Why Brahman?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black an Gus

Reaction score
Living in Alberta Canada you don't see any Brahman cattle being used for meat animals. Up here there's mainly Angus, Charolais, Simmental and Hereford with a few other breeds here and there. So my knowledge on Brahmans is limited. I'm just curious what the attraction is with mixing Brahman in with your cows. And does the meat taste good? How do the long eared calves sell at the auctions? Are Brangus cows any good? I think it would be cool to mix in a little Brahman in with my Black Angus and possibly start a trend.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

I don't think you will start a trend up there using them as they are not there for a reason. Brahman is used to help with heat tolerance and foraging. They make very good mothers but most need space when they have a newborn, else you may be lunch. They can easily be one man cows. If I've eaten Brahman I didn't know it so I can't help you there.

I wouldn't use any Brahman genetics at where you're at right now. Too cold for them to handle. Brimmer cattle didn't thriving very well in Minnesota as well and you can see lot of frostbite scars on them. Maybe an Ultrablack or a Beefmaster Advancer but that's it.

slick4591":1tzcki9a said:
I don't think you will start a trend up there using them as they are not there for a reason. Brahman is used to help with heat tolerance and foraging. They make very good mothers but most need space when they have a newborn, else you may be lunch. They can easily be one man cows. If I've eaten Brahman I didn't know it so I can't help you there.
I knew there was a reason. Thanks.

I've never ran cattle in your country, but I'd guess your too far north. I think they make a superior mother. Excellent milkers, and tons of hybred vigor. They are also excellent at doing what cows are supposed to do, and that's turning grass in to beef. 3/8 here, will not see a dock at the yard, so I hover at that. I'd do 50% if our market would tolerate it.

I have also had others tell me they've never noticed the following......Any pretty day, they will spend less time at the hay ring, than my British, and continentals.

I live in Florida. Not all Brahman are the same.
I bought 2 registered heifers that were beautiful, but not docile.
I had a Simmental cow that had a calf. My mom was visiting and went into the pasture to look at the calf.
The two Brahman heifers were all the way at the other end of the pasture. When they saw my mom
next to that calf they flew down and my mom had to climb the fence to get out.
I have Brahman Holstein cows and Brahman-Brown Swiss now. I bottle fed these and they are like pets.
A local breeder has been breeding registered Brahmans for years and they are as tame as any cow can be.
I read somewhere that a Brahman doesn't sweat until it is 109 degrees. Anyone in a hot climate can tell you that when Angus are laying down under a shade tree a Brahman calf is out in the pasture grazing.
You get docked when you sell steers or bulls with "too much ear". A quarter is the max.
A large commercial breeder for Florida has 21 bulls. 19 are Angus, 1 Brahman and I Hereford.
They keep Braford cows and get the calves they like...half Angus, quarter Hereford and quarter Brahman.
Brahman cows make great mommas and Brahman cattle live longer and produce longer with less feed.
Brahman cows can also jump fences like an Olympic horse. I'm sure not all of them do but every one I have ever had has.
I like my Brahman cows and there is nothing to compare with a Brahman calf with the big floppy ears.

Black an Gus":3n25yk9v said:
Living in Alberta Canada you don't see any Brahman cattle being used for meat animals. Up here there's mainly Angus, Charolais, Simmental and Hereford with a few other breeds here and there. So my knowledge on Brahmans is limited. I'm just curious what the attraction is with mixing Brahman in with your cows. And does the meat taste good? How do the long eared calves sell at the auctions? Are Brangus cows any good? I think it would be cool to mix in a little Brahman in with my Black Angus and possibly start a trend.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Thirty percent of the US herd is Brahman influence
Brahman cross bred calves draw a premium here on there way to Greely Co standing next to
the English Contential calves.
Seen Brangus/char heifers this weekend that would work anywhere at the sale barn.
The Brahman bring insect resistance, heat tolerance while maximizing hybrid vigor and longevity
in dam. Not unusual to get twenty years or more out of Brahman cross cows.
Full blood Brahmans couldn't handle severe winters.
Brahmans are intelligent and have long memories they won't tolerate rough treatment without a fight.
They know who owns them and you can lead them anywhere you can't drive them nowhere.

The attraction is mainly for locations with tropical and sub tropical climates. The beef has a good taste. Decades ago LSU had a big herd and the beef that was used in the cafeteria was Brahman. On steak night the line would be half a mile long.

Once CAB took over it was hard getting used to the difference in texture and flavor.

I bought some Brangus/Char heifers last week as opportunity girls.
Breed them to angus bull and sell this fall. They are definitely not staying to high strung.
Makes a beautiful cross about three quarters crazy you most definitely need Winnie Tx sale barn
style pen to let them calm down in.

As mentioned they are great mothers. You don't often hear of the mothers having difficulty giving birth. I love them they can be very gentle when handle properly. The ABBA recently put the docility rating in the EPD's 1 to 5. 1 being very gentle. JD Hudgins is doing a Traditional sale now on cattleinmotion, and you can view the bulls on there with the score on some of them. Brahmas are my breed of choice. I love em!!

texast":2387z1ue said:
As mentioned they are great mothers. You don't often hear of the mothers having difficulty giving birth. I love them they can be very gentle when handle properly. The ABBA recently put the docility rating in the EPD's 1 to 5. 1 being very gentle. JD Hudgins is doing a Traditional sale now on cattleinmotion, and you can view the bulls on there with the score on some of them. Brahmas are my breed of choice. I love em!!

Amen brother amen if a cow doesn't have Brimmer in her I don't want it.

To be honest, I've had some thoughts in getting a Brahman or two for just fun but I'm not in mood to shoving manure out of the barn during winters.

Muddy":1hx5dtwq said:
To be honest, I've had some thoughts in getting a Brahman or two for just fun but I'm not in mood to shoving manure out of the barn during winters.
Full blood would suffer where you live.
Brangus/ Char cross would make a good cow for that part of the world if you could find one.
Give a little Brimmer to play with.

Also V8 is having an internet sale as well. You can view the bulls on DVauctions and you'll see the Docile score on those bulls.. Both sale have some having pricing on the bulls starting at 4000, If I could I would buy without a doubt.

Caustic Burno":qylkrn02 said:
Muddy":qylkrn02 said:
Full blood would suffer where you live.
Brangus/ Char cross would make a good cow for that part of the world if you could find one.
Give a little Brimmer to play with.
I had been eyeing at a nice Ultrablack bull last month ago but decided against it.

Bought a simbrah heifer that is a sweet heart in two days she comes running wanting a cube.
She is about 650 pounds right now. I don't buy many heifers for myself to keep.
This little girl is home.

Muddy":2mn2jwrn said:
Nice heifer, what's up with the other one? You brought two or what?
Bought three she is bat shyt crazy she will stay in the pen a couple weeks and calm down
or I will take a fifty dollar hit on commission and resale her to hamburger to the barn.
She is Brangus/ char cross and scared to death. Never planed on keeping just running them till
grass runs out this fall and resale.
I pick up ten to twenty opportunity girls every spring since downsizing
have the grass and sell in the fall maintaining a small resident herd.

It would be nice to see Brahman work on the problem areas in the breed. There is only so far people will use your influence if the risks outweigh the benefits.

1. Too big. The industry is moving towards a more moderate sized southern cow. Frame 5 is the sweet spot, not Frame 11.

2. Udders. The breed association needs to get serious about the problems with sloppy udders and bell shaped balloon teats.

3. Beef Cattle Phenotype Improvement. Too many Grey and Red Brahman are more of a dual purpose dairy/beef cow than a true beef cow. Don't register dairy cattle and beef cattle together. Get the milk numbers down on the beef side.

Latest posts