Why does every breed of cattle cross so well with Angus?

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
The Beefmaster thread made me ponder this question. The only breeds that Angus doesn't cross the best with is Longhorn and Corriente, and Angus does well there just not the very best cross.

I think there is more to the popularity of the Angus breed than the rhetoric commonly posted on this forum, which is - they are popular because the AAA effectively markets them.

Black Angus are fundamentally sound cattle. Their performance, size, docility, fertility, ability to process fescue, etc. has made them the go-to-breed. Cross those traits with breeds like Simmental and you get additional performance in heterosis and the extra milk and muscle of Simmental.

From what I seen, I think the other breeds are improving the Angus carcasses, not the other way.

True Grit Farms":34yemat7 said:
The Beefmaster thread made me ponder this question. The only breeds that Angus doesn't cross the best with is Longhorn and Corriente, and Angus does well there just not the very best cross.
Angus compliment a lot of breeds...the only way to compliment longhorns is to say, nice horns...

Muddy":1w8twgoh said:
Or maybe because they're black?
That's a ignorant post, color has nothing to do with performance. You may think that you can fool the buyers and feed lots, but your only fooling yourself. A good example of color is the baldies, or super baldies whether the cow is red or black makes about the best commercial cow going.

OR, one could ask the question: Why does every breed of cattle cross so well with Simmental

If you are a fan of a breed then it stands to reason you think it crosses well with everything.

Silver":3o503w2r said:
OR, one could ask the question: Why does every breed of cattle cross so well with Simmental

If you are a fan of a breed then it stands to reason you think it crosses well with everything.

Hit the nail right on the head there.

Angus cross well because the genepool is large, the variety is full scale and there is something for everybody. Plus that warm fuzzy feeling when the black calves (assume Angus or a derivative) sell for a few more pennies. Also the breed has had more money pumped into it to prove out some of them more.

I was raised in Kentucky, born 1950. It is amazing how the Black Angus breed has replaced the the diversity of breeds that I remember growing up. The cattle have gotten blacker and blacker.

True Grit Farms":3yds7b1c said:
Muddy":3yds7b1c said:
That's a ignorant post, color has nothing to do with performance. You may think that you can fool the buyers and feed lots, but your only fooling yourself. A good example of color is the baldies, or super baldies whether the cow is red or black makes about the best commercial cow going.
Then why is that many breeds have gone black? Why it has to be black? Why not red hided or silver hided?

Muddy":xryjonxs said:
True Grit Farms":xryjonxs said:
Muddy":xryjonxs said:
Then why is that many breeds have gone black? Why it has to be black? Why not red hided or silver hided?
The reason a lot of cattle are black today, is that the public demands more taste and tenderness from their beef? And black Angus cattle are bred to produce marble and tenderness. Look at life in general, we like it easy. A major plus for Angus is it's made our teeth last longer, and people don't choke nearly as often as they use to eating beef.

To answer the headline question ... why does dicey breed of cattle cross so well with Angus ... maybe it's because Angus needs so much help and every breed has something to offer that helps them out.

:duck-n-cover:

In al seriousness, I'm amazed at the diversity available within the Angus breed... almost begs the question as to whether or not its truly just one breed.

The phenotypes are all over the place. Breeds should be consistent. Angus are not.

Sure, some are great, world-class cattle ... functional, fertile, fleshy and friendly ... some are bony, butt-less, barren behemoths ... some are piggy pygmies ...

MRRherefords":2emu2mqv said:
I can easily say why does every breed cross well with a Hereford bull. There would be a lot who disagreed and that can be said about any breed.
Come to think about it the lean and toughest breeds use Hereford blood. Hereford is a working man's breed and adds grit and hardiness. I've never felt Hereford crossed very well with any other breed besides Angus myself.

WalnutCrest":3bfqsu10 said:
To answer the headline question ... why does dicey breed of cattle cross so well with Angus ... maybe it's because Angus needs so much help and every breed has something to offer that helps them out.

:duck-n-cover:

In al seriousness, I'm amazed at the diversity available within the Angus breed... almost begs the question as to whether or not its truly just one breed.

The phenotypes are all over the place. Breeds should be consistent. Angus are not.

Sure, some are great, world-class cattle ... functional, fertile, fleshy and friendly ... some are bony, butt-less, barren behemoths ... some are piggy pygmies ...

Ebenezer stated:
Angus cross well because the genepool is large, the variety is full scale and there is something for everybody.

A bit of population dynamics to add to his statement:

A larger genepool will always have more diversity than a smaller genepool.

If you have a breed population of 100,000 individuals, that population will have 10 times more diversity than a breed population of 10,000 individuals. It is generally a direct relationship. That should help you understand why you see such diverse traits in the Angus breed.

Not all of the Angus breeders are on the same page...to many breeders with different ideas for em..just came through a area loaded down with Angus Bulls... Waiting on those special sales...like to have just the money in feed for those yearlings...that's just one farm, drive a 1/4 mile there's another..its that way all over...

True Grit Farms":ldwvwuh0 said:
MRRherefords":ldwvwuh0 said:
I can easily say why does every breed cross well with a Hereford bull. There would be a lot who disagreed and that can be said about any breed.
Come to think about it the lean and toughest breeds use Hereford blood. Hereford is a working man's breed and adds grit and hardiness. I've never felt Hereford crossed very well with any other breed besides Angus myself.

I really like Hereford cattle, I think they're pretty and produce meat just as well. The problem that I have with them is that they are not as readily available and cost more to buy (according to what I can find) than Angus. And no, I don't buy Craig's List special black-hided "Angus," either. If it was up to me, I'd buy either, but Angus win out b/c of availability and price. Plus, doing freezer beef, it's easier to sell b/c the Angus folks have done such an amazing job branding themselves.

ALACOWMAN":13iz9m96 said:
Not all of the Angus breeders are on the same page...to many breeders with different ideas for em..just came through a area loaded down with Angus Bulls... Waiting on those special sales...like to have just the money in feed for those yearlings...that's just one farm, drive a 1/4 mile there's another..its that way all over...

The standard objective of the Art of Breeding (it is not a science) is uniformity. No matter how artful the breeder, the laws of nature still rule.

Latest posts