Who can guess what did this

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
I do know....but i'd like to hear what you'd think you would have to hit to bend this shredder blade. I set some paper towels next to it so you can see the size of the blade. Its off our 20 ft shredder and we were shredding pasture and by fences..and no, not a fence post or H section...

Luckily it wasnt me running the shredder or it would have been blamed on a girl running the equipment...although, i believe husband when he said it was unavoidable and shocking.....

I don't know but based on that blade I'm surprised it didn't tear up the driveline or gearbox too

Cross-7":3rdpycdi said:
I don't know but based on that blade I'm surprised it didn't tear up the driveline or gearbox too
Exactly....but it didnt...

callmefence":10erp626 said:
A cougar???

Speaking of cougar, Tuff Butt is doing well. Not growing very good, but he's so sweet. Again it shocks me that he got over such a devastating injury. He's scarred pretty badly, but has too much angus hair to see it...Next year he may shed off better to see what kind of scarring he has... SIL is having knee replacement surgery so, he'll have to stay here over the winter....

Dam I'm sorry I couldn't resist... :D

Someone got excited when they hit something and raised the mower while it was still rotating. I've done the same thing with a tree cutter and snapped the blade clean off.

TennesseeTuxedo":2s5ae93g said:
You hit a rock.
I find it weird, but we have no natural rocks where i live..I dont care how deep or how hard you look, no rocks. We do have land markers, but it wasnt that either..
One of our son in laws owns a equipment dealership. He's never seen a blade this size bend like this...and he's been in the business all his life. Break yes, but not bend..

Probably didn't hit anything. Ran the the shredder off the edge of the concrete driveway and the weight plus the sudden fall bent the blade as it hit the concrete.

cowgirl8":3cjx5nke said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3cjx5nke said:
You hit a rock.
I find it weird, but we have no natural rocks where i live..I dont care how deep or how hard you look, no rocks. We do have land markers, but it wasnt that either..
One of our son in laws owns a equipment dealership. He's never seen a blade this size bend like this...and he's been in the business all his life. Break yes, but not bend..

Want some?

My guess is it got hung on some thing while driving... not actually shredding. I am curious also why it did not break only bend? I could see if like a rear wheel broke off and it stuck in the ground... you might could fold it like that with out breaking it.

I suspect a defect in the manufacturing process or the tempering part of it anyway--or just cheap imported steel was used.

Here's what did it....He was shredding near a place he had cut down small trees. Bois D'arc..He had used his cutter thing that saws it off at the ground. He said the stump was ground level and he was cutting high...So, it hit a ground level bois d'arc stump somehow...he said it was a small stump too. Bush Hog 2720....hope they are putting cheap blades on their shredders....This guy has shredded a lot with no problems......I shredded the pasture around our house last week.. Husband told me i cut too short. Told him i wanted to level the fire ant hills out...lol and in my opinion it was not too short, its just right.

Haven steel, Haven, Ks is the Mfg for most oem blades
They are a high carbon blade and bend instead of break

Lots of people swear by Deere or CIH and etc
Most don't realize that they don't Mfg sweeps, disc, cutter parts
They have then Mfg'd stamped with their name on them

We received a load of disc one time that was stamped Great Plains and had to return them but I hear some guys swear the Great Plains disc are better than mine :D

Latest posts