White on newborn calf was yellow-orange.

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiobeef

Reaction score
We had two Reg. Hereford cows calve today. one is so pretty with clean white against her brown. The 2nd came out brown & yellow- orange. Some of it seems to be coming off as the cow licks her, but the white looks stained. What might have caused this ? :???: seems ok otherwise.

Uaually a prolonged birth. It;s meconium, will come clean shortly.

It doesn't necessarily mean anything though. I have a whole family whose birth fluids are always a horrible khaki green. The first time I saw it coming out, I thought the calf must have died before birth, but that one and all those since have been perfectly healthy.

it's not necessarily meconium, it could be yolk too... yes, yolk... they do have a yolk sac, and it's well.. egg yolk yellow, I believe meconium would be brownish (and i've never seen it ON a calf)

Edit: I think you see it more if they're born a little early

Meconium is black or dark brown, the yellow stuff comes later. I've heard that the yellow afterbirth stain comes from selenium deficiency sometimes but don't know if there is anything to that.

OMG you guys, it's meconium staining. Yes, meconium is brown, but mix it with fluids and it is yellow. Trust me. And if you can't take my word for it, trust Dun.

As for the yolk sac... yes, mammals have a yolk sac. In mammals it contains no yolk (as in a chicken, and the only reason to eat eggs as far as I'm concerned), but acts as an organ that produces the first blood of an embryo. In cattle it regresses and no remnant is left by day 70.

thanks for the answers, she looks alot better now. :tiphat: Her mom can drive you crazy though, she moos every 15-30 seconds after she calves. she did this with the last 2 as well. it's not lasting quite as long today as last year though. :p

Latest posts