the RR ties into the ground. I am glad that job is over. Having to dig the holes with a mini excavator makes for small graves for post holes. You can't just drop the post in the hole, straighten it up, and go to back filling and tamping. Holding the post in place with the tractor while trying to get enough dirt and rocks (more rock than dirt)around it to hold it straight and upright was a chore. Beings as the river is maybe 100 feet away I am certain that this was an old river bed at one time. Rocks the size of bowling balls and bigger were a real joy to deal with. Now I just need to hang 5 gates and 96 poles. I only have 62 poles on hand so that means 2 trips to cut poles. I will sure be happy when this job is done. Of course I see the next job waiting in line.

wbvs58 said:
How do you attach the poles Dave?

Ken
With 3/8 inch lag bolts. They vary in length as there is some difference in the size of the poles. I want 5 inches of the bolt in the post.

Dave what is the carrying capacity of your ranch and (I guess) your BLM acreage? The pens and alleys you are building look like they are for a large group. They look nice by the way.
Just being nosy.
Thanks

bird dog said:
Dave what is the carrying capacity of your ranch and (I guess) your BLM acreage? The pens and alleys you are building look like they are for a large group. They look nice by the way.
Just being nosy.
Thanks
If I were to purchase hay I could probably run 120 cows. With making hay in the meadow it is 80ish head. That makes me the smallest ranch in the valley. There is actually 3 large pens that were here when I bought the place. The smallest is about 60 by 100. The biggest is about 120 by 80. I haven't done anything in those two yet. Well, I rebuilt the loafing shed in the small one last summer. The biggest one needs the loafing shed rebuilt and to fence along one side. The middle size one is the one I am working in. I changed up the chute configuration, added a loading alley, and a couple sorting pens. I have the only bridge on the river. So occasionally other people's cattle move through my place. This means that I might have a corral full of cattle belonging to other people. It has happened in the past and they all have more cows than I do.

Stocker Steve said:
Very nice Dave, but you make my corrals look bad...

Will you be able to hold mule deer this fall? ;-)
I am reasonable sure that I will be able to hold a mule deer this fall. The corral might not hold one but I have a special method to get them to stay still.

Dave said:
I have the only bridge on the river. So occasionally other people's cattle move through my place. This means that I might have a corral full of cattle belonging to other people. It has happened in the past and they all have more cows than I do.

Interested in buying a "ranch" in Georgia beside me? That way I wouldn't need my own corrals!

JMJ Farms said:
Dave said:
I have the only bridge on the river. So occasionally other people's cattle move through my place. This means that I might have a corral full of cattle belonging to other people. It has happened in the past and they all have more cows than I do.

Interested in buying a "ranch" in Georgia beside me? That way I wouldn't need my own corrals!
Believe me it doesn't work that way. People here go out of their way to help each other.

Dave said:
JMJ Farms said:
Dave said:

Believe me it doesn't work that way. People here go out of their way to help each other.
Works that way here for the most part. Especially in regards to Ag producers of any form. But the first thing that happens here when cows get out is someone calls the sheriffs Dept. Used to be, that folks would just put em back in. Those days are just about over here.

Everyone around here used to be able to drive a tractor. Most could operate one. But everyone could drive one. Not so much now. Guess time doesn't stand still. Things must change for better or worse. I admire your scenery and the way of life that still exists there. And those corrals could be a backdrop for a western movie. Very nice.

JMJ Farms said:
Dave said:
JMJ Farms said:
Works that way here for the most part. Especially in regards to Ag producers of any form. But the first thing that happens here when cows get out is someone calls the sheriffs Dept. Used to be, that folks would just put em back in. Those days are just about over here.

Everyone around here used to be able to drive a tractor. Most could operate one. But everyone could drive one. Not so much now. Guess time doesn't stand still. Things must change for better or worse. I admire your scenery and the way of life that still exists there. And those corrals could be a backdrop for a western movie. Very nice.
This whole county is "open range". That means if you hit a cow (or other livestock) you pay the damages including paying for the cow. I guess the only part that isn't is the Interstate but that has pretty good fences and cattle guards at all the on and off ramps. My closest neighbor has a band of brood mares and young horses that wander up and down the road everyday. I refer to them as the roadside vegetation management team. He says it doesn't cost him much to feed them.

Progress came to a halt this morning. Apparently the ditch to catch tail water from the irrigation got plugged. That caused the tail water to run into the corral. Nice weather and working on the corral everyday, I left my tools where I stopped work. This morning two drills I use for drilling pilot holes for the lag bolts were both completely under water. Not good. I shock them out the best I could and set them in the high and dry where the sun would dry them. About an hour ago I test ran them. They both worked so I will be back at it in the morning.

out to pasture said:
looks good makes my back hurt just looking at it !
Didn't hurt the back at all thanks to the wonders of hydraulics. I did get lots of practice climbing on and off the tractor getting the post in the right spot. But I did get better as the project went along. That screw up with the tail water has set things back a few days. It is still a sloppy mess out there this morning.

Latest posts