Why are my beef steers trying to escape?

Help Support CattleToday:

Booksmic96

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on why my 2 beef steer keep trying to break out of their pasture? They have 2 acres for the 2 of them, plenty of food, access to shade, their water is constantly full, but every few days they are pushing at the gate and trying (sometimes succeeding) to kick out fences to escape to the rest of the property. I would appreciate any suggestions on why they are doing this or how to make them stop!

Sounds like typical cattle. The grass is always greener on the other side and they are bored. Maybe put up a hot wire on the inside of your existing fence. That should break their bad habit.

Agree with the above. Last time I fed out a steer I gave him a Jolly Ball and some big, empty tubs to play with/knock around and kept him entertained. I also kept a strict feeding schedule so he would look forward to his next meal (aside from grazing) and he was always waiting for me.

My steers, at a certain age, became very interested in females.

If there is other cattle, even steers close by, they are prob trying to get too them, I also agree with others, best thing you can do is train cattle with hot wire to respect fences.

Probably had a weak spot in the fence to start with. Once they figure out that they can escape they will keep trying. As has been stated a good hot wire will generally cure that.

Plus once they find a hole or weak spot, they keep going back to it. Whether the are in a 5 star hotel or not
One line of hot goes a long way, and keeps them from rubbing and scratching fence and posts.

Latest posts