Which solar charger?

Help Support CattleToday:

ccattleco

Reaction score
I am trying to temporarily fence a few pastures at the back of my farm so I can make use of the grass since the perimeter fence is lacking. My group of heifers are trained to one strand of poly tape but I'm going to add another strand in these pastures just to be safe. The first pasture I am doing will be around 1500 ft of fence and later on, the second pasture would be 1700 ft, so in all close to 3/4 mile. It has to be a solar charger and I would like to buy one strong enough to handle both pastures. I don't have a fortune to spend but I also don't want to cheap out on something that won't get the job done. How many joules should it need? I am pretty good about keeping fence clean. Thanks for any input.

ccattleco said:
I am trying to temporarily fence a few pastures at the back of my farm so I can make use of the grass since the perimeter fence is lacking. My group of heifers are trained to one strand of poly tape but I'm going to add another strand in these pastures just to be safe. The first pasture I am doing will be around 1500 ft of fence and later on, the second pasture would be 1700 ft, so in all close to 3/4 mile. It has to be a solar charger and I would like to buy one strong enough to handle both pastures. I don't have a fortune to spend but I also don't want to cheap out on something that won't get the job done. How many joules should it need? I am pretty good about keeping fence clean. Thanks for any input.

Solar is going to limit the amount of joules that can be generated, but like Dave said, on this Board, the overwhelming response is going to be Parmak.

sstterry said:
ccattleco said:

Solar is going to limit the amount of joules that can be generated, but like Dave said, on this Board, the overwhelming response is going to be Parmak.

Would most recommend the Parmak 12v Magnum? I guess I wouldn't mind looking into battery powered if I'm going to get a better output.

Parmak 12 volt is the best and most powerful you will find for anywhere near the price. I have a dozen and they work great. Some of mine are running 4-5 miles of fence and shocking at 7.5-8 kv. Fence needs to be somewjat clean

sstterry said:
Battery is not going to be much better than a solar. As I recall, they would both be 12 volt.

Battery is solar, solar is battery.
All solar chargers run off battery power, just like anything solar. Solar simply powers the battery charger .
You can take the solar panel off any solar charger and it will still work just fine until the battery dies. A paramark 12 will run around a week with no solar panel and a fresh battery.

callmefence said:
sstterry said:
Battery is not going to be much better than a solar. As I recall, they would both be 12 volt.

All solar chargers run off battery power, just like anything solar. Solar simply powers the battery charger .
You can take the solar panel off any solar charger and it will still work just fine until the battery dies. A paramark 12 will run around a week with no solar panel and a fresh battery.

Makes perfect sense, kind of a "duh" moment. Lol. I'm new to all of this. Thanks for explaining!

callmefence said:
sstterry said:

I'm thinking about going with the Parmak Magnum 12 rather than the solar 12 model. It's kind of a big price difference, and I can swap out batteries for now until I can afford to install a solar panel.

ccattleco said:
callmefence said:
sstterry said:

I'm thinking about going with the Parmak Magnum 12 rather than the solar 12 model. It's kind of a big price difference, and I can swap out batteries for now until I can afford to install a solar panel.

That'll work. And it's a dam good charger
Fwiw . a good 10 amp panel can be had for not much more than a good deep cycle battery. Often two five amps can be less and accomplish the same.

callmefence said:
sstterry said:

Sorry I wasn't clear, that is what I meant. You are entirely correct.

I have had good luck with 12v charger. Parmark is a good one. 5 watt cheap solar panel and any 12v battery that will hold charge. I have swapped out completely dead batterys for cores that still had decent charge for free at local parts store. I have used everything from lawn mower battery to heavy truck batteries. Larger solar panels need a separate charge controller to avoid over charging.

I'm in the same situation as Rafter, got mine back in March or April from Valley Vet (free shipping also) and it has been flawless. They are pricey but appear to be worth it

sassafras manor said:
I'm in the same situation as Rafter, got mine back in March or April from Valley Vet (free shipping also) and it has been flawless. They are pricey but appear to be worth it

Mine is ordered so now I wait! What kind of battery are you running?

I bought a Parmak 12 from Southern States and a marine battery from Walmart to operate a temporary fence while I replaced the net wire fence along the highway. Never had to recharge the battery during the 6 weeks it took me to do the work. Checked the voltage everyday at 8kv + but the fence was only 1/2 mile long and clean.

ccattleco said:
sassafras manor said:

It shows on their website that it comes with a battery.

kenny thomas said:
ccattleco said:
sassafras manor said:

It shows on their website that it comes with a battery.

I bought the Magnum 12 UO- the one without the solar panel and battery.