Will this pair make Baldies or

Help Support CattleToday:

Polly is registered and I normally get 3-400$ for her 2 month old piglets.

I sell half the litter like that and raise the rest for pork.

I can create a demand for boars just by nutting the ones I have left. :bang:

Named'em Tamed'em":x2ml61hv said:
Polly is registered and I normally get 3-400$ for her 2 month old piglets.

I sell half the litter like that and raise the rest for pork.

I can create a demand for boars just by nutting the ones I have left. :bang:

Not knowing diddly about hogs i have to ask what breed she is. I am kinda fascinated by the idea of heirloom breeds of hogs.

They are hereford hogs arent they? We raised large black hogs but had trouble getting them bred on pasture with power lines and the static in the ground. Meat we excellent.

Named'em Tamed'em":12ja9uvd said:
Named'em Tamed'em-

Sixty seven years ago (1947), a classmate of mine at the University of Missouri Ag School was the son of the man who originated the "Hereford Hog" breed. They were Registered Hereford Cattle breeders and wanted to develop a "Hereford Swine" breed. He and I briefly worked together on the Genetics and Phenotype Selection factors to develop the breed, but there was not enough basic information at that time with which to work to focus on the Genotype, and it resolved into "Single Trait Selection" decisions, which, as we all know with Cattle matings, creates a 'failed' time problem insofar as other "Multiple traits" are concerned. I have forgotten his name at this late date. Could you provide any information in that regard? I believe they lived in Northeastern Missouri, but I can't say for certain.

DOC HARRIS

She is a Reg. Hereford out of an A.I. boar named Exodus. Out west there aren't as many Hereford beeders, so I get pretty fair money for the ones I select for breeders. Kind of funny when somebody drives 975 miles one way from Colorado and loads a pig in a 4-horse Featherlight trailer.

But it's the same as everything else, have a litter loaded with nice gilts and everybody needs a boar.

Casturate four nice 5 month old boars A.I. bred and the next day you get three calls for a boar. I thought about re-attaching them remember that Bobbett fellow. :D

Doc I will dig up that fellows name.

Latest posts