which variety of bermuda for forage in southern MO

Help Support CattleToday:

Sylvanglades

Reaction score
Hi all, We just had about 3 acres bulldozed and am trying to figure out what to plant at this time of the year. The dozer guy said to plant pearl millet. We are wondering if bermuda might be a good choice to keep the soil from erroding and for pasture. Does anyone have any ideas? If bermuda is a good choice to plant at this time of year, what variety might do best in southern Missouri? Should we listen to the dozer guy and plant millet and then reseed in the fall? We know nothing about millet. Thanks ahead for any help. Debbie -Sylvanglades

On new ground, personally I prefer to plant a seeded plant like millet for the first year. This gives me time to level and pick up any roots that seem to float to the top. I like a smooth clean field and this gives me extra time while also allowing me to graze. JMO

We're not that far south but the only people I know that have had an luck with bremuda have used Wrangler. There may be seomthing better out there available now thogh

Sylvanglades":pqncmd32 said:
Hi all, We just had about 3 acres bulldozed and am trying to figure out what to plant at this time of the year. The dozer guy said to plant pearl millet. We are wondering if bermuda might be a good choice to keep the soil from erroding and for pasture. Does anyone have any ideas? If bermuda is a good choice to plant at this time of year, what variety might do best in southern Missouri? Should we listen to the dozer guy and plant millet and then reseed in the fall? We know nothing about millet. Thanks ahead for any help. Debbie -Sylvanglades

Hi Debbie!

Ozark or most recently renamed to avoid another name is Ozarka. This bermuda hybrid grass produces about 15 tons per acre, (hybrid) implies you must sprig it, and it is rated for your climate. You can view photos from the Noble website out of Oklahoma.

The dozer guy said he went ahead and seeded the millet before I could get hold of him but I still want to overseed with bermuda. Will millet even hold the sandy soil? Does it have very much of a root system? Does anyone know if the millet will be too much competition for the bermuda if it does start coming up? It is very sandy soil and it's on a slope so I'm really concerned about erosion. Angus/Brangus, that was a great article on bermuda at missouri university and was really informative.
Thanks Dun for the tip on Wrangler. I started researching it and decided that's the way to go.
Everyone I called in MO had sold out of Wrangler but I found some down by my dad in northern Arkansas. It must be pretty popular. The same seed store had some Riata too which is a mix of wrangler and riviera. Couldn't find much info on riviera. I don't have a well on the place yet so I will have to hope for enough rain to germinate it. Thanks to everyone for all the good information. I'm always learning something new by reading these forums.

The millet is the best thing for now.

Overseed with ryegrass/clover this fall. You can broadcast this on top of the ground if you don't have equipment, etc.

Have you done a soil test?

Angus/Brangus":zlrt3c5j said:
MikeC":zlrt3c5j said:
The millet is the best thing for now.

Overseed with ryegrass/clover this fall. You can broadcast this on top of the ground if you don't have equipment, etc.

Have you done a soil test?

Mike - isn't here another shot at sprigging at the beginning of Fall? Or is it just too cold by then for this area? Down here, we can sprig in the Spring and then get another chance in September.

Never heard of planting bermuda in the Fall.

You can sprig anytime I guess, but the chances for moisture grow less as you get closer to Fall.

I would wait until next year. Put something down that you KNOW will hold the soil down until next May.

Just my opinion.

Thanks Mike. I suppose we really should plant annual rye and clover to be safe and then try the bermuda next May or early June. At the prices they want for Wrangler, it probably is too risky at this time of year here in south central MO. Farmers almanac says we're gonna be short on rain in July. My uncle just told me he planted a lot of wrangler in the past and it did real well for him in northwest AR. But he did plant it earlier than this. I sure hope millet is a good solution as I know nothing about it. But if somebody still wants to talk me into Bermuda - I'm all ears.