WILD 4-H STEER?

Help Support CattleToday:

poultryrancher

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, and am hoping to get some answers to my questions.
I got my steer for 4-H yesterday. He was calved March 2007 and has been petted and stuff as a calf, but never had been haltered until two weeks ago. In those two weeks of dragging a lead rope around, he has learned to lead. When we brought him home last night and let him loose in his new pen, the first thing he did was ram the horse pannels where we were . Today he is much calmer, but still will ram into the pannels if you tick him off. He'll let you pet him for a couple seconds. He also tries to lick you. What's that about?
I'm reading on the web that pasture raised steer sometimes never get as tame as hand raised steer, and that he'll be spookier at the fair and more unpredictable around people.
The deadline for steer ownership is tuesday, so this is my only shot at raising a steer this year. I really don't wanna give up on him, but I don't want to put alot of work and pain into an animal that will break loose and stampede people at the fair.
So my question is, how do I tame him to the point where I won't worrry about him trying to kill me? I've heard some people tie them to a tractor to teach them to lead. We have a little tractor. Is that a bad idea. He is 800 LBS right now. Any tips or tricks? Oh, by the way, if it makes any difference, I am 5'7 and 145 LBS.
If you've shown a pasture raised steer please comment! I need opinions from people who actually raise cattle and if this is normal or not. Thanks!
PS- The steer (who I call T-Bone) is 3/4 angus and has a little bit of shorthorn and possible holstein.poultryrancher
Beginner

Have you owned cattle before?

He's in a new place, new people, you've had him less than 24 hours, and you didn't say if you have another calf in his pen that's already familiar with you to help calm him down. Yes he's going to be stressed, nervous, and it's going to take him awhile to settle in. Normal.

The steer I used in 4H had never been handled, and cleared the fence after I unloaded him. By fair time he was dog gentle and one of the best broke steers there. In your place, I'd just tie him up once a day for the next two weeks and spend an hour a day with him, just brushing him and talking to him. He needs to learn who you are and trust you, and you need to learn the same about him. Worry about leading him later. JMO.

He is in a pen right lol. You got that far. He is just up set because he is in a new place and all that. The first few days after I get a new one I go in and feed clean stalls tie them up til i'm though then feed and let them be. If you can still walk the next morning and you didnt have to spend the night in the ER then it will be okay ;-)

poultryrancher":29infv6z said:
Hi, I'm new here, and am hoping to get some answers to my questions.
I got my steer for 4-H yesterday. He was calved March 2007 and has been petted and stuff as a calf, but never had been haltered until two weeks ago. In those two weeks of dragging a lead rope around, he has learned to lead.

Congrats on your new project.

When we brought him home last night and let him loose in his new pen, the first thing he did was ram the horse pannels where we were . Today he is much calmer, but still will ram into the pannels if you tick him off. He'll let you pet him for a couple seconds. He also tries to lick you. What's that about?

New places are scray, as are trailer rides. He may just need a couple days to settle in. What do you mean by "horse panels?" How tall are they?

I'm reading on the web that pasture raised steer sometimes never get as tame as hand raised steer, and that he'll be spookier at the fair and more unpredictable around people.

Not true at all. It may be true that a hand raised steer is easier to tame but if you put the time in any steer will be calm at fair and fine around people.

The deadline for steer ownership is tuesday, so this is my only shot at raising a steer this year. I really don't wanna give up on him, but I don't want to put alot of work and pain into an animal that will break loose and stampede people at the fair.

Kinda waited until the last minute, didn't we? If your not willing to put in the time and work VERY hard, you might just wanna quit now and cut your losses. Raising cattle isn't easy.

So my question is, how do I tame him to the point where I won't worrry about him trying to kill me? I've heard some people tie them to a tractor to teach them to lead. We have a little tractor. Is that a bad idea. He is 800 LBS right now. Any tips or tricks? Oh, by the way, if it makes any difference, I am 5'7 and 145 LBS.

From the sounds of it, your steer isnt trying to kill you and is actually fairly manageable. Tie him to a post and scratch him. Many people use grain and treats or range cubes. I don't know what the point of tying him to a tractor would be if he already knows how to lead, which you stated above that he does. No, it does not make a difference that you are 145lbs. Your steer weighs over 4 times that. What matters is whats between your ears.

If you've shown a pasture raised steer please comment! I need opinions from people who actually raise cattle and if this is normal or not. Thanks!
PS- The steer (who I call T-Bone) is 3/4 angus and has a little bit of shorthorn and possible holstein.poultryrancher
Beginner

I have only shown pasture raised steers, never had the luxury of someone hand taming them for me or putting the halter on for me. From the sounds of it, your steer is just a tad bit nervous. Its completely normal for the animals to be a little jittery in surroundings they are unsure of.

I posted my comments in the beginner section. My only other advice would be for you to be patient. It will take time for the steer to learn to trust you.

Your calf is scarred, he is in a new environment and no other cattle to turn to, Cattle are fight or flight animals, when they are scarred they run away from what scares them, if they cant run then they will fight what scares them. If you had two calves it would not be as bad as it is with one, but you and he can get through it.

1. leave him alone for the first week, this means feed water and talk to him, don't try to work with him at all, once he figures out that he is ok it will get better.
2. After he has calmed down, you can start working with him, take your time and take small steps, you have plenty of time don't rush it.
3. When you start tying him you will need to stay around and watch him they can freak out and hurt them self, you need to be able to get him untied or up if he goes down.

We had an Angus steer break out as we unloaded him, go thru 4 or 5 fences spend 3 days in the river bed. Had to get a local cowboy to come rope him and run him into the trailer, left him in the trailer for 2 days before he calmed down, 2 weeks later we were rinsing and blow drying him out with out any issue.

Take your time and be patient,

Good Luck

TNMasterBeefProducer":818re5ax said:
Shoot the sob and eat him. There is no use in trying to deal with a high headed animal. You will wind up hurt in the long run. Id just shoot him and make hamburger out of him.

Don't listen to this. Its just a bunch of crap.

Just be paitent with him. He is in a new place and is probably a bit scared. Let him calm down for a week or so and then start to work with him. Don't worry about the licking. Its is totally normal. My steers that I have right now do it all the time. He won't be spooky around people at fair if you 'socialize' him. Take him to some smaller jackpots and get him used to being in different surroundings. (That is after he is calm and able to lead on a halter) From the sounds of it, he is not trying to kill you, just trying to get away because he is scared. You just need to show him that you are not afraid of him. That is where most beginners go wrong. They are afraid of the steer and he knows it so they take advantage of them. Tie him to a post and scratch. When you get towards his back legs, use a broom or show stick to brush over them until he gets used to being touched back there.

I have a Vegas steer that was probably one of the most "Up" headed steers that I have had in a LONG time. All I did was get him into a smaller pen and fished the halter onto his head. Once I did that, I quickly got him tied to a secure fence and let him fight the rope. And fight he did! He fought it so hard that he bloodied his nose and his chin was swollen for days. It was a bit scary, yes, but once I got him to where he would stand tied to the fence without fighting it, I started to comb him. Just the neck, shoulder, and body at first. 10-15 minutes at a time, then I would let him loose. I finally got to where I could comb all the way around to his tail and walk around the other side no problem, then I used the show stick to 'brush' along his back legs. He kicked at it a few times but soon quit. He is now one of the gentlest steers that I have this year. My cousin, who has never shown cattle, nor been around them too much, is able to lead, wash, dry, comb...ect without a problem.

I guess my point is, is just give him time. Be paitent with him and do things as gentle as possible. If you do not hurt him, he will have no reason to be afraid of you. Good Luck :tiphat:

TNMasterBeefProducer":3mtamnwx said:
Shoot the sob and eat him. There is no use in trying to deal with a high headed animal. You will wind up hurt in the long run. Id just shoot him and make hamburger out of him.
:roll: shows how much you know

TNMasterBeefProducer":1bdgvebc said:
Bunch of crap huh? Lol that is funny. He/She will be thinking it is a bunch of crap when they are laid up in the icu at the hospital or worse yet taking a dirt nap.

Well yeah...from the description that this person has given us, this steer is just frightened with his new setting. With a little TLC he will calm down and be okay in no time. :D

WEEK ONE UPDATE: Thank you so much for all the encouragement and advice guys! T-Bone (the steer) is much calmer now. Yesterday my 4-H steer project leader came to check him and said he's pretty docile for a pasture raised steer. He even got in the pen with him, crouched down, and pulled him over to him. It was amazing! T-Bone let him pet him on the forehead and scratch him behind the ears. Something to do with when you're lower than their eye level they don't see you as a threat. Then I got to get in the pen with him and pet him and scratch his ears. I was amazed! We added some more horse pannels to the pen today to make it bigger, and he kinda got upset about that, but overall he's calming down and I will keep you posted!

Great keep up the good work :D
What also helped us is tieing them up to the fence every day. their head should be in show position. Pet and brush him and then after thirty minutes, let him have some slack and feed him. It takes about a month of this and then your ready to walk, maybe sooner. :D

By the way, please be carefull about putting yourself lower than him. On your knees is not a very smart idea. It also sounds to me you havnt been around cattle that much. That animal can plow you over before you ever get to a standing position. Make sure there is someone around with you while working the steer. It's never a good idea to have a beginner by themself with an animal they are not use to handling. Also, steel toe shoes are a plus for everyone working around these animals, go get yourself a pair, pronto :D

Latest posts