Where is the best cattle producing land in America?

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus

Reaction score
I consider these factors important.

# of cattle per acre land can support
quality of forage
potential for year-round grazing

What else should be factored in this equation? Where is the best cattle producing land in America?

With those factors in mind Id go with the south but there are other factors in mind.Available land,land preparation,price of land etc.Alot of the land down here youll have to develope for pasture because its timberland.Two,its getting scarce and exspensive.Forage is good .Out west you can get land ready to go and plenty of it but not as many head per acre.That being said im sure youll get many different answers.I bet alot of em will be Texas.It can be considered the south or west depends on who you ask and what part your in.

There are too many factors that go into it.

There is vast differences between my land here, and my land in East Texas. There I get plenty of rain, but the cows starve to death on that grass. The grass here has excellent nutrition, when it rains. We've seen the results of imported hay from wetter areas. Good looking bales but not much good for cattle.

Then there is the breed problem. If I were bent on raising certain breeds some of the posters are set on, I couldn't do it in this climate. Think about white tail deer. People here import really big bucks on to these game preserves. It doesn't do a lot of good even tho they feed deer here year round and plant crops for them. The offspring does not bring the results they expect. White tail up north are much bigger in the wild and have no special feeding programs. Some breeds of cattle are essentially the same. You start with big nice breeding stock but the offspring dwindle with each generation. They will eat very little when it gets really hot and hang out in the stock tank all day. They forage a little at night but that's about it. So you have to consider the breed.

If I were running a feedlot, I would want to have it in corn country. Corn is much cheaper in those areas since you are not paying to transport it.

There are many many other things to consider.

It seems that most do what's best for their environment and situation. If I moved to another part of Texas, let alone another state, I would have to start all over in my thinking.

Instead of cows per acre, the cost of land and taxes would be more important. If you can run 2 hd per acre at 5k and acre or 1 head per 2 acres at 1k per acre it would seem the second one would be cheaper. But I'm not mathematician

dun

redangus":1c0iyckz said:

quality of forage

What else should be factored in this equation? Where is the best cattle producing land in America?

hawaii would be ideal til you factor in transport.

Good post. But I doubt if you get a definitive answer. You might find a state like SD where you know that you can't graze more than 8 months, but because of land cost and taxes may give you the most bang for the buck.

jj216":22tceaf4 said:
Id like to see Caustics opinion on this.

Caustic has stated his opinion many times in variations. He has a very good opinion :lol: in my opinion.

I agree on his opinions.I would just be curious in light of recent post on grass farming if he feels he is in the ideal location or would he pick somewhere else if he could(hypothectily of course)I know he dont want to leave Texas.

jj216":10pkfnni said:
I agree on his opinions.I would just be curious in light of recent post on grass farming if he feels he is in the ideal location or would he pick somewhere else if he could(hypothectily of course)I know he dont want to leave Texas.

There are a whole lot of folks I work with buying up land in southeastern Oklahoma. It is cheap and good land. They tell me the grass there has strength in it. They get decent rain each year on average. It is not all that far from here so they can visit on weekends. Most are planning on retiring there. Seems the cost of living is good and Oklahoma has state income tax so other taxes aren't bad.

jj216":2a574usk said:
Id like to see Caustics opinion on this.

Boogie is right on as I have grass out my ass but it is poor quality and high water content. Heat is another factor and a reason I don't care for black cattle except Brangus. A more moderate frame cow is much more efficient here.
Central Texas has some really good grass and mild winters but it is a crap shoot when it come's to rain.

Some of the most impressive operations I have seen have been central La., Ms, and Al. good grasses and more consistent rainfall.

If I were to relocate it would be between Buffalo and Waco.

Thank you sir,I figured youd have a good opinion on this.I know our forage is great in the south.I figured I get opposition from the westerners on their open ranges and land availablity.Im suprised people aint postin like crazy pluggin where there from.Its human nature to love your homeland.Id say all areas have there own argument.Forage is good here just wish I had 5000 arces of it.

Beefy":3qazvggl said:
redangus":3qazvggl said:

quality of forage

Parker Ranch beat you to it. :lol: How would you like working on this place?

http://www.parkerranch.com/Parker-Ranch ... king-ranch

dun":29py3r0m said:
If you can run 2 hd per acre at 5k per acre, or 1 head per 2 acres at 1k per acre, it would seem the second one would be cheaper.dun

1) Stockman Grass farmer has published several Nebraska articles where the cheapest type of pasture / cow in that state was irrigated. Cheapest pasture per acre was range.
2) Beef magazine had a recent article that showed (unimproved?) pasture cost per cow. I recall that Montana was the most expensive state listed. Must be too many movie stars out there!
3) Lots of PR recently on large New Zeeland owned grazing dairys going up in southern Missouri. I believe these boys must have a sharp pencil. What is land going for down there, and what is the stocking rate?
4) I am closing on 120 acres on Friday. Heavy soil with rundown hay ground at $850 per grazable acre. Grazing season is about May 1 to October 1. Spring stocking rates are 700 to 1,200 pounds/acre.

Parker Ranch beat you to it. How would you like working on this place?

Got the T-shirt. In-laws brought it back from one of their cruises.

I've always been told you can ship cattle from east to west and from south to north but not the other way around. In the seventies I leased 10 sections in Northeastern Wyoming and could have eventually run about 300 mama cows. Then the oil companies landed on it and there was a drilling rig every 1/4 section. Within a year even the antalope pulled out. Thing is noone in that country did anything to improve pastures then. They were plenty good enough just like they were. Down here you can run more cows on less land but you have to work at it.Z

tytower":pg964qtr said:
Beefy":pg964qtr said:

Couldn't you just eat them there?

No feed supply, no feedyards, no packers.

Parker feeds most of their cattle at Decatur County in Kansas.

They are boated to Seattle and trucked in from there.

Latest posts