white cedar posts

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe

Reaction score
One of my neighbors bought 2 bundles of white cedar posts that come out of Canada. I was wondering if anyone has used them before and how they hold up. The pressure treated posts around here are about $8 for 5". The green stuff is only about 1/4" deep into the wood, there crap but all we can buy local. I put up 5000' of fence 3 years ago and some of the "pressure treated" post already look 10 years old. If I could find some locust post I would buy them but nobody ever seems to have any. Any info on the white cedar would be appreciated. I hate to keep buying the junk pressure treated ones.

You would have to look up "white cedar " on a site devoted to timber.
I could do it for you but that might make you lazy.

You probably know "Western Red Cedar" 's reputation but if not its as good as you can get for Durability.
Australia's Red Cedar is in my opinion as good and is called "Toona Australis" I think. I have about 4 cubes in the shed and won't part with it .

The other to look at if you can get it is "Turpentine posts" same durability number 1-thats what you should be after

Don't rush to buy any posts - i think I might know where there are some locust posts and I'm coming to Geoergetown soon anyway and I'm pretty sure that's close to you.
I'll send you a note as soon as possible.

Don't rush to buy any posts - i think I might know where there are some locust posts and I'm coming to Geoergetown soon anyway and I'm pretty sure that's close to you.
I'll send you a note as soon as possible.

kenojoe":39jz9lw0 said:
One of my neighbors bought 2 bundles of white cedar posts that come out of Canada. I was wondering if anyone has used them before and how they hold up. The pressure treated posts around here are about $8 for 5". The green stuff is only about 1/4" deep into the wood, there crap but all we can buy local. I put up 5000' of fence 3 years ago and some of the "pressure treated" post already look 10 years old. If I could find some locust post I would buy them but nobody ever seems to have any. Any info on the white cedar would be appreciated. I hate to keep buying the junk pressure treated ones.
Got a neighbor who drove several hundred of them about 3 years ago. Seem to be doing their job. They are 4-5" diameter.

We have used the cedar for numerous years now and they seem to hold out real well!! Also shoud be available in your area because I know other people got them from Kentucky??
I bought ours from Ohio.

Joe, I know the posts you are talking about. The same farm supply store you have in Cynthiana has a store in Russellville KY and I bought some there about 3 years ago. They are holding up great! That Canadian white cedar is different from what we think of here in KY as the white part that rots off of the posts on our red cedar. Supposedly the Canad cedar grows slower and has rings close together and makes them more resistant to water and have natural insect resistance. It's the same wood you used to see around houses for picket "weathered" gray fences. It should last as long as red cedar.

Did you see them at the Miles store?

kenojoe":2rqeamr4 said:
One of my neighbors bought 2 bundles of white cedar posts that come out of Canada. I was wondering if anyone has used them before and how they hold up.

Local unpeeled 4" to 5" white cedar posts are $2 each here. I use cedar on low ground and I use steel T posts on high ground. Cedar holds up well in water but "good" pressure treated posts should last longer than untreated white cedar.

I have been replacing some fences my Grandfather put in in. The oldest section was put in during the 30s. Steel T posts are being reused, treated posts are soft, and cedar posts are full of ants. My guess is that steel posts will last 40+ years, treated will last 30+ years, and white cedar will last 20+ years.

I went ahead and bought a bundle, they were $6.25 for 6" X 8' posts at Miles Supply. Nice thing about them is they are all the same size and all straight. I am going to soak them in homemade creosote for awhile and use them in the spring. Pressure treated posts around here are just dipped. 6" post is getting close to $9 here and they are junk. Thanks for the replies. Joe

Latest posts