Who on the boards run stocker cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

I just have read on this site and others that turning new cattle out to an open pasture right off the bat could be disastrous. I do have a 5 wire barb wire surrounding the pasture but no electric. I think what you are trying to tell me is that pre-conditioned cattle may be easier to handle and I should not need a pen to hold them for a few days before they settle down. I was planing on having hay and water available in the pen.

Yup--- thats the joy of preconditioned calves-- they are turned out together and happy to be together- gave up looking for Mom a long time ago- they are broke to a fence already(need to be away from Mom and on their own before they are truely fence broke)- so unless there is a hole in the fence or there are cattle on the other side tempting them to try the fence they should stay in most decent fences.

Cattle being cattle............
If(and or when :) ) they do get out-- it will more than likely be most of the group going thru a hole-- instead of one or two jumping or slipping out. So they are easier to find(more than likely will settle down close-unlike one or two) - and easier to put back as they will move as a group and are used to being handled.

Also-- most preconditoners will tell you which calves are just plain trouble- and you can sell them before they ever set foot on your place . Best money you can risk looseing :)
All it takes is just one idiot to keep the whole group riled up. Riled up cattle don't eat or convert as well--

IMHO, it is a good a idea to pen them for a few days.

I have tried this. I bought ten head of cattle that were preconditioned two years ago. I let them go in the open field to join 10 others that I had previoulsly purchased. I opened the trailer door and they ran straight for the other cattle. The problem began as they passed the ten previously purchased cattle and proceeded to plow through four strands of barbed wire with the greatest of ease. Of course, the ten previous purchased cattle followed right behind them.

Then the runaways plowed through my neighbors barbed wire fence releaseing his horses.

Then the runaways plowed through my other neighbors barbed wire fence which freed 50 head of cows and calves.

I was not well liked.

I did get them all back but one.

Last we saw she was heading south April 2004.

She could be in Florida by now Cracker.

If anyone has seen here please pm me.

I do share fences with a 1000 ac. rancher which has a lot of cows so I guess that could be a problem since we are always finding 1 or 2 of his cows on our property about once a month.

Cow/calf mostly. Only finish out 10 or so a year for some of my old freezer beef Costumers.

Central Fl Cracker":3dexm22v said:
I just have read on this site and others that turning new cattle out to an open pasture right off the bat could be disastrous. I do have a 5 wire barb wire surrounding the pasture but no electric. I think what you are trying to tell me is that pre-conditioned cattle may be easier to handle and I should not need a pen to hold them for a few days before they settle down. I was planing on having hay and water available in the pen.

Put up electric, if you are doing rotational... you will find they get used to easy pickings when put into a new pasture, and as soon as they have to work for it a bit, they will start pushing on your fences.... save the fences and your labor efforts electric fence is quite economical.

Also, the pen holding I think bcox was telling you about was more of a quarantine.... protect your cattle already in the field, and able to watch and treat if necessary if anything develops in the new cattle. I tend to lean to 2 to 3 weeks, depending on the time of year and disposition... just remember what could be caught at the sale barns.... kinda like taking your kid to the doc's.... if he wasn't sick when he got there, he will be by the time you leave! ;-)

Central Fl Cracker":1rhj4o38 said:
Bama
I agree it is better to chase what makes the most money but I do not have the time for a cow/calf operation.
A couple of questions bor you and bcox.

1. What weight do you normally target when you are buying.
When I buy I look for the deals. I may buy some at 150 if they are cheap enough. I don't have time to bottle feed. I will get them on grain and pour some milk replacer over it. I don't do this often and they have to be really cheap for me to buy one this light. I mostly buy anywhere from 200 - 500. Again if I can get them at the right price. I make more money on them at purchase price than any other thing I do. I takes a while to learn which ones you can make money on and which ones you will loose on.

2. Do you buy preconditioned heifers.
I buy whatever I can make a dollar on. Most of the time I get them at the salebarn and have no idea where they came from. Some of them may have came from many states away.

3. What is your target weight when you go to sell
I like to sell at 600-700. I will talk to some of the buyers and ask them what they want. I try to fit their needs. If they want a 300 pounder or a 1000 pounder I try to have something ready for them.

4. What size of holding pen do you use
I have 4 holding pens. 2 are 100 x 100 and 2 are 100 x 200.

5. How long do you keep them in the holding pen before you turn them out to pasture
out of the trailer they go through the chute and are dewormed and vacinated. The small ones go into a covered barn with stalls for 3 days. While there I watch for problems with starting on grain and such. After this 3 days they go into a small lot for about a month. The larger ones go strait into a small lot after being worked.
6. What's the best breed for stockers
I have all of the three major breeds. The three major breeds are black uns, red uns, and white uns. Again its the purchase price and what I think I can turn on them that counts.

one imporant thing - a person stands to loose if they don't purchase at the right price. I takes a while to learn which one's to buy and which ones to pass up. This is probally one of the most risky ways of doing things. But it can have some of the biggest rewards. I don't always buy the best, most of the time I don't. I buy what I can make the most out of. Grass is cheaper than grain. I put them on grass as soon as they are ready. Before they are marketed they go back to the feedbunks if thats what the buyers are looking for. If I not targeting a certain buyer or pre conditioning them, I may sell them staright off the grass. Preconditioning cost extra and you need an outlet that will pay extra. You need a demand for the supply you are offering. Trick is to stay ahead of the game and be ready.

Sorry about so many questions but I am still learning.

Bama
I did not care for you since Alabama always figures out how to beat the Gators year after year. :lol: But you have been very helpful on how to buy cattle so I forgive you being from Alabama.
P.S. I built quite of few jobs in Alabama 2 in Auburn and one in Tuskegee which I was the only white guy in Tuskegee. One of my best friends is from Coleman. Alabama. and raises chickens.

Latest posts