Why Bama is so good.

Help Support CattleToday:

So much to say on this...
First off, Kiffen owes his career to Saban. Saban saved him, guy would probably be coaching high school ball somewhere by now if not for Saban. Not to mention he just got a fat contract pay bump...
Saban is the best head coach in college football, you can argue that, but his record speaks for itself. Make no mistake, college football is about WINNING. It means more money and better recruiting. Winners have a high level of accountability. It is no secret that Saban is one of the best at bringing in outstanding support coaches and explaining things very clearly and patiently in practice and films, so on game day, there is very little margin for excuses. The job is to execute the way you have been prepared to. He has no tolerance for stupid penalties or lack of discipline. That standard is et early.
No one is forcing these elite athletes to go to Bama. They CHOSE to because they realize it is a virtual one way ticket to the NFL payday; because guys like Saban and Meyer prepare players with the mental toughness and level of accountability that is expected at the million dollar contract level. Which is precisely why a larger percentage of players from these teams translate to the NFL. They are well coached, talented and mentally equipped to deal with the pressure.
It's pretty unrealistic to think you're never going to have to take an azz chewing as a man. I have taken my fair share, military service was just one place- and I dang sure wasn't getting paid what Kiffen is! Seen more than one successful business owner throw a tantrum. Communication is vital to success. 70% of communication is non verbal...You can question Saban's coping skills all day, but it doesn't change the fact that he is one of the best coaches who pushes elite athletes to their max potential. Most times, you can't talk someone into that. You have to push them-usually harder than the average guy, because they are accustomed to being successful with less effort than the average, hardworkingx not as gifted guy.

bball":1wdbwr3g said:
So much to say on this...
First off, Kiffen owes his career to Saban. Saban saved him, guy would probably be coaching high school ball somewhere by now if not for Saban. Not to mention he just got a fat contract pay bump...
Saban is the best head coach in college football, you can argue that, but his record speaks for itself. Make no mistake, college football is about WINNING. It means more money and better recruiting. Winners have a high level of accountability. It is no secret that Saban is one of the best at bringing in outstanding support coaches and explaining things very clearly and patiently in practice and films, so on game day, there is very little margin for excuses. The job is to execute the way you have been prepared to. He has no tolerance for stupid penalties or lack of discipline. That standard is et early.
No one is forcing these elite athletes to go to Bama. They CHOSE to because they realize it is a virtual one way ticket to the NFL payday; because guys like Saban and Meyer prepare players with the mental toughness and level of accountability that is expected at the million dollar contract level. Which is precisely why a larger percentage of players from these teams translate to the NFL. They are well coached, talented and mentally equipped to deal with the pressure.
It's pretty unrealistic to think you're never going to have to take an azz chewing as a man. I have taken my fair share, military service was just one place- and I dang sure wasn't getting paid what Kiffen is! Seen more than one successful business owner throw a tantrum. Communication is vital to success. 70% of communication is non verbal...You can question Saban's coping skills all day, but it doesn't change the fact that he is one of the best coaches who pushes elite athletes to their max potential. Most times, you can't talk someone into that. You have to push them-usually harder than the average guy, because they are accustomed to being successful with less effort than the average, hardworkingx not as gifted guy.

Well said BBall.

Bestoutwest":ndjhdcl0 said:
True Grit Farms":ndjhdcl0 said:
So now you think Bama could be even better if Satan changed his coaching style? Did you play any sports in school or were you part of the band?
I can still remember coach Carney yelling at me "cheap shot get out there and hit someone" The play isn't over till the whistle blows.

That's neither here-nor-there, but for the record I played sports. Just because you're a coach, at any level, doesn't mean you have to be an a-hole.

This situation, and subsequent conversation, has brought forth some interesting thoughts:
1) It says a lot about a man when he treats other people this way.
2) It also says a lot about a man when he allows himself to be treated this way.
3) Finally, it says a lot about a man who supports said head coach for treating people over a game.

BoW, you're correct. You don't need to be an ahole, but often, in today's world, when you hold someone to a high level of accountability, you're deemed an ahole. People don't care for it too much it seems.
1. It says he is being paid millions to construct a team of coaches and athletes and and expected to be the most successful by the program that hired him.
2. Yes, he understands he is not top dog. Most folks arent. Military service is a simple example where people have been ripped down, for a lot less money. Especially in basic training. It works very effectively to produce consistent, appropriate responses from large groups of people.
3. It's a game to us, or entertainment as TT pointed out so accuraty, but it is a billion dollar industry to these programs involved. Failure is not acceptable for programs like Bama, LSU, FSU, OSU or any of the other top feeders. Who knows the azz chewing Saban takes from the AD, or the AD takes from Bama Alum...it all rolls down hill. Maybe that's what Roll Tide really means! :D

bball":2jnxyoje said:
BoW, you're correct. You don't need to be an ahole, but often, in today's world, when you hold someone to a high level of accountability, you're deemed an ahole. People don't care for it too much it seems.

2. Yes, he understands he is not top dog. Most folks arent. Military service is a simple example where people have been ripped down, for a lot less money. Especially in basic training. It works very effectively to produce consistent, appropriate responses from large groups of people.

There are different ways to hold people to high standard of accountability, I will continue to deem anyone who has a verbal diarrhea tirade as an a-hole WHEN NO ONE'S LITERAL LIFE IS ON THE LINE. The military, healthcare, police, fire, etc. Those are apples-and-oranges different to football. No one will literally die if Alabama loses a game. As an anesthesiologist you mess up, that person the on the table is going to suffer and the head surgeon's license and career are on the line. You're holding the back position in a firefight and you mess up, your buddies might die. Big difference compared with a guy dropping an inflated pigskin.

TennesseeTuxedo":2jnxyoje said:
They say George Patton was a bit difficult to get along with and kinda hard on his troops but he certainly got the job done.

Different scenario. We'd all be speaking German if it hadn't been for him.

Bestoutwest":3mjxkkrg said:
bball":3mjxkkrg said:

There are different ways to hold people to high standard of accountability, I will continue to deem anyone who has a verbal diarrhea tirade as an a-hole WHEN NO ONE'S LITERAL LIFE IS ON THE LINE. The military, healthcare, police, fire, etc. Those are apples-and-oranges different to football. No one will literally die if Alabama loses a game. As an anesthesiologist you mess up, that person the on the table is going to suffer and the head surgeon's license and career are on the line. You're holding the back position in a firefight and you mess up, your buddies might die. Big difference compared with a guy dropping an inflated pigskin.

TennesseeTuxedo":3mjxkkrg said:
They say George Patton was a bit difficult to get along with and kinda hard on his troops but he certainly got the job done.

You clearly do not understand how important football is in Alabama :lol2:
In reality, it's just his communication style. It works for him. And his guys play their hearts out and genuinely seem to love playing for him. With elite athletes (not average, everyday people) clear boundaries and high expectations with 'tough love' and consequences often times delivers the best results. Just the way it is. Right, wrong or whatever. History of successful coaches proves this mentality to be true. It just works. Ahole or not, he is a successful ahole at his career.

As an Auburn alumnus /fan, absolutely despise St Saban. However, I think he is the best coach in college
football. No one seems to have better handle on evaluating and developing talent than him. Hard a**. yes but apparently that is how he lives his life. His approach to the game appears to be the "process". Best I can gather that equates to repetition/repetition/repetition of the basic with only minimal of the finesse work. Will make some tide enemies, but think he may go down as better coach than "The Bear". Bear did great things, but with lots less NCAA restrictions. Bear era Ala had lots "walk on" playing. if someone OK player, not for athletic scholarship, find someone to fund restricted scholarship for said student then he walks on football team, totally legal then. Remember one bowl game Sugar or Orange, late 60's Ala dressed out over 100 players. Like i say I despise this man, but I respect what he has done and how he does it. My first true negative on him was this year when he initially refused a graduate transfer for player to follow Kirby Smart to Ga. If You preach graduation, bite the bullet and live with results.
Was never good at sports, but appears success equals hours and hours of the basics so they are 2nd nature then small amount time executing that particular discipline. Appears to apply to horses, soccer, basketball, football, this appears to be Sabans process.

Bestoutwest":2dlukerh said:
bball":2dlukerh said:

TennesseeTuxedo":2dlukerh said:

Any doubt that Saban would have made a great wartime general? Men would have followed him to he!! and back....just like old George.

Bestoutwest":2gqb9v9i said:
True Grit Farms":2gqb9v9i said:
So your implying that coach Satan should change his style and coaching technique? I think his record speaks for itself. That doesn't make much sense Bestoutwest.
For kids up to high-school maybe, for grown men no way.

When I see a coach like that, that's going crazy over a fumble, I can't help but wonder how much better his team would be if they weren't controlled by fear. Think about training dogs-which training technique works better? Whipping one or praising one? You know that some of those boys aren't much smarter than dogs-they are from Alabama after all. All joking aside, BSU was a joke. Positive coach, HUGE gains on the field.
Both whipping and praising.
Depends on the situation and individuals involved at any given time.
There is no absolute. No set of rules to follow at all times. If there were anybody could read the book and be a Patton or a top coach or anything else.

TennesseeTuxedo":2hp4iy6w said:
Bestoutwest":2hp4iy6w said:
bball":2hp4iy6w said:

TennesseeTuxedo":2hp4iy6w said:

Any doubt that Saban would have made a great wartime general? Men would have followed him to he!! and back....just like old George.
Same for the football players at bama. They love him. And he loves them and his asst. coaches. Just has no tolerance for doing anything halfa$$.

Not really a good point on dog training...you HAVE to use both praise and discipline to get the proper respect from the dog. A fellow dog will attack another dog upon meeting, why? To see who the alpha is. So, you better be the Alpha when push comes to shove....or, bite. Same deal with horses, or humans. We learn best from both praise and negative reinforcement.

The deal with all training is this -- the person, horse, dog, etc. MUST know first and foremost that you have its best interests at heart and truly care for them. Saban, I am sure, ensures every player that he recruits knows first that he(saban) will go through a wall for them, and EXPECTS the same. And, he also ensure they know that if they fail to go through the wall(whatever that may be--block and not hold, stay in the proper position on def. and tackle, etc.) you will get your butt chewed a bit. So, I have had my butt chewed, but deserved it, so I learned from it. I have also chewed a lot of it, when someone deserved it, and the results have been mostly positive.

However, in today's society, we have let "psycologists" that don't actually know anything about the practical application of training, tell us we have to praise everyone, include everyone, and give out ribbons to everyone...no matter the situation or desired outcome. Then when these great, young Americans get to the "real world" they get smacked in the face a little and quit, or claim they are getting treated fairly, or have to work too hard to succeed.

Great coach, with lots of tools at his disposal in assistant coaches and a premier scouting/recruitment program but a great leader does not look for someone else to lay the blame on. Lead by example, accept all the blame and claim none of the credit. As dun's sig used to say- 'Tis a poor craftsman that blames his tools'. The 'head' in head coach means you are fully responsible for every thing that goes wrong, just as a commanding officer is on the battlefield.

If I was making 7 million dollars a year I wouldn't accept mediocrity either. Come to think of it, I'm already halfway there. I just need the 7 million dollar salary.

With that being said, I don't care for Saban. But hands down, he's the best coach in college football.

JMJ Farms":2te4pqz7 said:
If I was making 7 million dollars a year I wouldn't accept mediocrity either. Come to think of it, I'm already halfway there. I just need the 7 million dollar salary.

With that being said, I don't care for Saban. But hands down, he's the best coach in college football.
Amazing how kids are getting in line long before they are HS seniors just hoping to get an offer to play football for Saban.

Not saying Saban isn't a great coach, but it's hard for me to say he's the best considering the history of Alabama football. Same with Urban Meyer at Ohio State. For them to prove to me that they are the greatest current coach, they would have to take a team that hasn't contended in several decades at turn them around. It's a much easier job to turn around a "struggling" Alabama, Ohio State, or Michigan than to go into a doormat program and make them contend for a national title. That would be a great coach. But I understand why that will never happen with the financial commitment a school must make to the program and a top level coach.

ChrisB":38d1tbtf said:
Not saying Saban isn't a great coach, but it's hard for me to say he's the best considering the history of Alabama football. Same with Urban Meyer at Ohio State. For them to prove to me that they are the greatest current coach, they would have to take a team that hasn't contended in several decades at turn them around. It's a much easier job to turn around a "struggling" Alabama, Ohio State, or Michigan than to go into a doormat program and make them contend for a national title. That would be a great coach. But I understand why that will never happen with the financial commitment a school must make to the program and a top level coach.
Don't follow your thinking there. A down program is a down program. Only a few years ago Oregon couldn't win 3 games a year now they consistently win 9 or 10. Nobody had ever heard of Boise State until they beat Oklahoma now they are a winners every year. Some of the great coaches of long ago had great records but then athletes in general were not nearly as talented as those of today. Really good coaches turn out good players and even better citizens.

TexasBred":2k9i9oai said:
ChrisB":2k9i9oai said:
Don't follow your thinking there. A down program is a down program. Only a few years ago Oregon couldn't win 3 games a year now they consistently win 9 or 10. Nobody had ever heard of Boise State until they beat Oklahoma now they are a winners every year. Some of the great coaches of long ago had great records but then athletes in general were not nearly as talented as those of today. Really good coaches turn out good players and even better citizens.

I understand kinda what Chris is saying. Alabama has a reputation for being a top notch football school. Therefore it will naturally attract more star football players than say Duke. Alabama also attracts the best coaches. Put 2 and 2 together and whallah. However, I think Saban could go to Duke or any other program and in a couple of years he would have them in a Bowl game every year. He's just "got what it takes". And I think you could send Philip Fulmer to Alabama and they'd have a losing season. Just my :2cents:

Latest posts