Who's Most Popular

Help Support CattleToday:

You can sure tell which cattle thrive in this climate!

I'm with Cow Town. Brangus are best here. But I think angus are going by the way side. So I differ with him there.

At the last sale I sat through, no one was buying angus cows. Commercial eared cattle were fetching way more nickels than angus.

backhoeboogie":duvy662z said:
You can sure tell which cattle thrive in this climate!

I'm with Cow Town. Brangus are best here. But I think angus are going by the way side. So I differ with him there.

At the last sale I sat through, no one was buying angus cows. Commercial eared cattle were fetching way more nickels than angus.

In my neck of the woods, I hardly ever leave. Brangus used to be the most popular but now;

Herford w/ear, About half of the total
angus/ear
Every thing else abought equal w/ear

From what I have seen.. around my parts:

Angus (reds or blacks)
Hereford
Brangus
Chars
Limousin
Simm

I agree with the person that said, "How would we know what we are seeing now that Limousin, Gelbvieh, Simmental, Salers, Maine Anjou, etc are all bred too look like Angus?" Why should breed really matter? And did you all know that if an animal is 51% black, they can be considered Angus?

4hgal804":gk7ivuyt said:
And did you all know that if an animal is 51% black, they can be considered Angus?

Wrong. They can qualify for CAB premiums if they are 51% black, but that doesn't make them Angus. They are what they are. Being black doesn't make them Angus.

I've gone three feeder calf auctions the last 3 weeks. Watched about 7500 calves sell. 80% BA/cross, 15% red and 5% everything else.
Up here most all cattle are BA or BA cross. quite a lot of Charolais influence in the angus calves.