Will vultures eat a live calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

jdg

Reaction score
Was wondering what the consensus was on vultures preying on fresh born calves. I know they will eat afterbirth and dead calves, but has anyone seen vultures trying to eat a live calf?
-dg

Normally, no turkey vultures wont. I have to share the exception though I witnessed. One day I was out walking amongst the calving cow herd. A couple vultures were circling, not uncommon, they like old placenta. You all know how a young calf can "look totally dead" when sleeping hard.? Well, a ways ahead of me a couple week old calf was doing just that, laying in the warm sun. Sure enough, a vulture swoops down and attempts to get his dead prey landing on the calf. That calf jumped up and bellered holy $#!!, mom comes running, and mr vulture stumbled and finally got upright and took off. I bet that bird was woken up LOL. He did no harm to the calf btw. I laughed for ever over that, so sorry I didnt have a vid cam. :lol2:

Yes. Those black Mexican buzzards will kill a calf in a heartbeat. Shhot them on sight! The calf dies a slow, horrible death too.

I seen a regular turkey vulture eating on a raccoon that was still half alive. Thing would stand up, move a step and fall over again. Al while the bird was pecking at its ass

We're starting to see them make their way to Ohio. Most people that know their reputation shoot them as soon as they see them

HOSS":1zq5hyf0 said:
Yes. Those black Mexican buzzards will kill a calf in a heartbeat. Shhot them on sight! The calf dies a slow, horrible death too.
Couldn't agree more!! It got to the point that we carry shotguns on the Gator when we are checking calves. You will usually see them perched in a tree above the calf... typically when you shoot at them, they will fly off and not return.

Brian

I seen a regular turkey vulture eating on a raccoon that was still half alive. Thing would stand up, move a step and fall over again. Al while the bird was pecking at its ass

How can these birds eat all that dead, diseased, rabid things, and still survive? If most animals even look at those things they would get sick/die?

Probably not a good idea to be bragging about shooting them. SSS applies, as I understand it they are protected

Have mexican vultures in Indiana last few years. Not as many Turkey vultures as used to be. Hear of a few people have trouble with the mex not so much the Turkey. Coyote get blamed most time.
Seem to see larger colonies along the Ohio river.

Latest posts