Wife's steer, opinions wanted:

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Img_1180.jpg

Knock the horns off, wipe their butts, slap them and serve.

Salad on the side is ok - but bring on the garlic salt!

Bez>

Tab/s":2v75f29n said:
A little thinner than i like to see them. If it was mine i'd smack the butcher.

Sure does make me hungry though.

One more thingit dont look like the carcass had excess fat was it tender?

I like a thin steak, had the butcher cut it 3/4" on purpose. Not much fat, it was plenty tender.

Calf belonged to wife, 1/4 tarentaise, 3/4 BA. Was the runt out of the litter. I'm surprised no one commented on his questionable topline or pinched heartgirth.

cfpinz

cfpinz":2w9fpsay said:
Tab/s":2w9fpsay said:

I like a thin steak, had the butcher cut it 3/4" on purpose. Not much fat, it was plenty tender.

Calf belonged to wife, 1/4 tarentaise, 3/4 BA. Was the runt out of the litter. I'm surprised no one commented on his questionable topline or pinched heartgirth.

cfpinz

i started to say something about his pinched heart girth but figured i'd let Doc take care of that.

cowboyup216":3aawyd9f said:
I hate t bones. TO much fat on em for my liking. Only cut I like is sirloin. The rest is hamburger or filet mignon.

CBU216 are you watching your figure?

Beefy":ukfdgi4y said:
cfpinz":ukfdgi4y said:
Tab/s":ukfdgi4y said:

cfpinz

i started to say something about his pinched heart girth but figured i'd let Doc take care of that.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Scary thing is if Doc might actually be able to tell. :shock:

It's making me look forward to picking up my steer on Wednesday.:) I like thin steaks too and went with the 3/4 inch. What I really like is the hamburger though. It's so much better than the grocery store.

cowboyup216":3pa2te2t said:
I hate t bones. TO much fat on em for my liking. Only cut I like is sirloin. The rest is hamburger or filet mignon.

you do realise that the big side of the T-bone (the side with the fat) is indeed the sirloin?

This might show my ignorance Knersie, but I believe when that piece is cut off it becomes the boneless ribeye. The sirloin is a leaner cut, with no bones. Maybe my meat cutting years have failed me.

oakcreekfarms":3lk2jpox said:
This might show my ignorance Knersie, but I believe when that piece is cut off it becomes the boneless ribeye. The sirloin is a leaner cut, with no bones. Maybe my meat cutting years have failed me.

Its the same muscle, as you more towards the forequarter it usually refered to as the rib eye. Its also called porterhouse steak.

I think Cowboy was meaning the tenderloin, also called fillet, which is the smaller side of the t-bone and has no fat.

Victoria":1ywk9ie5 said:
It's making me look forward to picking up my steer on Wednesday.:) I like thin steaks too and went with the 3/4 inch. What I really like is the hamburger though. It's so much better than the grocery store.
Thought I was the only one that liked hamburger. Makes me feel a little better.

Makes me feel better too, hambuger is sometimes my favorite.
Nice steer by the way bet he is eating a little less now

oakcreekfarms wrote:

Its the same muscle, as you more towards the forequarter it usually refered to as the rib eye. Its also called porterhouse steak.

Yes thats right. As memory serves me, Meat Cutting 101, it is the Longissmuss Dorsi muscle that makes up the rib eye and runs from there all the way through the sirloin.

There's plenty of stuff to grind on a critter. Why would anyone grind a choice or prime "T Bone" :shock: :( :eek:

mnmtranching":3a86pg08 said:
Why would anyone grind a choice or prime "T Bone" :shock: :( :eek:

Neighbor grinds everything. Store bought teeth don; work too well.

oakcreekfarms":2jo8kbu7 said:

When that big side is cut off, it is called a "Strip", or "New York Strip" steak.

The small side is the "Tenderloin".

I would guess these steaks would be graded USDA Select. My favorite.

Victoria":2enrlqcy said:
Beefy":2enrlqcy said:
cfpinz":2enrlqcy said:
Tab/s":2enrlqcy said:

cfpinz

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Scary thing is if Doc might actually be able to tell. :shock:
I have to take Ruthie to a physical therapy session now - but I will go into detail as to how to really "tell" about the heart girth. It's not magic. Later.

DOC HARRIS

Okay - I'm B-a-a-a-a-ck!

To help understand WHY it is important for a Beef producer to be able to select the type of seedstock which will make him a profit, he must realize what the factors are which will produce an animal that the consumer wants. . . . and MOST city dwelling consumers don't have a clue what different cuts of meat are - or from what part of the animal the cut comes! Recently, retail meat packers have come up with cute names and sizes for different parts of the carcass in order to sell a higher PERCENTAGE of the dressed carcass than in the past. They cut it on a different angle across the meat fasciculus (the meat fibers that comprise the entire muscle when 'connected' together), or straight across, such as is shown in these cuts on the grill.

These important muscles in the back and sides (ribs) are where the sirloins, rib-eye steaks, Porterhouse, Filet Mignon(part of the tenderloin) are located and are cuts from the longissimus dorsi muscles which are part of the Erector Spinae muscle - which muscles make for a strong, level topline in the live animal.

As you know, when the carcass is hung on the rail and cut in half (almost), the cut is between the 12th and 13th ribs. That is where the rib-eye size is measured and recorded. Near the upper(or forward) end of the carcass (neck area meeting the body area) and just behind the front legs is where the "Heart Girth" is located when observing the live animal. The Genetic and Phenotypic structure of the body of the animal (depth of body and spring of rib) is predicated at this area. Likewise, the relative size, rib-eye area, and capacity or volume of the animal is partially determined at this CRITICAL location - thus making "Pinched Heart Girth" a significant characteristic to be considered in the analysis of both Maternal and Terminal Seedstock selection. An acceptable and desirable "Heart Girth" area should appear filled in smoothly from the neck and shoulder area, blending into the sides of the animal along the ribs, giving a flat, wide appearance across the back just behind the withers, or shoulder blades resulting in a desirable "spring of rib" and adequate body capacity for breeding purposes - NOT looking as if the animal had a cinch pulled up tightly and restricting the lung area.

It means MONEY to any producer who understands what importance it signifies in Breedstock sales and Feedlot profits.

An animal with a strong, level topline, full heart girth, deep level chest and floor, and good spring of rib is a PROFIT waiting to happen!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts