wild cows get tamer with age?

Help Support CattleToday:

circlet":ftw2ycpk said:
a buddy of mine had a heifer that had a breech calf last year and he tells me that it turned a normal cow into a pretty wild one. you basically can't get her in a working chute and she heads for the hills if you show up in the pasture (again he says she wasn't that way before). my attitude about such cows is that you should probably send them to the sale barn or butcher, but he says that he thinks that she'll mellow with age. i know each cow will have it's own personality, but do you think there's any truth to that and she will mellow out a little? i almost wonder if it won't be the opposite and she'll get mean on top of it?

just curious...

Based on the information given, it does not sound to me like she was a wild/crazy cow to begin with. If that is true, she could very well calm down given some time and a few workings through the chute. Cows are not quite as dumb as some people would like to think, and a bad experience can certainly affect how that cow responds to people/handling for some time to come.

She will probably mellow as long as she is the only one heading for the hills. I think they begin to feel stupid when they do this and no other cow follows them. I suspect a lot of the outcome will depend on its pecking order in the herd. If she is a more dominate animal and she starts bringing others with her I would most definitely get rid of her cause it don't take but one dominate cow to mess up a bunch of them. Now those psycho cows that stalk you. I found they mellow quite well when you put some lead in their forehead. Personally I rather take a licking on a cow like this than to pass my problem on to you or someone else.

by Jogeephus
Now those psycho cows that stalk you.

That sums it up in a nut shell. Well I guess we can all feel special because we have had a stalker, do you think one could get a restraining order or an order of protection in these cases.. :lol2:

Latest posts