Who do you have for internet service?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
My internet service at home sucks and is slow as all get out. If I try to watch a youtube video I will be there a while so I just watch on my cell phone. I know alot of us live way out in the sticks so what do yall use to get a decent internet speed? What satellite company do yall use? My kids got a tablet for xmas and we got them netflix and they can only use it when they are at my office 45 mins away from home. :help:

I have Verizon wireless. Most of the time it works ok but like all others will have spells when it too is pretty darn slow.

I had it through our phone company verizon it was horrible.. Looks like my choices are Verizon or Direct Tv here so I just called they said they guarantee there internet is faster... hmm... I guess I will give those guys a try.

We live pretty far out in the sticks to the point where we have no cell service in the house. You can drive up the hill and have full bars on the phone, but not in the house... With that said, we are limited to Hughes Net (you may have seen them advertised on RFDTV). The service works but it can be very slow at times!

Better then nothing I guess!!

melking":1nh9p2rm said:
I have Wild Blue Satellite and I find it to be satisfactory.

Same here. I tried to get Wild Blue directly from/through Wild Blue but they wouldn't allow me to do so. I had to go through a 'carrier' so we have Wild Blue through Dish Network.

I find it to be waaayyyy better than the dial-up we used to have.

I would prefer DSL or Broadband, but the closest DSL cable is just over a mile away on another road and there are no Broadband sources anywhere near here. As for using a 'hotspot' through our cell service, we don't have enough/reliable cell service where we are.

Katherine

We use the Verizon "mi-fi" device. Had it for several years, it's fast enough and been very reliable.
They have a new gizmo now that mounts outside on your house and supposed to be much faster. Haven't switched to it because...well...we're cheap. Trying to get a new house built so living frugal til enough is saved.

Our only other option for internet is a satellite system and they are more expensive, don't want another dish tacked on the house, and heard bad things about the service. We are only 3 miles from DSL service but United Telephone turned Sprint turned Embarq turned CenturyLink won't extend the service out here.

Wireless Broadband. It's a radio link off local water towers. Pretty good, sometimes. Pretty crappy when it rains. A world better than the "dial up" I used to have.

Verizon wireless using a Samsung SCH LC11 mobile hotspot card, which pulls the 4G signal off a cell phone tower.
verizon-samsung.jpg

5Gb plan for about $40/mo. I can watch any youtube video with very little buffering, and turns the house into a wifi hotspot. We run laptops from 2 different rooms off it as well as our Blu-ray device for the TV and netflix movies.
But, it was crappy service because we are on the fringe area of signal reception from the nearest tower untill we installed a little cellphone antenna and amplifier from Gibson. The ant and amp also boosted our cell ph sig so that we get a great sig inside our house where before we usually had to walk outside to even use the cell phones. It ain't cheap, but it's a one time expenditure.
ant and amp

9522493_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

Note: speed shows to be ~ 54 Mbs connection. Not blazing fast but much better than 56kb dialup speed.
Streaming video (netflix) thru the bluray will eat up a LOT of data really quickly using this type hotspot card. DSL would be much much better but there are no fiber optic lines in my area and no cable lines either.
It's this or Hughesnet sat dish and that would mean we wouldn't have mobility for our laptops.

greybeard":njed8hgk said:
DSL would be much much better but there are no fiber optic lines in my area and no cable lines either.
No fiber here either, it runs sandwiched with voice over regular copper.

You would think in jersey that I would have cable or fiber. Nope none of the above. Cant even get a fax the lines are so old. We use ATT for our tablet and cell phones and a wireless card from Verizon for the laptop. SKY the tablet and cell use the same towers and a wireless card will use different towers. Thats why we have different carriers for different things so maybe try that. At least thats what I was told.

dun":2owlpaar said:
greybeard":2owlpaar said:
DSL would be much much better but there are no fiber optic lines in my area and no cable lines either.
No fiber here either, it runs sandwiched with voice over regular copper.

That was what ATT told me the reason was.
"you'll never have DSL here" was the att engineer's exact words when they came out to see about running my original phone line.
No one within miles of me has DSL.

If I was getting 28kbs on my dialup, I will be surprised. I could make a post on a forum, click 'submit', get a cup of coffee and sit on the porch and finish a smoke before it was posted and the page refreshed.

greybeard":20a63hx1 said:
Verizon wireless using a Samsung SCH LC11 mobile hotspot card, which pulls the 4G signal off a cell phone tower.
verizon-samsung.jpg

5Gb plan for about $40/mo. I can watch any youtube video with very little buffering, and turns the house into a wifi hotspot. We run laptops from 2 different rooms off it as well as our Blu-ray device for the TV and netflix movies.
But, it was crappy service because we are on the fringe area of signal reception from the nearest tower untill we installed a little cellphone antenna and amplifier from Gibson. The ant and amp also boosted our cell ph sig so that we get a great sig inside our house where before we usually had to walk outside to even use the cell phones. It ain't cheap, but it's a one time expenditure.
ant and amp

9522493_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

Note: speed shows to be ~ 54 Mbs connection. Not blazing fast but much better than 56kb dialup speed.
Streaming video (netflix) thru the bluray will eat up a LOT of data really quickly using this type hotspot card. DSL would be much much better but there are no fiber optic lines in my area and no cable lines either.
It's this or Hughesnet sat dish and that would mean we wouldn't have mobility for our laptops.

GB I am gonna check on that hot spot direct tv said its hughes net here and that doesn't work since all our cell phones are Verizon wireless maybe they can tell me if there is an unlimited plan.

Hughesnet here, works off of a dish. My sister about 8 miles up the road from me has it and it works pretty good, but it is fairly expensive as well. I do not know what data plan she has but her husband gets up in the morning and watches gardening vids and by the time sis gets u, they've used up their daily cap and their connection slows way way down till the next day. Doesn't bother her since all she does is read news and email anyway.

I suspect Sky, that being as close to DC as you are, you will have a lot more options than I did. Look around good before choosing. I HAD to have something with mobility since my wife goes back and forth to school and the school requires a high speed connection to access their server.

46.6 kbs from the phone company on dialup here. Yes, as soon as I hit the submit button I'm going to get a cup of coffee.

I could have DSL, but I'm too cheap to pay the higher bill. Telephone company is going to put in new lines again and add cable TV. My resolve for dialup and antenna TV might weaken. Still not biting on XM radio yet either!

shadyhollownj":5e2mpotu said:
You would think in jersey that I would have cable or fiber. Nope none of the above. Cant even get a fax the lines are so old. We use ATT for our tablet and cell phones and a wireless card from Verizon for the laptop. SKY the tablet and cell use the same towers and a wireless card will use different towers. Thats why we have different carriers for different things so maybe try that. At least thats what I was told.

Thanks for the info shady sorry I missed this post

Latest posts