Where is all the lease land?

Help Support CattleToday:

Saw an ad in the state cattlemens mag. Air force is leasing some land out for custom bailing. Taking bids.
Hmmmm, kinda like I was thinking on some of this unused gvt land.

Please don't laugh; I'm here seriously seeking advice and information.... My husband just inherited 140 acres from his mother (may she rest in sweet peace) which was leased to a cattle man who retired a while back. Suddenly we are in the position of needing to get this land leased for cattle (or some other ag animals, although to my knowledge this acreage has only been used for cattle). I've been designated to help since my husband is swamped workwise. I don't know the first thing about how to get land leased. The ranch (is 140 acres even called a ranch?) is east of Austin. Could someone kindly tell me how to get started? I've been googling but apparently I'm not putting in the right search terms because I'm not finding helpful information. Although cattletoday.com came up and I have a feeling you folks know a lot. Any help/ideas appreciated.

I had 100 acres next door to one of my leases come open. I was driving by and there was a sign on it, pasture for rent. I didn't write down the number. I took the whole sign home with me. Maybe slightly unethical but that way nobody beat me to the phone call. I didn't have the cattle to fill it so got a pot load of 5 weight heifers in on a $ per head per month basis. I am not getting rich baby sitting somebody elses cattle but it does pencil out in the black. And I have the pasture locked up while I figure out how to best put it to work for me next summer. It is summer pasture only. The half a dozen duck blinds scattered around on it might indicate that it gets a bit wet in the winter.

Here it has mostly gone into deer hunting. Some graziers try to sell MIG gazing pasture twice a year - - in June and in September - - to keep it green but most hunter owners just don't like or understand cattle.

BMatheny,
My first option if I were in your shoes would be to ask any neighbors with cattle that border you, especially any large ranches. Don't just ask them if they want to lease it, ask them what lease land is worth in your area. Drop off your contact info and something will turn up by word of mouth.

BMatheny, I am south east of Austin.I am looking for lease land. I am close to the Travis county ,Bastrop County and Caldwell county junction.If this is the same area IM me.
East of Austin covers half of Texas!

Baleflipper -- I just tried to IM you, not sure it went across. The lease land is out past Manor near Webberville. Does that narrow it down for you? Is that a location that might interest you? BMatheny

We are witnessing the buildup to the next big cattle bust. Don't chase that grazing land in good time. Chase it in bad times. You adventurous young guys are gonna bid that grazing to where Warren Buffet couldn't make money. And he starts with more than you.

John250 you have hit the nail on the head. Thats what the deer hunters did around here. And Stocker Steve deer hunters don't
like folks running around their land. And the deer don't like it either, they will move to where people don't go to bed up.

john250":2vwkxv7i said:
We are witnessing the buildup to the next big cattle bust. Don't chase that grazing land in good time. Chase it in bad times. You adventurous young guys are gonna bid that grazing to where Warren Buffet couldn't make money. And he starts with more than you.

So are you saying that is not a light at the end of the tunnel? ;-)

cross_7":2sqol9xy said:
iso
i know some guys in western oklahoma that have oklahoma school land leased.
don't know about your part of the world but i the way i understand it they hold an auction for the leases.

but i've have the same problem
here is my ad on craigslist
wanting long term grass lease for cattle in dickens, kent or garza counties.
looking for 160 acres and up.
must have good fences and water.
i will pay by the acre or by the head.
i'll take care of your place like i do my own and pay a fair price

The school land is not necessarily a good thing. The places around here aren't kept up or taken care of. People over graze them and the fences are horrible. I would prefer a relationship with an owner vs trying to outbid everyone and their dog each time and would rather the owner be interested in up keep as well.

I thought there were some changes in CRP coming about that might create more available grazing land. There was 1300 acres that just came out of CRP next to us.

Our new agreement with CRP states that we can lease it for grazing if we repay the government the money we go for leasing it. New lease is good for 20 years. I couldn't believe the 20 year part.

All the chicken farmers are saying that in 2013 the govt is gonna start paying the crp folks to cut their timber and put the land into rowcrops. I don't know if you will get the govt check plus a rental check or just a govt check.

Heck, they are pushing the trees up here or giving them away to plant cotton here. I've seen more land cleared this year than I have in the last 15 years combined. With cotton prices dropping you gotta wonder wtf are these farmers thinking. I know one who is laying over 2000 acres of good moderate sized pine to clear up for cultivation. The opportunity loss of not holding this another 8 years is going to be in the millions. Its a sad day when people base their business decisions on gov't subsidies.

ffamom":4m8nw528 said:
Our new agreement with CRP states that we can lease it for grazing if we repay the government the money we go for leasing it. New lease is good for 20 years. I couldn't believe the 20 year part.

Is this some special program or are all leases going to 20?

Jogeephus":2k8fjxu0 said:
Heck, they are pushing the trees up here or giving them away to plant cotton here. I've seen more land cleared this year than I have in the last 15 years combined. With cotton prices dropping you gotta wonder wtf are these farmers thinking. I know one who is laying over 2000 acres of good moderate sized pine to clear up for cultivation. The opportunity loss of not holding this another 8 years is going to be in the millions. Its a sad day when people base their business decisions on gov't subsidies.

BTW, did you hear, I can now get a free data plan for my free cellphone? That's my best shot at cheering you up.

john250":ih4sjgqt said:
Jogeephus":ih4sjgqt said:

BTW, did you hear, I can now get a free data plan for my free cellphone? That's my best shot at cheering you up.

What would cheer me up is an unlimited minutes plan. You gotta have those unlimited minutes else its all for nought.

What kind of package are you offering? If we're talking the premium package with all the good commercial free channels then you might as well toss your suit cases cause you are the MAN. Besides, this is what the constitution meant when it said,
insure domestic Tranquility
. And how can you have domestic tranquility in your house if you are always having to change channels to skip the commericials or if the cable and light bill people keep calling wanting their money. I NOSE MY RIGHTS!

ffamom":1xyzuhj4 said:

Can our Govt really think and make deals that far out??