who said cows are dumb?

Help Support CattleToday:

hotbarrel

Reaction score
who said cows are dumb??
my cow has now learned how to turn on the light in the barn.
I had questioned my wife and lil girl for leaving on the light in the barn. well last night I was down stairs all night and the light was off at 1:00 and then it was on at 3:00 I know nobody went out. the cow must have pulled the string!!! stupid cow HAHAHA
here is a another quick update. acording to the tape he has gained allmost 100 pounds allready WOW! It looks like he is about 10 to 12 inches taller. he looked prety bony when we got him and now he clearly has filled out well. he is eating 1/2 gallon crimped corn, 1/2 gallon 20% mix, 6 slices of beard twice a day and all the corn stalks he wants. he seemd very healthy, his stool is "free standing" solid and looks very compleatly digested.
we have a red salt lick for him and all the water he wants.
thanks for reading. and thanks for your past advise!
hotbarrel

yes cows can learn how to turn lights on.i know our cows loved turning the water on.an our cows even learned how to hitt the feeder just right an get more feed.

Definitely not dumb. Our cows learned how to let themselves out of the yards. They discovered that if they leant on the handle just right, the gate would open and they could escape. We thought it was our fault the first time until we caught them in the act.

I take insult when cattle are called dumb. I always think of all the times I was out smarted. :dunce:

Yes cows can be smart and idiots too.
Cattlehand didn't "listen" to my horse one day when pushing cows and got outsmarted by the cows. Horse was smarter then me that day. :oops:

CattleHand":4zbazviv said:
I take insult when cattle are called dumb. I always think of all the times I was out smarted. :dunce:

Just think of it as out dumbing the cows.

baxter78":v8g786i8 said:
Was watering the heifers I have up here recently and a bull calf had some how inadvertantly or on purpose got wrapped up in it and water was spraying this way and that. The calves were jumping around and playing and trying to head but the water. It sure was funny.
Too bad you didn't video that.........priceless

My husband and I were in bed one night and I heard the door bell ring. Thinking it was some kind of emergency I threw on my robe and kept hollering just a minute! And the darn thing would ring again! Finally got to the door and found the bottle calves staring at me. We really got a good laugh from that.
jwj

jwhisperj":2t3k4tyn said:
My husband and I were in bed one night and I heard the door bell ring. Thinking it was some kind of emergency I threw on my robe and kept hollering just a minute! And the darn thing would ring again! Finally got to the door and found the bottle calves staring at me. We really got a good laugh from that.
jwj

Who, the calves or you? ;-)

BTW, thanks you made my day! :lol2: :D

grannysoo":3o7ntjtg said:
They are not dumb, however they can be idiots! :dunce:

Generally speaking, the idiocy factor can usually be traced back to the owner(s) and their handling. Granted, intelligence is not equally distributed between all cows but, if the owner has any clue about bovine intellect, he or she can generally successfully handle even the dullest tool in the shed. Seen it happen too many times to not believe it.

msscamp":dqoplyud said:
grannysoo":dqoplyud said:

Generally speaking, the idiocy factor can usually be traced back to the owner(s) and their handling. Granted, intelligence is not equally distributed between all cows but, if the owner has any clue about bovine intellect, he or she can generally successfully handle even the dullest tool in the shed. Seen it happen too many times to not believe it.

It dopesn;t matter if you have 5 or 500, there is always one that doesn;t get the word. No matter how many times they've been through the drill and that all of the others do exactly what's wanted, there is that one that takes off in the other direction or misses the gate, or just stands there and stares at the others like they;ve never seen it done before.

dun":gafybkpi said:
msscamp":gafybkpi said:
grannysoo":gafybkpi said:

It dopesn;t matter if you have 5 or 500, there is always one that doesn;t get the word. No matter how many times they've been through the drill and that all of the others do exactly what's wanted, there is that one that takes off in the other direction or misses the gate, or just stands there and stares at the others like they;ve never seen it done before.

Exactly why I used the term "generally speaking". :lol:

Latest posts