Where is all the lease land?

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
I have been trying to lease land around here for the past year and a half. I thought for sure when all the cattle were sold off due to drought I would be able to get my hands on some. Nope! Every Tom, Dick, and Harry that sold out is still hanging on to the leases. I've posted on CL, and knocked on door after door but no luck. I guess folks are just waiting for prices to drop and cutting hay till then, which I guess I can't blame them that's exactly what I'm gonna do if I can find any.

the truth is people just dont lease their land out like they used to years ago.bout the only way i know you might get land to lease is buy the herd thats on the land if you can lease the farm.i know a guy that did just that years ago so he could lease the land.

I've been looking too Iso and I think I lucked up and found a place. Everything else is in pines, peanuts, corn, or white gold. :bang:

Around here everyone is row crop crazy. We need a good drought to bring them back to reality. Forget that they would just receive an insurance payment and another low interest government loan. I've got a close friend who borrowed to build a grain bin from the government with low interest, made 3 times what the bin cost on the increase in corn now has the govt. money to rent or buy more land with. His response is why not?

I gave up 2 places and lost 2 places last year . It seems that everytime I get a place cleaned up and fences fixed someone comes along with more money than sense and doubles what I'm paying . One place I lost last spring the owner called me last week and said it hadnt been mowed since I left and the guy was all talk and didn't do what he said . She wants me to take the pasture back . I told her no at first but I called with a offer today. 5 year lease with the first 2.5 free so I can afford to get the place back in shape . She is supposed to call me tommarow with a answer .

JSCATTLE":6sa3rt0x said:
I gave up 2 places and lost 2 places last year . It seems that everytime I get a place cleaned up and fences fixed someone comes along with more money than sense and doubles what I'm paying . One place I lost last spring the owner called me last week and said it hadnt been mowed since I left and the guy was all talk and didn't do what he said . She wants me to take the pasture back . I told her no at first but I called with a offer today. 5 year lease with the first 2.5 free so I can afford to get the place back in shape . She is supposed to call me tommarow with a answer .
There is one place half a mile down the road that I have been waiting on. Stopped by and talked to the lady yesterday and she said she wasn't leasing to the other guy any more, before I could get excited she said he didn't take care of it and she was going to buy calves and put on it herself. :? She walks with a cane and has no one to help her. :bang:

Eveyone around here is trying to get on the gravy train. Including me.
I got lucky and have about 90 acres total in leases now. All the large tracts are gone but the smaller ones are getting snapped up now too.

Isomade":3mirgsor said:
JSCATTLE":3mirgsor said:
There is one place half a mile down the road that I have been waiting on. Stopped by and talked to the lady yesterday and she said she wasn't leasing to the other guy any more, before I could get excited she said he didn't take care of it and she was going to buy calves and put on it herself. :? She walks with a cane and has no one to help her. :bang:
You did tell that as soon as the calves came in you would be there to help her and how nice of a place she has didn't you?

It has helped me by not needing to lease anything that way when I talk to someone it's take the offer or leave it . I don't appear to need the place and they don't come back with off the wall requirements . I've looked at several places with out pens bad fence or tall weeds and I turned all of them down . It's to much work for the heart ache you get in the end .

We are renting our uncles place. Mainly winter wheat and malt barley. A little bit of pasture that we put up as hay.
Got some school trust fund land that is both farm land and pasture.

Isomade":1fma1sco said:
I have been trying to lease land around here for the past year and a half. I thought for sure when all the cattle were sold off due to drought I would be able to get my hands on some. Nope! Every Tom, Dick, and Harry that sold out is still hanging on to the leases. I've posted on CL, and knocked on door after door but no luck. I guess folks are just waiting for prices to drop and cutting hay till then, which I guess I can't blame them that's exactly what I'm gonna do if I can find any.

I had 200 acres offered last year that has 70 acres of real hayfield for 1400 a year. If I hadn't been downsizing and selling my hay equipment I would have jumped on it.

Talked to the guy, whose place I'm wanting to rent, and he wants me to come by one day so we can talk some more. I hoping it works out. Its 80 acres with a 5 strand barb wire fence. It borders my parents place.

hooknline":2nnfz5g1 said:
Good luck cw
Yep, I wish you the best. I got a line on 80 today and went by and talked to the older gentleman that owns it. It's just been sitting there for 10 years. He has a guy to cut hay on it but he only gets 1/3 of the hay for his part and sells it for $25 per bale. I asked him if he would lease it and he said he was thinking about buying cows with prices being so good. Then he asked me how much pairs were going for now. :lol: I thought I was gonna have to pick him up off the ground when I told him. He said he will think about it. Then I got a call back from a guy with 160 acres tHat said he wasn't going to lease any more and said he was thinking about it and was gonna be in town this weekend and wants to visit with me. :D

Caustic Burno":ril4kuzh said:
Isomade":ril4kuzh said:

I had 200 acres offered last year that has 70 acres of real hayfield for 1400 a year. If I hadn't been downsizing and selling my hay equipment I would have jumped on it.
Hot dam, if it's any good ill lease it and let you tend to my cows for me. :D

iso
i know some guys in western oklahoma that have oklahoma school land leased.
don't know about your part of the world but i the way i understand it they hold an auction for the leases.

but i've have the same problem
here is my ad on craigslist
wanting long term grass lease for cattle in dickens, kent or garza counties.
looking for 160 acres and up.
must have good fences and water.
i will pay by the acre or by the head.
i'll take care of your place like i do my own and pay a fair price

Isomade":1eeahte3 said:
Caustic Burno":1eeahte3 said:
Isomade":1eeahte3 said:

Hot dam, if it's any good ill lease it and let you tend to my cows for me. :D

Neighbor grabbed it up, I have been kicking my ass every since should have never put a cow on it just had it custom baled the whole thing. The pasture's are that good.
Neighbor put about 30 cows on it.

Struck out on another 120/AC today. Seems like EVERYONE is going to get into cattle now that prices are sky high.

Latest posts