Which breed to use just starting out??

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
North Dakota (S. Cent. - E of Missouri River)
My family has been in the cattle business for about 40 years. I went to college & got away from it, but I want back in. I want to start out on my own & was thinking of starting a registered herd. The problem I am having is deciding which breed to go with. I am definitely going to choose between Red Angus, Gelbvieh, & Simmental or a combination of either of these. These are the predominant breeds in North Dakota IMO (besides Angus of course). The family is strictly Red Angus & Simmental, but I believe Gelbvieh would add some good growth & maternal traits. The only reason I got from the family as to why they don't want Gelbvieh is because they are too light in color & their udders get sloppy by the time they are 6 y/o. I think they have changed in the past 15 years, so that is why I am considering them as well. I'm just looking for opinions on why you would choose one breed over the other??? Thanks in advance.

Newb

I've seen a lot more Simmmenthals with worse udders then I've seen Gelbviehs. As to the light color, Red Angus also range in color from a very light red to an almost black red. We have Red Angus Gelbvieh and Red Angus Simmenthal crosses. To me it's about a toss up, both crosses make excellent, productive, long living cows that raise great calves. But it takes good groceries for either cross to raise a calf to it's added potential.

I would go with whatever breed of bull your family is using. If they are using Simmi bulls on their cows, I would raise Simmi cattle... If Angus bulls, then Angus... This will give you a place to sell your bulls.... Then you can see first hand what you need to improve on every year...

dun":3m7qrdep said:
I've seen a lot more Simmmenthals with worse udders then I've seen Gelbviehs. As to the light color, Red Angus also range in color from a very light red to an almost black red. We have Red Angus Gelbvieh and Red Angus Simmenthal crosses. To me it's about a toss up, both crosses make excellent, productive, long living cows that raise great calves. But it takes good groceries for either cross to raise a calf to it's added potential.

I agree that either cross will make productive cows. At this point, I think it's all about using solid cows with solid genetics. Thanks.

deenranch":358qiu7x said:
I would go with whatever breed of bull your family is using. If they are using Simmi bulls on their cows, I would raise Simmi cattle... If Angus bulls, then Angus... This will give you a place to sell your bulls.... Then you can see first hand what you need to improve on every year...
Thanks for the advice. That was my thought as well. I hope they would buy a bull from me. They have kept PB bulls from their own herd before, so I think that is possible. Is that why PB breeders have a commercial herd as well...so they can see what they need to improve on?

Latest posts