Which is your favorite?

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn

Reaction score
A couple of Angus Heifers for your comparision. Both due late September.

DSC_1889_edited.jpg

Heifer is a November 2008 due in September.

DSC_1885_edited.jpg

Heifer is a September 2008 also due in September.

Which one do you like better. My favorite will be whichever one has a heifer. I hope they both do.

My wife & I both like the bottom heifer a little better. Cleaner fronted ,& more level topped, but both are nice looking cattle, Good luck. :cboy:

Two excellent prospects!

#1 - Carries more volume because she is a little larger heifer. She shows more femininity, more restricted heart girth because of her longer skeletal structure. From this view it appears as if she is tending to be cow hocked.(?)

#2 - More Terminal type than #1. Shorter neck, more arch to spring of rib, heavier hind quarters. She has an excellent udder structure. I think that at six years of age she will have shown more total Profit results, overall, than #1. No 1, in my opinion, will weigh in the 1400# - 1500# range at 6 yrs, and #2 will weigh around 1250# - 1300# at the same age, resulting in +/- $300 less cost for maintenance than #1.

These heifers are both optimal cow prospects, depending on what you are expecting them to produce for you. They both have excellent udders. And, of course, it depends on the 'genetics' to which you have mated them! That selection is crucial in the 'type' calves you obtain. You will get either Maternal or Terminal, depending on the strength of the bulls' genetics. If they have heifers, I would keep them both, and THEN start to consider the selection of the bull to which you will breed THEM in January or February of 2012.

DOC HARRIS

Thanks for all the comments. I personally like the bottom heifer alittle better, alittle more volume and width to her. I would gladly give up some feminity to the top heifer. The top heifer was the heavier calf at weaning and slowed a bit at yearling, which is a good thing in my opinion. The top heifer's dam is probably the most proven cow we own with over 10 calves as a 10 yr old, she was used as a donor at the place we bought her. The impressive thing about the donor cow is they flushed her twice and she bred back and qualified as a pathfinder female while they were "Stealing" those flushes on her. The bottom heifer was a show heifer this year so she had a higher level of nutrition which should contribute to her been alittle too fleshy for a heifer 60 days from calving.

Doc,
Nice catch on the leg set, her dam is alittle cow hocked. She is better than her dam but certainly not perfect. The bottom heifer (#2) will be a lot larger than 1250#, she was that in April. I hope to keep her under 1400#, the top heifer (#1) will be the more moderate heifer, even though the pedigree certainly does not line up that way.

Thanks for all the comments but I think the overall volume, width of the bottom heifer will be my pick. The most important things in a female we have yet to find out about these two (milking/mothering ability, fertility, and fleshy ability).

Bring them up here and let me see how they do in temps more suited to Angus.Now mind you it may take several years to run a good evaluation but by 2020 I should have a pretty good idea of how you should manage them

Scott,
When I first glanced quickly at them, I said #1. When I looked at them longer, (I think #2 is not standing completely sideways) I really liked the thick, longer shoulder of #2 and the deep girth and wide ribs starting right behind her shoulder, no cinch pinch.

Then I look at #1 and I see how full her gut stands out, and it flows right into her flank area, where it continues to stay full. It shows no sign of flank pinch. I see that a lot in bulls and cows. So, I like that in her. So, I had to think.

But I think the top heifer came out of a more Masculine bull with a big thick neck. They usually make the most feminine cows. Then I think, I just don't know!!! I think if I bought the #2 cow, I would think that I should have bought #1. But if I bought #1, I would not think so much about #2.

Getting down to both of the heifers, I'll take both! :nod:
Chuckie

jscunn":1i0jvmcm said:
Thanks for all the comments. I personally like the bottom heifer alittle better, alittle more volume and width to her. I would gladly give up some feminity to the top heifer. The top heifer was the heavier calf at weaning and slowed a bit at yearling, which is a good thing in my opinion. The top heifer's dam is probably the most proven cow we own with over 10 calves as a 10 yr old, she was used as a donor at the place we bought her. The impressive thing about the donor cow is they flushed her twice and she bred back and qualified as a pathfinder female while they were "Stealing" those flushes on her. The bottom heifer was a show heifer this year so she had a higher level of nutrition which should contribute to her been alittle too fleshy for a heifer 60 days from calving.

Doc,
Nice catch on the leg set, her dam is alittle cow hocked. She is better than her dam but certainly not perfect. The bottom heifer (#2) will be a lot larger than 1250#, she was that in April. I hope to keep her under 1400#, the top heifer (#1) will be the more moderate heifer, even though the pedigree certainly does not line up that way.

Thanks for all the comments but I think the overall volume, width of the bottom heifer will be my pick. The most important things in a female we have yet to find out about these two (milking/mothering ability, fertility, and fleshy ability).

At first glance (a couple of days ago) I liked #1 better. After reading your comments, I'm sure I'd like #1 better! Both are really nice!

George

Yessireebob Not even close!

:banana: gosh I wonder if that makes me as cool as Aero? :banana: :tiphat:

OK! seriously #1 for sure. She is definately the better LOOKING cow and has better credentials to boot.

I'll tip my hat to number 2. I prefer her rib shape, especially in the heart girth area. Prior to you giving us some history and weights I would have also thought she would be the more moderate of the two. I still think she has more balance, and while she weighs more, her frame score may not be far off heifer number 1's.

She's just more my style I guess. The first one is a nice looking heifer, and very impressive with her extension throughout. It's a good pair to have.

Latest posts