Who can guess what did this

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7":147cjfjl said:
Haven steel, Haven, Ks is the Mfg for most oem blades
They are a high carbon blade and bend instead of break

Lots of people swear by Deere or CIH and etc
Most don't realize that they don't Mfg sweeps, disc, cutter parts
They have then Mfg'd stamped with their name on them

We received a load of disc one time that was stamped Great Plains and had to return them but I hear some guys swear the Great Plains disc are better than mine :D
I think you have that backwards from just a carbon steel stance. Hi carbon steel is workable for forming, but once it's heat treated, it still has some 'springiness' to it, returns to it's original shape, but will break long before you can bend it to a 90.
Mild and low carbon steel, you can bend to a 90 most of the time without it breaking. Low carbon steel is mostly used for structural steel--beams and plate, where you want some give to it and not brittleness.

I've broken several bushog blades not long after I had this place logged, all broke where the mount hole is. Bent only one, on a real cheap 4' Howse mower and that was while driving along with the pto off. Blade just happened to hit a stump square on the end and bent it down about like the one in her picture.

Im with grey. I've hit posts (wood and steel), pipe, propane tanks, stumps, logs, deer, rocks, water wells, and probably some more stuff I cant remember. All of them broke the blade, some smoked the clutch in the driveline, some broke gear boxes.... none bent the blade. Its not uncommon to have chunks busted out when we change ours.

That would worry me because a blade like that could bend little by little over time. Just think if it would have bent up in to the deck. :shock: Can't believe some thing else didn't give.

Higher carbon than mild steel for wear and as you said with spring/ bend but no boron in it to make it brittle
Fine line between wear hardness and brittle. Too soft it won't wear
Too hard and it'll snap

We can hard surface tillage that'll make them last 3 times as long , but hit rock or anything hard and it'll snap off

cowgirl8":1k2gxgq5 said:
Here's what did it....He was shredding near a place he had cut down small trees. Bois D'arc..He had used his cutter thing that saws it off at the ground. He said the stump was ground level and he was cutting high...So, it hit a ground level bois d'arc stump somehow...he said it was a small stump too. Bush Hog 2720....hope they are putting cheap blades on their shredders....This guy has shredded a lot with no problems......I shredded the pasture around our house last week.. Husband told me i cut too short. Told him i wanted to level the fire ant hills out...lol and in my opinion it was not too short, its just right.

You guys have a sawmill then you might saw yourself some blades from the Bois D'arc (same as bodark or hedge apple) They might hold up better than the cheap blades that bend.

cowgirl8":2l9dcrj4 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2l9dcrj4 said:
You hit a rock.
I find it weird, but we have no natural rocks where i live..I dont care how deep or how hard you look, no rocks. We do have land markers, but it wasnt that either..
One of our son in laws owns a equipment dealership. He's never seen a blade this size bend like this...and he's been in the business all his life. Break yes, but not bend..
That's more than weird, its unnatural. What if you needed a rock to throw at a bull? Do you have to carry some in your pocket? :banana:

kenny thomas":28jwmq4j said:
cowgirl8":28jwmq4j said:
TennesseeTuxedo":28jwmq4j said:
You hit a rock.
I find it weird, but we have no natural rocks where i live..I dont care how deep or how hard you look, no rocks. We do have land markers, but it wasnt that either..
One of our son in laws owns a equipment dealership. He's never seen a blade this size bend like this...and he's been in the business all his life. Break yes, but not bend..
That's more than weird, its unnatural. What if you needed a rock to throw at a bull? Do you have to carry some in your pocket? :banana:
I know right.and when i say no rocks, not even grit. Our soil is like powder and under that a clay, like as if you opened a bag of modeling clay.....At least we do have trees. There are a variety of stick, clunks and logs one can pick up and throw. You just have to kick over anything of size to clear off the black widows, snakes and fire ants... There are a few full sized petrified cow patties too, if you're needing something to throw..
If you do come across a rock out here, it was brought in by indians. I have a cool stone used for grinding. It was used so much, it has a hand print worn into it. Husband was plowing the fire lanes and it just popped up. If i get around to it, i'll post a picture of it.

Brute 23":38ivz1ju said:
Im with grey. I've hit posts (wood and steel), pipe, propane tanks, stumps, logs, deer, rocks, water wells, and probably some more stuff I cant remember. All of them broke the blade, some smoked the clutch in the driveline, some broke gear boxes.... none bent the blade. Its not uncommon to have chunks busted out when we change ours.

That would worry me because a blade like that could bend little by little over time. Just think if it would have bent up in to the deck. :shock: Can't believe some thing else didn't give.

We went by the spot he said it happened. Its where he cleared trees years ago. I asked him, did it kill your tractor, he said, "No thats why shredders have clutches." I asked, "Did the shredder jumped all over the place?" he said, "It was shooting out sparks where it was hitting the stump jumper...and vibrating really bad."
I used this shredder the day before and took it though a gate. I always check the blades when i have it up..Blades on wings were straight as an arrow...Any damage i have ever seen has been wear. Luckily, i've never used it when a blade breaks, i think that would stress me out afterwards worrying to be more careful as to what i go over....like i dont already anyway..lol

I think that the blade either stuck in the stump or under it and when the wing was picked up to clear the blade bent.

kenny thomas":jyxdxla1 said:
cowgirl8":jyxdxla1 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":jyxdxla1 said:
You hit a rock.
May be unnatural but definitely occurs. Some of the blackland areas won't have a rock for a hundred mile. Just coal black soil.

True Grit Farms":glpf07ff said:
hurleyjd":glpf07ff said:
I think that the blade either stuck in the stump or under it and when the wing was picked up to clear the blade bent.

I can agree to that.
No, he did not stop or raise the wing... It did not kill the tractor, so blades were running after it ran over it....Thats why its weird....

cowgirl8":3e5asr4q said:
True Grit Farms":3e5asr4q said:
hurleyjd":3e5asr4q said:

I can agree to that.
No, he did not stop or raise the wing... It did not kill the tractor, so blades were running after it ran over it....Thats why its weird....

And you know this how? I've done the same thing a few times to rotary mower blades. You can believe what you want cowgirl, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

True Grit Farms":2ux7n36n said:
And you know this how? I've done the same thing a few times to rotary mower blades. You can believe what you want cowgirl, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

There is absolutely no reason for my husband to tell me anything other than what happened... It happened the way he told me and the way i relayed it, thats why i posted a picture of the blade and asked for guesses.......because its weird.

Can't imagine no rocks. I'm in Rockbridge county, in Va. Natural Bridge is what we are named for, but there are more rocks than you can "throw a stick at" haha. Ledges, big rock outcroppings, you name it. Bushhogging- what I assume you call shredding, can be a real trial. My son sets it real high, puts the spacers on the cylinder and gets really mad if I drop it any even though I think it should be down a little more. I won't do the real rocky places, tell him that I am not gonna get blamed for tearing the equipment up.

farmerjan":1kov91h2 said:
Can't imagine no rocks. I'm in Rockbridge county, in Va. Natural Bridge is what we are named for, but there are more rocks than you can "throw a stick at" haha. Ledges, big rock outcroppings, you name it. Bushhogging- what I assume you call shredding, can be a real trial. My son sets it real high, puts the spacers on the cylinder and gets really mad if I drop it any even though I think it should be down a little more. I won't do the real rocky places, tell him that I am not gonna get blamed for tearing the equipment up.
It was after a few years living here that i realized there were no rocks. Its not something that one looks for all the time, but when you need one you need one. We do have rocks on the roads that have been put there. No rocks does make it nice for putting in fences, digging holes by hand and mowing..

The only explanation i can come with as to how this blade bent is, the blade went in straight on the end as the blade was pointed forward. I'm guessing husband was in B2, maybe B3, and although the mower never stopped, the blade hit the stump and bent from the forward motion in a split second.. The question is why it didnt break, so weird.

Uri Geller bent it using psychokinesis. He used to bend spoons and forks like that all the time. No reason he couldn't do it to a lawnmower blade.

Latest posts