Why do some Bulls have a hump on their neck?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
Why is it that some black cows have a big hump behind their head and others do not? What do you call that " hump?" Thanks in advance.

Your topic title asks about bulls and your post asks about cows, what sex of cattle are you asking about?

A bull should have a prominent well developed crest and a cow with a prominent crest is most likely sub fertile.

Dylan Biggs":188nlb7t said:
Your topic title asks about bulls and your post asks about cows, what sex of cattle are you asking about?

A bull should have a prominent well developed crest and a cow with a prominent crest is most likely sub fertile.
Many pure blood brahman "cows" have a hump, although not as exaggerated as the bulls.

TexasBred":16p22tb6 said:
Dylan Biggs":16p22tb6 said:

Many pure blood brahman cattle have a hump, although not as exaggerated as the bulls.

TB, my mistake for not thinking of Bos Indicus, I am in the habit of thinking Bos Taurus only, sorry.

Dylan Biggs":23kxf19k said:

I'm sorry for the confusion. I was looking at this post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66991 and wonder why some black cows have the sort of hump that the last bull has behind their head and some do not. I see some " stud" Angus with this hump that kind of look X bred to me.......What do you think?

As Dylan said in your bos taurus that would be called a crest and is a secondary sex characteristic and do agree with the steery female as she may be sub fertile. There is and has been plenty of conversation on here about skeletons in the closet of the breeds that don't allow breeding up in how they changed type over the years. With the DNA technology of today, if the associations or individuals really wanted to know the percentages of suspect animals is very possible to check, but then leads to the question of what do you do with the offspring of those animals who were breed under false pretenses.

(Sorry if I rambled)

Latest posts