Will this pair make Baldies or

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj":2837ysiu said:
They are hereford hogs arent they? We raised large black hogs but had trouble getting them bred on pasture with power lines and the static in the ground. Meat we excellent.

Large blacks are or were notorious for there lack of fertility. The gene pool was very small and they all became ''breeders''. No one would cull the poor ones because they were a rare breed and every one wanted them and would pay high prices.

Casturate four nice 5 month old boars A.I. bred and the next day you get three calls for a boar. I thought about re-attaching them remember that Bobbett fellow. :D

I don't remember him but the name Lorena Bobbett still gives me nightmares!!! :lol:

Doc, here you go, from the Hereford Hog Association:

History

During the early part of the present century a strain of hogs whose color markings resembled to a great extent the red and white markings of Hereford cattle was developed by Mr. R.U. Weber of LaPlata, MO. Little is known of his exact matings, hence his progress was extremely slow.

About twenty years later (1902 to 1925) a group of hog breeders in Iowa and Nebraska by cooperative effort and under the leadership of Mr. John Schulte of Norway, IA, developed a strain of swine they, too named Herefords.

These men had definite goals in mind as to type, color, conformation, superior feeding qualities and other favorable characteristics to develop in their foundation stock. Both Duroc and Poland China blood lines were used to a considerable extent in a judicidous program of crossing, inbreeding, interbreeding, and selecting to develop superior foundation breeding stock.

In 1934, sponsored by the Polled Hereford Cattle Registry Association located in Des Moines, Iowa, the National Hereford Hog Record Association was organized. About one hundred selected animals from the herds of Mr. John Schulte of Norway, Iowa; Mr. A.J. Way of New Sharon, Iowa; Mr. Henry Weimers; of Diller, Nebraska; G.P. Rue of Nickerson, Nebraska; and P.W. Mitchell of Van Meter, Iowa; were selected as foundation stock for original registry.

Chris H":1e1bdlji said:
Doc, here you go, from the Hereford Hog Association:

History

During the early part of the present century a strain of hogs whose color markings resembled to a great extent the red and white markings of Hereford cattle was developed by Mr. R.U. Weber of LaPlata, MO. Little is known of his exact matings, hence his progress was extremely slow.

About twenty years later (1902 to 1925) a group of hog breeders in Iowa and Nebraska by cooperative effort and under the leadership of Mr. John Schulte of Norway, IA, developed a strain of swine they, too named Herefords.

These men had definite goals in mind as to type, color, conformation, superior feeding qualities and other favorable characteristics to develop in their foundation stock. Both Duroc and Poland China blood lines were used to a considerable extent in a judicidous program of crossing, inbreeding, interbreeding, and selecting to develop superior foundation breeding stock.

In 1934, sponsored by the Polled Hereford Cattle Registry Association located in Des Moines, Iowa, the National Hereford Hog Record Association was organized. About one hundred selected animals from the herds of Mr. John Schulte of Norway, Iowa; Mr. A.J. Way of New Sharon, Iowa; Mr. Henry Weimers; of Diller, Nebraska; G.P. Rue of Nickerson, Nebraska; and P.W. Mitchell of Van Meter, Iowa; were selected as foundation stock for original registry.
Chris H-

Thank you for your research efforts! I appreciate your taking the time. I do remember that there were several other breeders involved in the breed's development. At the time in MU Ag school I was working at home with registered Durocs, and was focusing on Angus beef cattle more and more, so my attention span on these Hereford Hogs was pretty short!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts