Who's Most Popular

Help Support CattleToday:

MountainFarmChar

Reaction score
Please rank the following breeds by popularity, which do you think you would see the most of as you travel across the United States today.

I have ranked in the order listed:

1) Black Angus
2) Limousin
3) Charolais
4) Simmental
5) Hereford
6) Brangus
7) Gelbvieh

Black Angus
Simmental
Limousin
Hereford
Charolais
Brangus
Gelb

All i see in my area are angus, black and red baldies, herefords, simis and limis and hereford.

angus, angus influenced simmi, angus influenced limo all commonly called black cattle, and then herefords

angus/charolias/ baldies/brangus/ beefmasters some strait herfs. not many strait simms. some limm. breeders alot of heinz 57's of the above breeds

How would we know what we are seeing now that Limousin, Gelbvieh, Simmental, Salers, Maine Anjou, etc are all bred too look like Angus? When I am zooming past a farm I think black commercial cows are 'Angus'. That may or may NOT be the whole story. If I have to rank them I would have to rank them Angus and Angus cross by a wide margin, Charolais and Char cross, Hereford and Herf cross, Brangus, Simmental, complete mongrelization, Red Angus, Texas Longhorn, and then there is everybody else

Brandonm2":14jsj9q8 said:
How would we know what we are seeing now that Limousin, Gelbvieh, Simmental, Salers, Maine Anjou, etc are all bred too look like Angus?
  • When I am zooming past
a farm I think black commercial cows are 'Angus'. That may or may NOT be the whole story. If I have to rank them I would have to rank them Angus and Angus cross by a wide margin, Charolais and Char cross, Hereford and Herf cross, Brangus, Simmental, complete mongrelization, Red Angus, Texas Longhorn, and then there is everybody else
then you gonna have to slow down and see the muscle in those cattle ;-) seriously.. you can tell they got a little more than angus in them. so can the buyer's

Haven't seen the whole US of A so here's how I'd put those seven in my locality:

Black (Angus)
Charlais
Hereford
Limousin
Simmental
Gelpvieh
Brangus

I read something the other day that by registration the numbers go:

off colored Angus
Hereford
Red Angus
Simmenthal

*Cowgirl*":e56zrwq8 said:
regardless of breed:
black
black baldie
red
white

This has to be the most correct answer.
:nod:
Black cattle could be several breeds or a combination of several breeds. The same goes for the baldies, reds and whites.

dun":1liwazpj said:
I read something the other day that by registration the numbers go:

off colored Angus
Hereford
Red Angus
Simmenthal

That sound about right.

Black (due to CAB chasers)
White
Red

In this area you'll see rainbow herds and I admit when the hubby and I put ours together we now have a "rainbow herd" but I did say to him that its okay if he keeps them black heifers, I'll turn their calves into black baldies (and I will too and then I'll get them gold colored calves or "yellows" whichever you prefer to call em from my own cows... now to just find a hereford that has length and a butt......)

ALACOWMAN":t9rzn8fi said:
Brandonm2":t9rzn8fi said:
How would we know what we are seeing now that Limousin, Gelbvieh, Simmental, Salers, Maine Anjou, etc are all bred too look like Angus?
  • When I am zooming past
a farm I think black commercial cows are 'Angus'. That may or may NOT be the whole story. If I have to rank them I would have to rank them Angus and Angus cross by a wide margin, Charolais and Char cross, Hereford and Herf cross, Brangus, Simmental, complete mongrelization, Red Angus, Texas Longhorn, and then there is everybody else
then you gonna have to slow down and see the muscle in those cattle ;-) seriously.. you can tell they got a little more than angus in them. so can the buyer's

I can tell Angus from some kind of commercial Angus cross (usually); but just from looking at a herd (especially from my truck speeding by on cruise control) I won't even guess what else was in those cows. I know I SEE more Limousin crosses, Gelbvieh crosses, Simmental crosses, etc than I think I see. Take Beefmasters for example. If somebody used a beefmaster bull on black Angus cows to produce big black eared commercial cows, I am going to THINK that I am looking at commercial Brangus crosses. I probably won't be able to identify the beef master in that. If somebody uses a composite like Maintainer (Angus x Maine) or Limflex (Angus x Limousin) or Balancer (Angus x Gelbvieh) on high percentage Angus cows you can see they aren't pure (usually); but identifying the source of the taint by looking is mission impossible.

'Completely mongrelized' means a herd that has used so many different bulls (including often their own bulls) over the years that I can't really even accurately guess what is in those cows.

S.R.R.":1ty5utnr said:
Are we ranking by numbers of cattle or publicized popularity?

I didn't think we were counting registration papers sold. Instead I thought he was asking us what we eyeball in our small piece of the real world.

MountainFarmChar":25153syz said:
Please rank the following breeds by popularity, which do you think you would see the most of as you travel across the United States today.

I have ranked in the order listed:

1) Black Angus
2) Limousin
3) Charolais
4) Simmental
5) Hereford
6) Brangus
7) Gelbvieh

U.S.:
Angus
Hereford
Limousin
Charolais
Simmental
Brangus
Gelbvieh

Around here:
Angus by a landslide
Simmental
Hereford
Charolais
Limousin
Gelbvieh
Brangus

I travel the country 6-8 months out of the year. A few years ago I would of said angus. Now I would go with the following:

Cross cattle
Black not necessarily angus
Hereford
Charolais Cross

Gosh... A lot of mixed herds around here... A bit of this, a bit of that but also a significant amount of club cattle so a LOT of Maines and Shorthorns too with a few ChiX cattle too on the bigger operations so it would be hard to really rank.. It probably goes

Black Cattle
Red cattle
Off colored cattle, be that brown, white or grey.

If I didn't KNOW what the critters were in some pastures I would have no idea..Sale barns seem to have a fair number of white calves come through but they must be more than 50 miles from here cause I see very, very few of them..

Latest posts