where to find one of these

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I need several spring operated gate locks that allows you to shut a corral gate and it locks when you shut it. it is a simple concept but I can't find anyone that sells them.it has a t handle with a spring at one end and on the post is a round pole cut in half with a hole cut into it to catch the bar when it is shut. please let me know where to get some of these gate locks

yeh like he said tractor supply has them but at around 20 bucks or more a piece they get pretty pricey

I don't believe I've ever seen the ones you're talking about sold seperately from the gates they are mounted on. The kind the other folks are talking about are what I use, but you have to have a pretty big post to mount it to. Pretty easy to open even with gloves on.

I can't get links to work this morning so you will have to type this one in. http://www.hoplok.com. There's also a site I've looked at that has a plan for these and other neat things to build them yourself. If I can find it again I'll give it to you.

These are the latches we have on all of our gates in the pens. They work well as long as you keep them from rusting up. Our pens aren't coverd yet and we have to go out the night before we're going to work the cows and hit them up with WD-40. Other then that they work great. You just have to make sure that when you weld them into the gates and the catch plates to the posts that they all line up perfectly before you weld them tight. A little bit off and when you slam the gate they could go all the way through and not catch the gate. I really like them because I can slam the gate in front of a cow to cut her off instead of trying to stop her with a sort stick or something. We got ours at the COOP in Bryan. I believe they were $25 and the catch plates were $5. We tried to build our own catch plate and they don't work, not to say someone better at fabrication couldn't make them but they have a sloped shoulder that facilitates the sliding of the spring loaded latching mechanism and it's worth the money to get those to me.

Latest posts