Who is without cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
After reading one of Chrisy post I starting wondering how many folks on CT do not or haven't had cattle in recent years. Also I know you folks in the south are worried half to death about selling out, so my apologies if this thread touches a nerve, it's not meant directed at folks battling Ma nature.

Chrisy has stated she has no cattle and I'm fairly sure Peg4x4 doesn't (haven't seen her post hope she's doing okay). Any others? And yes I love to read Chrisy's post, I feel all folks, cattle or not, are welcome to the CT family.

Alan

As a final note I know that most after seeing my cattle feel I don't own any either :lol:

Still have a few left. Cut right deep last week. Going to try and hang on though.
Weather is kicking me pretty hard here also. Nothing compared to the folks in Texas. I truly feel for those in that situation. We've had .16" in the last month with unsually high temps. Raining all around me. Guess I'm not living right.
I've read a lot on here over the years and often wondered the same thing about the cattle.

fitz

I don't have any of my own yet. I work for someone who does. Hopefully that's what I'm working for because I don't get a paycheck from them. I have been around cattle most of my life but never had any that were mine.

I sure wish my neighbor didn't have any right now ; what a pos :mad:

Btw I can empathize to all selling due to drought, sold 75% of the herd in 2009 because of that. Am slowly working my numbers back up again, it broke my heart to sell the girls and what was even worse was that alot of young heavy breds sold for cull and culls prices were 30 cents a pound . :(

I don't have cattle of my own,but have the full responsibility of a little over 100 head.When I retired 6 yrs ago I moved here on the ranch and the owner was gone out of state.So I started buying cattle.
Now it's turned into a full time job instead of part time.
The best part about it is I am responsible for all the labor and he has the money end.
I might add I love taking care of the cattle,and it's a pretty good addition to my retirement pay.

Cal

I gave it up a couple of years ago when I absolutely ran out of hay and could not find anymore. Loved doing the cattle thing more than anything I have ever done, but you have to do what you have to do.

Most of the folks that have been around awhile already know this, but I've never owned a head of cattle in my life. While I've had some recent experiences helping a friend with his, most of my experience goes back to roughly 30-40 years ago, and most of that was dairy. A lot has changed since then.

I only recall it being a problem for one person and they were a troublemaker to begin with who was banned quite awhile ago. I seldom, if ever, give advice on cattle issues as I don't feel I'm qualified but I'm not shy about giving my opinion from time to time. I like to think that some of you might welcome a point of view from outside the cattle industry from someone that might see things a little differently. If not, well, that's too bad. ;-)

I have no cattle at the moment, grew up with cattle and had my own from an early age and through collage etc. Had to sell out due to BSE in 98. Was buying back into the herd I was managing here but they have been sold this spring. Stupid me thought that I showed a profit and showed the bulls I would get the herd back to where it should have been. Not easy to make money when the owner turns out to finance yearlings pre weaning to buy his wife a BMW suv!!.

O well, out of that now, looking for my own place to buy, then only have the bank to get in the way, and mother nature,

Tried the desk based job, but prefere working stock, rather be fit, happy and cash poor than unfit and playing corporate politics

1wlimo":3fuxr1wt said:
I have no cattle at the moment, grew up with cattle and had my own from an early age and through collage etc. Had to sell out due to BSE in 98. Was buying back into the herd I was managing here but they have been sold this spring. Stupid me thought that I showed a profit and showed the bulls I would get the herd back to where it should have been. Not easy to make money when the owner turns out to finance yearlings pre weaning to buy his wife a BMW suv!!.

O well, out of that now, looking for my own place to buy, then only have the bank to get in the way, and mother nature,

Tried the desk based job, but prefere working stock, rather be fit, happy and cash poor than unfit and playing corporate politics

We had a business partner like that too wl ,finally convinced my husband that we should walk away and start over while we were young enough to do it. Sometimes no matter how hard you work ,there are people in this world that you will always end up on the wrong side of the bale.

3bulls and 1 cow left, so ya i am out of the biz.I had hung on to the bulls with the idea of getting back in come fall, but with this drought that plan may not be workable. This is the first time in 35 years that I havent had a pasture or pastures full of cattle. It seems strange but I am getting used to it. Started and finished projects that I have been putting off for years. If it will ever cool off some I am gonna wet a hook.

Starting to wonder with the price of imputs if, I will get back in the cattle biz. I think that question is being pondered by a bunch of us in Texas. Pretty sure when my parents are gone I will sell their land and mine and move to Lake Livingston. Have four acres on the water by Chalk Bluff.. Just enough for a garden, feeder calf and some chickens...mixed with all those flatheads I am gonna catch. Country boy will survive....Maybe then I will tell you folks what I have done for a living all these years, some of you are gonna get quite a chuckle!

I almost lost 30 head this week ..I didn't check the creek for about a week... and when I did it was dry .. one little hole about 20 feet on the other side of the pipe fence ... I had to cut the fence .. luckily I have a neighbour who had 200 acres that has a well and he was nice enough to let me use the place... man I guess I need to be more carefull...

JSCATTLE":1ss7tqob said:
I almost lost 30 head this week ..I didn't check the creek for about a week... and when I did it was dry .. one little hole about 20 feet on the other side of the pipe fence ... I had to cut the fence .. luckily I have a neighbour who had 200 acres that has a well and he was nice enough to let me use the place... man I guess I need to be more carefull...
That'll make ya sick just thinking about what could have happened.

We were in the process of selling a trailor load every week until it rained. It has started raining tonight we have about 60% of what we did have. Will still have to sell more will wait a little while now. No hay and none to buy and feeding hay now.

I had owned cattle of my own since I was 13. I am 27 and sold my half of the partnership I was in with my dad back to him at the end of last year. Like another poster said earlier, you have to do what you have to do. I got married last year and have a job in construction that is 30 miles from where the herd was. Just wasn't enough time in a day to be able to pull my share of the weight. With the drought now and due to other circumstances in life my dad is down to around 10 head..... Was roughly 75 head at one point.

I hope someday I have the finances to acquire land and get back into the business as it is where my heart is.

Down to 60 cows had to sell because of drought last year.This year is wetest can remember in a decade or more now have lots of pasture so what cow are left are doing super, hay is just average lots of winter kill from being over grazed for a year or two. Have 20 heifers kept back to get bred hope to be able to buy some back this fall.Crops look super oats is 4ft tall and barley looks like it might run 100 bu if the hail and frost stays away.Will post pics if get time one day.

Man, I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't have moderate control over the amount of water my land gets.. we'd hardly ever get a cut of hay here, and I really don't like the idea of being forced to sell my known cows to get unknown back later

I know that the cost of shipping would probably make it unaffordable, but would there be any possibility for you folk in texas and area to ship your cows off for a year (the host gets a year's calves from them) and you get them back when your conditions improve?

Latest posts