Why is it

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
The guys that have never been able to accomplish anything on their own feel like they know everything ?
I see it a lot where some young guy(some older too) gripe and complain about the way Daddy or Granddad does things and how wrong and stupid they are.
Yet Ol dumb Dad or Granddad bought and paid for the land and all the equipment, but doing it wrong according to Jr that got all his smarts out of a book.
Jr wouldn't have a pot to pi$$ in if it weren't for someone giving it to him, but he so dam arrogant he can't see it
At times I think it would be better not allow property to be passed down in the family
Everybody starts out empty handed, sink or swim

I have always been a big propionate of paddling your own canoe. I wouldn't want to farm, if I had to farm with my dad. He's a great guy, and I love him. I just have to do my own thing.

With that said, I see no way for any of my children to strike out on their own someday. The only way they will have their own operation is with a really really good job. Land is disproportionately high here, and just might stay that way forever.

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way
I cant stand for someone that hasn't done anything on their own and while riding someone elses shirt tail always saying "we" have this or "we" done this and say "but I'm going to fix it"
They push their chest out talking about everything that have and how things need to be done, but couldn't put garden spot together on their own

I'd just like to see them do something noteworthy before spouting off

cross_7":3pfqe2gi said:
The guys that have never been able to accomplish anything on their own feel like they know everything ?
I see it a lot where some young guy(some older too) gripe and complain about the way Daddy or Granddad does things and how wrong and stupid they are.
Yet Ol dumb Dad or Granddad bought and paid for the land and all the equipment, but doing it wrong according to Jr that got all his smarts out of a book.
Jr wouldn't have a pot to pi$$ in if it weren't for someone giving it to him, but he so dam arrogant he can't see it
At times I think it would be better not allow property to be passed down in the family
Everybody starts out empty handed, sink or swim
I have seen the inheritance thing referred to elsewhere as "the lucky sperm" club. My father and I did not get along all that great when it came to cows, but most of what I learned, I learned from him. 2/3 of what I own, I bought from him.

cross_7":xxi47kj1 said:
I cant stand for someone that hasn't done anything on their own and while riding someone elses shirt tail always saying "we" have this or "we" done this and say "but I'm going to fix it"
They push their chest out talking about everything that have and how things need to be done, but couldn't put garden spot together on their own

You are not really POed at a father son op I'm sure. Someone saw it that way. Didn't think that was your intent.

I have a dairyman's son in law that I have to deal with. He's my age and lives in a mobile home behind the owner's house and his full time job is to drive around and tell everyone how good he is. I'm about the only person left that still puts up with him and that because I've been there longer than he has and I'm still hoping he'll come around. He does treat me a little better since he knows I know the truth. Surprisingly enough his mom is a full time politician... I wonder where he got it...
In the meantime, the two younger daughters have married and both of the new son in laws have a pretty good start in the dairy business thanks to their father in law complete with cattle hand picked by me. :mrgreen:

Bigfoot":3hz8jyin said:
I have always been a big propionate of paddling your own canoe. I wouldn't want to farm, if I had to farm with my dad. He's a great guy, and I love him. I just have to do my own thing.

With that said, I see no way for any of my children to strike out on their own someday. The only way they will have their own operation is with a really really good job. Land is disproportionately high here, and just might stay that way forever.
I agree. Land, equipment, infrastructure. Your children better have that given to them because cows cannot pay for it.

Growing up in my Dad's house you were expected to hit the road the minute you got out of school and paddle your own canoe. Before Dad died I was putiing money in his account to keep him afloat with all the medical bill's so Mom could still live a normal life at home.
A lot of what you are seeing is a generational thing when I was growing up once you were grown, mom and dad didn't owe you anything it was the kid's that owed mom and dad and was there job to take care of them.

Caustic Burno":2a0nz936 said:
Growing up in my Dad's house you were expected to hit the road the minute you got out of school and paddle your own canoe. Before Dad died I was putiing money in his account to keep him afloat with all the medical bill's so Mom could still live a normal life at home.
A lot of what you are seeing is a generational thing when I was growing up once you were grown, mom and dad didn't owe you anything it was the kid's that owed mom and dad and was there job to take care of them.

It's the disrespect for the generation that busted their butts and built something and didn't just have it handed to them.
Then a big mouth comes along laying claim to it and acting as if they have done something to earn it, makes me sick
I have always respected a man that went out made his own way and understands what it's like to start at the bottom.

True story
There is this kid and he farms across the road from a place I used to have.
He married into a well to do family and his father in law set him up right and one day I'm leaving my place and shutting the gate and he stops.
He doesn't know me and starts sizing me up, asking if farm, you just have cows then, how many cows and so on
Well I don't impress him none and he goes on about his way.
I thought if I pulled that when I was a kid I'd of had my ears beat down

HDRider":2c8c0wjb said:
cross_7":2c8c0wjb said:

You are not really POed at a father son op I'm sure. Someone saw it that way. Didn't think that was your intent.

I know two guys that I went to school with that inherited their daddy's places but when i was out drinking beer or sleeping it off the next morning their daddys were working them boys butts off
They have both done well with it but I ain't sure about their boys

Latest posts