Land Swindlers

Help Support CattleToday:

rocfarm

Reaction score
I keep getting mail containing offers for my land. The price is always horrible.

The folks seem to be untraceable, as everything is behind a company name(s).

As the offers keep coming, I'm assuming that these people make money buying land from people who don't know its value in their local area, are not aware of big projects coming to town soon (new loops, highways, infrastructure), or are simply infirm and perhaps a bit senile.

Wondering if there is a way to discourage these people.

Anyone have any success?

I keep getting mail containing offers for my land. The price is always horrible.

As the offers keep coming, I'm assuming that these people make money buying land from people who don't know its value in their local area, are not aware of big projects coming to town soon (new loops, highways, infrastructure), or are simply infirm and perhaps a bit senile.

Anyone have any success?
It is a scam. All you can do is ignore them.

Anyone have any success?
Tell them you'll only consider their offer if they send it with substantial earnest money which will be non-refundable regardless of whether you accept the offer.

Actually... any kind of contact with them would probably be a bad idea.

I did discourage a company that was preying on a lot of people in Arkansas. They did a lot of phone soliciting to sell people very expensive siding and windows. They called one day (after calling about once a week for months) and I had just sold the farm out in the country. So I acted all excited and said that they called at the right time because I needed siding on TWO houses. I told them I had call forwarding (remember that?) and they could call the number they'd just called and it would transfer to the farm out in the country. I gave them directions... at this corner you'll see an old blue truck, at this corner you'll see a giant tree with a limb broken on the ground, etc... and then I gave them one wrong turn.
This was before cell phones. The guy called about a half hour later than the appointment was and I asked him if he'd seen the pick-up, the tree, etc... and then I told him he missed a turn and gave him another wrong turn. He called back three times, me acting like I was madder each time and finally calling him an idiot because he couldn't follow simple directions.
They never called me back.
And I don't feel bad at all.

We get something like that every few days, like Kenny said it goes in the trash can.
I think a lot of it is scams. I have gotten texts too referencing a fictitious address property that they want to buy. Then get post card size ads in the mail with the same name as the texts.
We often get post card like ads with pictures of our properties too, saying they will buy regardless of condition no hassle, fast payment etc. I think those are outfits that are into buying property at wholesale prices and flipping them.
Wouldn't want to fool with them.
A few years ago, we were looking to relocate and wife's sister in law that's a real estate agent in another state, inquired around for a fairly local agent. She said she didn't want any that said they already had a buyer. A young feller from Keller Williams came out and he seemed to imply that we should be able to get a real good price for our property.
Said he worked with somebody that was more into land than he was and when he brought her, it was very evident that they were playing that game too. She was running it down trying to lower our expectations so we would list it well under value. She would have then had a buyer come in and buy it and turn around and flip it. The more she talked she revealed her game. I looked at some properties online a county or two over and the outfit she was with was listed as the owners. So I don't trust many of the supposedly legitimate real estate agents and companies.
We are still holding on to our property and not as anxious to go anywhere at this point.

We get something like that every few days, like Kenny said it goes in the trash can.
I think a lot of it is scams. I have gotten texts too referencing a fictitious address property that they want to buy. Then get post card size ads in the mail with the same name as the texts.
We often get post card like ads with pictures of our properties too, saying they will buy regardless of condition no hassle, fast payment etc. I think those are outfits that are into buying property at wholesale prices and flipping them.
A few years ago, we were looking to relocate and wife's sister in law that's a real estate agent in another state, inquired around for a fairly local agent. She said she didn't want any that said they already had a buyer. A young feller from Keller Williams came out and he seemed to imply that we should be able to get a real good price for our property.
Said he worked with somebody that was more into land than he was and when he brought her, it was very evident that they were playing that game too. She was running it down trying to lower our expectations so we would list it well under value. She would have then had a buyer come in and buy it and turn around and flip it. The more she talked she revealed her game. I looked at some properties online a county or two over and the outfit she was with was listed as the owners. So I don't trust many of the supposedly legitimate real estate agents and companies.
We are still holding on to our property and not as anxious to go anywhere at this point.

That's another thing... I've listed rural property at market prices for as much as five years without a nibble. But after getting disgusted with the real estate services I've pulled my listing and advertised the property myself and have always sold it quickly. Real estate people take a huge cut, too. I know they have expenses, but the percentage for rural property is ridiculous.

My land is in 3 parcels. The offers are always for the little 40 acre parcel. I feel like replying that the parcel is land locked with no access, no water, and no power. Getting any of those 3 would cost a lot more than the land. If they want to buy the entire place come with a large 7 figures in cash. As in green bills in their hand. I don't take checks or plastic. Then we can talk.

Hard to believe this is not explicitly illegal…

That's another thing... I've listed rural property at market prices for as much as five years without a nibble. But after getting disgusted with the real estate services I've pulled my listing and advertised the property myself and have always sold it quickly. Real estate people take a huge cut, too. I know they have expenses, but the percentage for rural property is ridiculous.
There's actually a lawsuit going on about that now. The cut is ridiculous.

My land is in 3 parcels. The offers are always for the little 40 acre parcel. I feel like replying that the parcel is land locked with no access, no water, and no power. Getting any of those 3 would cost a lot more than the land. If they want to buy the entire place come with a large 7 figures in cash. As in green bills in their hand. I don't take checks or plastic. Then we can talk.

The last one I got tied to buy 350 yards of my 700 yard long road, 'free of encumbrances'.

What kind of person wants to cut off your access to your land?

But I get these often. Really wish I had a way to push back.

And, if it's obvious that someone is taking advantage of an elderly person or naive young person who inherited, does the appraisal office flag the transaction and talk to the seller? Just seems weird that these scams can exist so easily…

At least some of the scam is they will get you to sign a sales contract for 30 or 60 days and maybe give you $100 to tie it up. Then they try to sell it for a big profit before the time is up. If they dont sell you keep the $100.

My problem with this is how are they getting the information? I know it is public record, but they must be getting it electronically. With the information floating around on each of us someday we all will be screwed.

My problem with this is how are they getting the information? I know it is public record, but they must be getting it electronically. With the information floating around on each of us someday we all will be screwed.
It is sold to them in most cases. Someone is setting at home researching courthouse data and selling the results. It wasn't as bad before the counties digitized the files and allowed remote access but it was still available if someone took the initiative to go to the courthouse and write it all down. There were these people many years ago.

What really irks me is that they are now calling my cell phone. My number is not public record and is on the National and State Do Not Call list. When I ask how they got my number, they simply hang up.

It's been about 40 years, an out of state buyer waltzed into the county and bought a large tract at the edge of town. Pennies on the dollar, they thought. That tract had been a lumber mill up until a couple years prior. After the purchase was completed, they became the proud new owner of a future EPA superfund site.

Last two properties we sold (19 & 2 yrs ago) were by 'sealed bid', with right to refuse offer if 'floor' not met. Both brought almost unimaginable prices.
0.6 acre lakefront propertywith 100ft of shoreline netted TWICE the $$ any realtor had told us it would bring; neighbor was a 'motivated' buyer.

It's public record. Any county nowadays has their land records accessible on the internet and some of the information might be best not published for public inspection.

The ones I get here come in the mail, usually as a postcard type thing with a photo of my home and yard on it from some outfit either down in Austin or out of state.. round file.

Thank goodness our county has none of that information online. If a guy wants it he has to goto the courthouse and stand around while they dig thru deeds based on a name and description.

I'm sure the time is fast approaching where it will all be at someone's fingertips.