Land Swindlers

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank goodness our county has none of that information online. If a guy wants it he has to goto the courthouse and stand around while they dig thru deeds based on a name and description.

I'm sure the time is fast approaching where it will all be at someone's fingertips.
It's available online in any places I've bought real estate.

As of last fall none of ours was online. I'm a forester and buy standing timber and have to go to the court house and bring the clerk an iced coffee to get the landowners information I need while I wait. Most everybody else has to come back later.

It's available online in any places I've bought real estate.
Yep. They have programs to pull it all from the courthouses too. It's a big business. That and the letters trying to buy minerals.

I can pull up every thing you own if I have your name and county from my cell phone right now.

I run the onx app also which is not as good as CAD but shows ALOT and I can have it on as I run up and down the roads seeing who owns what and how many acres.

Yep. They have programs to pull it all from the courthouses too. It's a big business. That and the letters trying to buy minerals.

I can pull up every thing you own if I have your name and county from my cell phone right now.

I run the onx app also which is not as good as CAD but shows ALOT and I can have it on as I run up and down the roads seeing who owns what and how many acres.
Eid, gotta be.

Ken

Actually, kinda makes our point. Once they have your info, they can expose you to other things that aren't in your interests.

With an LLC, you can remain anonymous.

Many counties are given the software and in many cases the hardware to digitize the records and even some will provide someone to set at the courthouse entering records for free. Why? because then they have everyone in the county's information to sell. I know that is how the last county I lived in got their records done. No law against any of it, it's all public information.

It helps the count's appraise land, dwellings, and buildings while driving down the road. Satellite imaging is incorporated into it now to see if and when a building was added so they can assess taxes on it.

Last edited:
Actually, kinda makes our point. Once they have your info, they can expose you to other things that aren't in your interests.

With an LLC, you can remain anonymous.
Most people make themselves or family members an officer in the LLC, which will be listed online. A quick Google search brings all that up, also, along with mailing addresses. It's not hard to connect the dots.

I had the huntx app i think it was called. It was more incorrect than correct.

I had the huntx app i think it was called. It was more incorrect than correct.
Some areas are better than other. The lines are not always exact and the deeds can be dated. The smaller the properties in the area the worse it gets.

It's handy though for scanning what's around you and giving you an idea. From there you can go to the county site and pull it up in more detail if necessary.

Some areas are better than other. The lines are not always exact and the deeds can be dated. The smaller the properties in the area the worse it gets.

It's handy though for scanning what's around you and giving you an idea. From there you can go to the county site and pull it up in more detail if necessary.
I agree.
2 of the counties i worked before i retired were very good online. County i live in still lacks some. One of the counties i worked didn't even have good records in the courthouse. But it was 70%+ owned by 1 coal company

Our county still uses paper records in boxes for anything that hasn't changed hands in the last 2 or 3 years. Up until probably 4 years ago the clerk would let us in the file room to find our own deeds and records when hunting timber and trying to locate legal descriptions.

They are slowly digitizing but we aren't there yet.

The counties around this one are all online and it makes being a forester much much easier to say the least.

Our county still uses paper records in boxes for anything that hasn't changed hands in the last 2 or 3 years. Up until probably 4 years ago the clerk would let us in the file room to find our own deeds and records when hunting timber and trying to locate legal descriptions.

They are slowly digitizing but we aren't there yet.

The counties around this one are all online and it makes being a forester much much easier to say the least.
I spent a lot of hours going through old deed books. Some were hand written and something hard to read.

Our records moved from one courthouse to another along the way. Many got wet somewhere along the way. Me and the surveyor have spent lots of hours interperting old wet deeds.

As of last fall none of ours was online. I'm a forester and buy standing timber and have to go to the court house and bring the clerk an iced coffee to get the landowners information I need while I wait. Most everybody else has to come back later.
You gotta love a small town and the girls you went to High School with that work at the County DCD. I applied for a 3200 sq ft shop permit on a Monday morning walked across the street to renew my concealed carry permit. My CCP permit came Thursday and Wednesday they called and said pick up your shop permit already. Building permits were 2 months out at the time.

When I first purchased land in my area, it was pretty cheap and sellers were not likely to pay for a surveyor when they could rely on an old deed that might date back to the early 1800s. Some of these were as general as "on the waters of the Kentucky River and bounded on the north by Jones, east by Smith, south by Thomas and on the west by Greene, supposed to contain 85 acres, more or less".
A century or more might go by with no dispute at all. This has transitioned to modern surveys over the years but my homeplace deed still talks of the neighbors who lived in the area before the Civil War and uses as corners, trees that have been long gone for well over a hundred years.
Our local PVA offers aerial photos with red lines drawn to show property lines and who owns the property with its acreage.

Still, it might be interesting to digitalize the situation. If it came to court, some long standing arrangements might be hard to defend.

When I first purchased land in my area, it was pretty cheap and sellers were not likely to pay for a surveyor when they could rely on an old deed that might date back to the early 1800s. Some of these were as general as "on the waters of the Kentucky River and bounded on the north by Jones, east by Smith, south by Thomas and on the west by Greene, supposed to contain 85 acres, more or less".
A century or more might go by with no dispute at all. This has transitioned to modern surveys over the years but my homeplace deed still talks of the neighbors who lived in the area before the Civil War and uses as corners, trees that have been long gone for well over a hundred years.
Our local PVA offers aerial photos with red lines drawn to show property lines and who owns the property with its acreage.

Still, it might be interesting to digitalize the situation. If it came to court, some long standing arrangements might be hard to defend.
My land is that way now. deed shows old fence lines as the property line. I pay taxes on 4 acres less than the digital map shows I own.

None of the lines here are right. One of the neighbors has a house which BLM claims is on federal property. The house was built well before the BLM even existed.

I often wonder if these offers ever work. Usually mine has an offer that's about 1/3 of the going rate locally. If anyone is selling land that cheao then I need to start sending out letters

I often wonder if these offers ever work. Usually mine has an offer that's about 1/3 of the going rate locally. If anyone is selling land that cheao then I need to start sending out letters

I know of an olde woman who sold land way to cheap. It does happen.