Where is all the lease land?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher":2mkzr4ui said:
ffamom":2mkzr4ui said:
Our new agreement with CRP states that we can lease it for grazing if we repay the government the money we go for leasing it. New lease is good for 20 years. I couldn't believe the 20 year part.

Can our Govt really think and make deals that far out??

How could you ask such?

So let me see if I get this right. Say you get $50/acre/year from the government to help conserve the pilleated wiregrass sapsucker flower but you lease it to one of your children for $1/acre so you pay the gov't this rent money and then your child subleases it to someone else for $75/acre and you pocket the $49 difference and your child keeps the $75 and whatever conservation was supposed to take place with the taxpayers money doesn't. I imagine if they didn't have such tight restrictions on it everyone would be in this useful program.

I want to thank all of you who responded to my request for advice and information that I posted last week. Baleflipper, it was great to meet you and thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and ideas with us. As it turns out, the land isn't in shape to be leased due to overgrazing and the drought. I think neglect may have played a part too but that's water under the bridge. So basically we are in a position where we need to restore the land before it can be grazed again. I'm a research hound and since I posted last week, I've learned a lot. My current area of research (obsession?) is grasses - native or not - and how to get this farm back in shape. I think I will be spending a lot of time on Cattletoday - great place, and again, thanks to all.

Latest posts