Which Crowding Alley?

Help Support CattleToday:

NorCalFarms

Reaction score
Thinking about upgrading to a curved alley. Worked cows with my wifes cousins, and they have a Powder River System 2000 curved, sheeted alley and push tub. Put my straight wood alley to shame. I really liked the ajustable width, made it nice going from cows to calves. The only thing they said they didn't like was the sheeting goes up so high if you have the alley full of calves you can't just walk along the alley and give them shots, you need something to stand on to reach down into the alley. They thought the half sheeted would be better, but I've always thought it kept the cattle calmer being full sheeted. What is your thoughts?
Looking at Behlen (Big Valley), Powder River, Stampede, and others, any advice or suggestions? I already have a push tub, just need the alley and maybe a new preg check cage.
Thanks

The big feedlots I am familiar with have full sheeted alley. In order to give shots, etc they have a walkway (catwalk) a foot or so above ground in order to reach into the alley. On an adjustable width alley this would probably need to be on the non-movable side. This could be a factor to consider in chosing the brand of equipment.

Good luck & best regards

Brock

Anybody have a Priefert alley? I see they make sheeted alley panel with the Preg check gate and cutout gate built in. That would be nice as buying that stuff adds up the $$$ quick on these other setups. Looks like a guy would just need 4 panel and 3 frames to make it work. It is straight, but again, $$$. And the sheeting is low enough you don't need catwalks. I hate catwalks.

We have always gotten by with a straight alley, are the curved ones that much better? The prices on these things are scary! :shock:

Since dollars were a concern and we had a number of medium weight priefert panels, we made our alleyway from priefert panels between the cheaper, less expensive is a better term, sweep and their palp cage and chute. Made the alley bows myself. In the first section of panels coming from the sweep installed a 12' panel with a 4' gate. Mounted 2 heavy panels on either side of the gate and that's were we load the trailer. Gate open and they go out the side into the trailer, gate closed and they procede down the alley. But our cows are all pretty calm and the heifers are trained to go through the alley when we wean so there isn;t a problem with them tearing things up.

dun

If the sheeting is to low, the cows can see over the sides. The whole purpose of sheeting is to prevent the cows from seeing what is going on.

We have a Hi Qual squeeze set up. The panneling on the curved alley and tub is high and it does keep the cows calmer. We weighed the pro's and con's of the high versus low and the high is what we chose. Instead of making a big issue out of it we just make the preg shoot smaller (with the alley) so the calves don't turn around and we line 3 to 4 calves in the squeeze (depending on there size) and preg shoot. Give them there shots and then send them on there way. When letting the ones out we open the preg door and the next set follow right in. We don't worry about the head gate just squeeze em' up and go. No stress on anyone.
Hope this helps and best of luck.
Double R

I bought the Priefert "Revolution" system last year along with their heavy duty squeeze chute. It's sure made this one man operation go smooth, especially since I was used to working with not much more than a pipe alley leading to a headgate.

PM or ask here if you got any specific questions on the system. Last year I think I paid around 5-6K for the whole package on sale but bet it's gone up with the way steel prices have been.

Lots of cash but dang well worth it IMHO.

J

Regarding a picture of the setup I'd say try http://www.priefert.com and then look for the "Revolution" sweep tub and alley. I'd try and find it tonight but the $!#$*&$ computer is acting up so all I know to do is turn it off, kick it twice, and then turn it back on. It usually get's me back up and running!

J

Texas PaPaw":1u7wmetb said:
The big feedlots I am familiar with have full sheeted alley. In order to give shots, etc they have a walkway (catwalk) a foot or so above ground in order to reach into the alley.
how can they reach the neck over the top of the alley? or are they going for the injection site blemish on the hip?

Thank you all, I am getting some good ideas here.

Double R, I really like the looks of the Hi Qual setup, is it easy to move the cattle through the alley without having to climb up on it much? (cause I hate catwalks ;-) ) I think thier guy told me the alley comes with two no-backs, do they work worth a damn?

EIEIO, is the alley on the Revolution just straight sheeted panels? I like the way they have the preg check gate and cutout gate built into the panels, one less thing to have to buy, but I can't for the life of me figger out how they keep the preg check door behind you latched while your in there with the ajustable width alley? So, maybe you can enlighten me :D

Now to check out Filson and some others.

I appreciated the advice, I really need a better alleyway for the safety of the cattle and the Mrs and I, but as always $$$ are short so putting together the 'right' setup is important for me. Thanks again.

You might check out W & W......We have used it for about 5 years and it works great.

NorCalFarms":i03x4hc3 said:
Double R, I really like the looks of the Hi Qual setup, is it easy to move the cattle through the alley without having to climb up on it much? (cause I hate catwalks ;-) ) I think thier guy told me the alley comes with two no-backs, do they work worth a be nice?
We never climb on our set up. We push them in and that is all. As I said before we just run them into the preg shoot and squeeze. No headgate on them and just give them there shots in a row. Let them out and push the next in.
We have had our set up for over a year now and we will never go back! We are very happy with the whole set up. It has lived up to every expectation.
As far as the no backs, I love them. One is about a cows length from the door into the squeeze. Once you have them in they are not getting back out without your help.
The other is just inside the alley from the tub. Makes it great!!! No fighting with getting them in cause there is no where for them to go.
If there is any other info that I can give you just ask. We are happy with the design process that they have in building there material. No trouble with stuff getting stuck from to much mud or manure. Everything is free flowing and it is a sinch to grease when we want to.
Best of luck!

NorCalFarms, regarding the preg. test cage the alley is adjustable and if you look at the picture you will see like a square arch where a set of panels connect to each other and over, right there is a sliding "door" behind the first set of panels behind where the squeeze chute would be. You just open or close it from the outside when you have the cow inside the alley. I like the sliding door as it can come in handy for more than just preg. checks. I also like the way the sweep is set up as there is no "blind" spot for the cattle to run into. I worked cattle with someone once that had a different sweep tub than mine and when you swung the sweep around the cows sometimes got confused and went to the blind spot (or whatever you want to call it) making it tough to get them back where they needed to go.

The alley adjusts from 18-28 inches if I remember right and also comes with one adjustable alley stop.

I'm 6' tall and have yet to have a problem leaning over the alley if I wanted to put a pour on wormer on a bunch of cattle at once instead of doing one at a time in the squeeze chute.

J

BTW- Hope this was clearer than mud, if not just ask and I'll try and give you a better description.

Latest posts