Which welder - Lincoln vs. Hobart

Help Support CattleToday:

Ruark

Reaction score
I need to buy a 220V AC welder, and can't decide between the "old reliable" Lincoln AC-225 and the Hobart LX 235. They both have identical specs, except that the Hobart has a few features the Lincoln doesn't. It adjusts in 1-amp increments, and has a slightly wider amp range: 30-235 vs Lincoln's 40-225. Prices are basically the same - the Hobart's $299 at TSC, the Lincoln's $289 at Lowe's/Home Depot. Also the Hobart weighs 85 lbs. while the Lincoln weighs 110 lbs. That may or may not be significant.

I have a nice 110V wire welder for smaller stuff (e.g. < 1/8"), and will be using the new one for everything else. I'm also considering going up to the Hobart 235AC/160DC, which TSC has for $476. Any input from you guys? Would the DC really be worth the extra money? I know it makes a smoother, neater weld, etc....

An ac machine would be fine for most farm repairs. You can use 6011s for most things. You can use 7018s for welds that are more critical and need the extra tensile strength. You can buy 7018s at tsc made for ac machines specifically. On a dc machine you would use 6010s in place of 6011s. Imo Miller makes the best electric machines but a Lincoln or Hobart would work fine.

I would second the idea of at least looking at Miller before making a final decision. And maybe check at a welding supply house. These are items you don't buy very often and might be worth a look around. jmho.

Jim

I'm thinking just go with an AC. DC makes a pretty bead, but it's not worth another $200. I know Miller's reputation, but they're humongously expensive and are probably overkill for this application. This will be mostly for stuff around the ranch, e.g. welding some angle iron to make a hay rack, the frame for a windbreak for the cows, that sort of thing. I was just wondering if there were any significant heads-ups on the Hobart vs. Lincoln question.

When I was looking for a new welder I was told that Miller and Hobart are the same company and very similar but that Hobart is priced for the big box stores.

B&M Farms":2ii5it5x said:
You can buy 7018s at tsc made for ac machines specifically.

Yeah, but according to manufacturer manuals, 7018 has to be stored in a heated cabinet. Don't need that hassle.

The Lincon buzz box is a fine little welder. Thats the one I would buy, I have had one for 35 years now and its still working.

I would probably just pick the lincoln "tombstone" . They are good machines. I used one as my primary machine for over 15 years. Still works great but my dad has it in his shop now and I have a Miller AC/DC 220V and a Miller AC/DC engine driven machine.

If you are just dinking around AC will work fine but I weld quite a bit and I will never use anything but DC again.

For what its worth I picked up my Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC used on Craigslist for $300.

7018 should be stored in heated cabinet to maintain all their specs but it is not necessary unless you are building a bridge or something critical. I use 7018 around the farm all the time and never have stored them properly and they work fine. Only two rods I use are 5P+ (6010) and 7018. The 6010 is a DC only rod roughly equivalent to the AC/DC 6011.

As long as you keep 7018s dry they will still make a good weld for the farm. The main advantage to a dc machine over ac is it is easier to make a smooth weld with. Ac uses a pulse arc that is harder to control. Ac can weld thicker metal at the same amperage though. When you price different welders look at the duty cycle. Most dc welders will have a higher duty cycle allowing you to weld longer without letting the machine cool down. I would want a duty cycle around a 100% at 120 amps. That would allow running 1/8 7018s or 5/32 6010s without stopping. It would take a little less amps on a ac machine to run the same rods.

You can buy Home Depot 20% off coupons from eBay. Most box stores will honor partial %. Lowes the full 20%, Menards 10%. I prefer Menards by far.

Ruark":r2ptmvns said:
I'm thinking just go with an AC. DC makes a pretty bead, but it's not worth another $200. I know Miller's reputation, but they're humongously expensive and are probably overkill for this application. This will be mostly for stuff around the ranch, e.g. welding some angle iron to make a hay rack, the frame for a windbreak for the cows, that sort of thing. I was just wondering if there were any significant heads-ups on the Hobart vs. Lincoln question.
Buy the best you can afford. When you consider the lifespan of a tool the $200 difference is peanuts. Years ago I bought a Miller Bobcat. ($1200, ought to give you an idea as to how old it is.) It was overkill at the time as I had no Idea how to weld. I now use it on a daily basis and is as good today as it was when new.

forrest":1dhuifiq said:
I would probably just pick the lincoln "tombstone" . They are good machines. I used one as my primary machine for over 15 years. Still works great but my dad has it in his shop now and I have a Miller AC/DC 220V and a Miller AC/DC engine driven machine.

Learned on one of them, Dad handed me a handfull of old 6011's that had been laying around the shop for 10 years soaking up moisture and a plow moldboard. To this day, I hate Lincoln buzz boxes with a passion. First time I used a Miller box I thought I'd died and went to heaven. Got two of the AC/DC Thunderbolts now, an old one and one that's 5 years old or so. Old one's a lot better machine.

If you are just dinking around AC will work fine but I weld quite a bit and I will never use anything but DC again.

For what its worth I picked up my Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC used on Craigslist for $300.

Couple of years ago I bought 2 of them off an internet surplus auction for a little over 100 bucks each. Gave one to a friend and I'm still using the other one.

Why buy another one.... you said you got a wire welder... and most of those are good up to 1/4 thickness..most thing on the farm arent gonna be much thicker than that anyway.....but if you wanna buy one it should be a Miller in my opinion.

circlebllc":2x9qf0tp said:
You can buy Home Depot 20% off coupons from eBay. Most box stores will honor partial %. Lowes the full 20%, Menards 10%. I prefer Menards by far.

You can also stop by the Post Office and tell them your moving and need a change of address packet, in it they have $10 off $50 and $25 off $250 Lowes coupons......you don't really need to move though.... :D

Thanks for all the advice. After all was said and done, I got the Hobart Stickmate LX 235 Stickmate AC at TSC for $299. I had to call SEVEN TSCs before finding one that had it in stock in an unopened box. Also got a box of 6011 to play with. Now I just need to find some scrap metal....

I'm gonna get a Premier Under Hood (onboard) Welder (DC) ( http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/ ) simply because I've used one before. They are easier to weld with than A/C units and I usually have my truck where ever it is I'm going to be welding anyway. Used to have one on a Jeep I had. Should have sold it without the Welder installed. I'll never make that mistake again. :cry2:

Latest posts