White Clover Question

Help Support CattleToday:

BC":1ly1yju0 said:
HerefordSire":1ly1yju0 said:
6% for innoculant...if unnecessary it is definitely not worth the expense....it is like our county sales tax of 8.25%. Who wants to pay sales taxes when it is hard enough to make a living ranching the way it is? I never heard it generates N. I am sure if you plant the clover by itself it will generate N, if it grows. My understanding of an innoculant is it puts fungus in the same area and allows the growth to thrive if the variety has not been planted in the same area before, such that the fungus is not existant where it is being planted.

This is from http://aggieclover.tamu.edu site under selection - inocculation.
"Clovers are only able to use nitrogen from the air if specific strains of Rhizobium bacteria are present in nodules on their roots. To ensure that the best strain of Rhizobium bacteria is present for each clover species, inoculant is applied to the clover seed before planting (inoculation process). Inoculant is finely ground peat moss which acts as a carrier for the Rhizobium bacteria. Inoculants which also include an adhesive to hold the inoculant to the seed and aid in keeping the bacteria alive in dry soil are superior to inoculants without an adhesive. Good clover seed inoculation is especially important the first time a clover species is planted in a new area. Preinoculated seed of most clover species can be purchased".
Sorry I posted the wrong site. Here is the right one.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AG152

Inoculants were developed in the late 1800's. Did not work well. Were further developed and basically perfected in the early 1900's. They are worth using. I use old coke as a sticker, it takes very little. The added sugar will also help feed the soil microbes. Check your prices. I paid 90.00 per 50# for crimson, and was kind of sick over it. A few years ago you could get it for around 40.00. The inoculant was 4.00.

The last back of pre-inoculated red clover I bought weighed around 75 lbs and was only about 10 bucks more then to 50 lbs bags of non-inoculated.

Bluestem":3orzyqu3 said:
Inoculants were developed in the late 1800's. Did not work well. Were further developed and basically perfected in the early 1900's. They are worth using. I use old coke as a sticker, it takes very little. The added sugar will also help feed the soil microbes. Check your prices. I paid 90.00 per 50# for crimson, and was kind of sick over it. A few years ago you could get it for around 40.00. The inoculant was 4.00.

Thanks, I will do some more shopping around. Maybe the prices are just better in Texas. At those differences in price it might be worth taking a road trip.

dun":1vti0hoi said:
The last back of pre-inoculated red clover I bought weighed around 75 lbs and was only about 10 bucks more then to 50 lbs bags of non-inoculated.
I'm finding great disparities in price from place to place around here. Same goes for feed. I'm wondering if people are just locked into buying from their local feed store like myself. Clearly it pays to shop around.

Prices I recently paid:
Dixie Crimson pre-inoculated 50lb 95%germ $95. (15lb/ac recommended)
Dixie Crimson non-inoculated 50lb 75%germ $85. Bag of inoculant labled for crimson $7.
Apache Arrowleaf pre-inoculated 50lb 90%germ $105. (8-10lb/ac recommended)

ga. prime":3pks180q said:
Prices I recently paid:
Dixie Crimson pre-inoculated 50lb 95%germ $95. (15lb/ac recommended)
Dixie Crimson non-inoculated 50lb 75%germ $85. Bag of inoculant labled for crimson $7.
Apache Arrowleaf pre-inoculated 50lb 90%germ $105. (8-10lb/ac recommended)

I like your prices better. I paid $125 for 50 lb Apache Arrowleaf (pre-inoculated) and $148.50 for 25 lb Ball clover (pre-inoculated.

I don't know what Crimson would have cost. I'ts not recommended for my heavy soils.

nap":cnkp7yj5 said:
dun":cnkp7yj5 said:
I'm finding great disparities in price from place to place around here. Same goes for feed. I'm wondering if people are just locked into buying from their local feed store like myself. Clearly it pays to shop around.

Kaufman seed Co. in Ashdown, AR is a major supplier of seeds. I bought several hundred pounds of Crimson clover from them in Sept. it was about #100 for 50# they have inoculant for all types of legumes, mine was about $5.50 for each 50# of seed. They are fine people to deal with as well.

KenB":v8dwq714 said:
nap":v8dwq714 said:
dun":v8dwq714 said:

Kaufman seed Co. in Ashdown, AR is a major supplier of seeds. I bought several hundred pounds of Crimson clover from them in Sept. it was about #100 for 50# they have inoculant for all types of legumes, mine was about $5.50 for each 50# of seed. They are fine people to deal with as well.

Thanks for the information. Ashdown is not far from where we are located and it sounds like Kaufman's prices beat the local seed and feeds.

Latest posts