Wild heifer on the run

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":250xn2gi said:
get her captured and put her in a very secure corral and start graining her till she is finished. By then she will have calmed down just fine.

That's what I did. She is still a little skittish when I come in, but when the grain goes down, she's ready to go. She's doing very well putting some meat on her bones. Her name has changed from Sataness to hamburger.

Doesn't sound like an animal that is going to calm down enough to catch. She will make good burger no matter what though. There are folks out there who will come rope her and put her in a trailer. Get hold of some "horse people" and ask around. Around here there are folks that do it for fun. I would give them some cash for their trouble though. If you can't get her into a corral, I really only see two choices, get ropes on her, or put her down. Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice on this heifer. I have not seen her since she ran off the other day. I can't find a tranq. gun. Does anyone know about how much one would cost? I figure that if I went this route and got her to the sale I might get around 250.00 -300.00 for her. If a gun cost less than that it might be worth it to buy one.

ashcass2":iscm1rmh said:
I can't find a tranq. gun.

First put in a call to your vet, then a call to your local sale-barn/market. Those 2 folks/places should be able to direct you to someone who may have a tranq. gun and be willing to do it for you.

If you cannot locate someone who has one, and one is cost prohibitive, then get out your rifle and shoot the dang thing and be done with her. Cut her up and eat her, whatever. Either way as long as she is 'on the loose' she is a liability.

Good luck.

Katherine

I've only had one ornery one so far but she made the whole herd wolder when she would get riled up. I want cattle that come TO me not run the other way when I come into the pasture. The rest of them were much calmer with her gone.

As others have said, I think you need to do something with a wild one to get them out of and away from the rest of your herd, as soon as possible. Cattle learn from each other too - and learning you can push through fences at will is not something you want the others to learn. jmho.

Good luck. Jim

Our local dog catcher (think his title is humane something) has a tranquillizer gun. They didn't charge me anything, you might try them or local humane society.

UPDATE**** Today she showed up on my property so I went ahead and gave her a lead injection. She is now in my frig and waiting to be turned into steaks and hamburger. I sure hope she taste good.

When they give you trouble like that,.......it's funny, but they always seem to taste a little better.

I put th meat in the fridge and today I ground some up into hamburger. It has a bit of a strange smell. Is this because it needs to be in the fridge for a while. Also I am storing the meat in zip lock storage bags. Is this a good way to store the meat while it "bleeds"? Any suggestions on the best way to process this meat , at my house, please let me know.
Thanks

Cut the loins and tenderloins into steaks, burger the rest. She's too young to do much else.

My neighbor waits till the snow gets real deep and then runs the ragin' angus down with a snowmobile. Do you get a lot of snow?

I like to shoot them out of the pick up window (to keep them calm and relaxed) and then mix with pork (to aid help with grilling the burger). I think they taste better my way.

Latest posts