White Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

toughntender

Reaction score
Here's a link to an article about the University of Florida and their herd of White Angus. I wonder what they crossed in to turn them white. They sure look like Murray Greys to me. :lol:

Rafter S":3nuip2sr said:
What's next? Black Charolais?
There has been black Charolais for a while. I got that story on the white angus today. My first thought was, I wonder how it would be to cross a black Charolais with a white angus? :lol2:.

I don't know what we will see this white angus deal turn in to, but if it's comes along pretty good, later on I might consider having a bull or some cows.

Just like religion, someone is always wanting to be different, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

If it sounds too good to be true ......

tnt,
I suspect there's some Charolais or Simmental back in the woodpile somewhere behind those white 'Angus', and that someone has been practicing selection for the color inhibitor or color dilution genes for enough time that these cattle are essentially homozygous black - but also homozygous for the color inhibitor/diluter genes.

Have two white cows in the herd here that go back to either an old yellow lineback Charolais-cross cow I bought in 1986, or to one of the yellow & white Simmental sires I used back in the late 1980s; I know what's behind both of them for the past 30 years. Both are essentially a 'black' cow (though both are red gene carriers), and will drop either black, red, or white calves, depending upon what they're bred to (Angus, Shorthorn sires).
One has a white Angus-sired calf this spring, which looks like those in the UF link, that is at least 31/32 Angus breeding; last year's calf was a red Shorthorn-sired heifer.
The other has produced one white and two black Angus-sired calves, and two black Shorthorn sired calves. Bred to a homo black bull her calves could potentially be either black or white/smoky - but, bred to a red or hetero-black bull, she could potentially produce a red, yellow, black, or gray/white calf - it's a genetic roll of the dice, but so far she's only produced black offspring.

Dang, they beat me to it. As showed in calf thread, have 5/8 black angus calves from mostly british white heifers and calves are mostly white. Was half serious about starting a new breed, but don't have the resources.

Wonder why a university would develop such a thing. I have been told repeatedly here that black cattle have no more problem with heat than others. I expect those people to call the University of Florida animal science department and straighten them out.

BTW, if people think heat is only a problem down south, it has been over 110 F in places here in Washington state the past few weeks.

djinwa":hllzr1ru said:
Dang, they beat me to it. As showed in calf thread, have 5/8 black angus calves from mostly british white heifers and calves are mostly white. Was half serious about starting a new breed, but don't have the resources.

Wonder why a university would develop such a thing. I have been told repeatedly here that black cattle have no more problem with heat than others. I expect those people to call the University of Florida animal science department and straighten them out.

BTW, if people think heat is only a problem down south, it has been over 110 F in places here in Washington state the past few weeks.
It gets hot here but then you forget about the winters.

M-5":2xmxszwm said:
Not the same kind of heat.

You got that right. I worked in North Dakota years ago when it got to 100 degrees the first week of September. I worked outside all day, and my shirt was still dry. Back home it would have been soaking wet by 9:00am, and stayed that way all day.